• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest, It's time to unify

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Surplus1, Thanks for the info, I have an ALPA background as a prior member. You are correct in what you shared. I just hope the rest of the guys realize the value in having a voice. There is value in being able to dig your heels in without concern of repercusions.

Why the next drive will fail

While there has been a ground swell of discontent at SkyWest, here's why the next ALPA drive at SkyWest will fail.

Who will for YES and who will vote NO?

Newhires overwhelmingly will vote NO - flat out newbee coolaid drinkers

Most pilots at small bases in California will vote NO - They're under the radar and out of the way. Nobody bugs them as long as they don't screw up. Mostly content, after all as long as they can catch a wave now and then life is good.

Most senior captains will vote NO - They're not happy with the way things are going, but don't think a union will fix anything. They'll be outta here in 5-6 years anyway.

Jerry wannabees will vote NO - A smattering of folks who just admire Jerry and have full confidence that he will take care of them through thick and thin.

Reserve captains will vote YES - Constantly understaffed and abused, reserve captians will vote a resounding YES.

Mid & low seniority lines holders mostly YES - Tired of the decline in QOL.

Pilots from Pilot families vote YES - "My Daddy worked for YoNited and he says I need a union!"

When the votes are tallied it will be very close but the next ALPA drive will fail.

Ben, I disagree with your assessment of senior pilots. Remember that it was the senior pilots who fueled the last drive. Also, most senior pilots are in their late 40's to early 50's, hardly out of here in the next few years.

SSDD,
My survey of YES/NO votes is informal and anecdotal at best. You may be correct. I have been surprised, though, that some very senior captains I have spoken with are not union supporters.

Why it will pass................

While there has been a ground swell of discontent at SkyWest, here's why the next ALPA drive at SkyWest will fail.

Who will for YES and who will vote NO?

1. Newhires overwhelmingly will vote NO - flat out newbee coolaid drinkers

2. Most pilots at small bases in California will vote NO - They're under the radar and out of the way. Nobody bugs them as long as they don't screw up. Mostly content, after all as long as they can catch a wave now and then life is good.

3. Most senior captains will vote NO - They're not happy with the way things are going, but don't think a union will fix anything. They'll be outta here in 5-6 years anyway.

4. Jerry wannabees will vote NO - A smattering of folks who just admire Jerry and have full confidence that he will take care of them through thick and thin.

5. Reserve captains will vote YES - Constantly understaffed and abused, reserve captians will vote a resounding YES.

6. Mid & low seniority lines holders mostly YES - Tired of the decline in QOL.

7. Pilots from Pilot families vote YES - "My Daddy worked for YoNited and he says I need a union!"

When the votes are tallied it will be very close but the next ALPA drive will fail.

1. We can change that. It's our job to enlighten the newbies. Something we haven't done a good job of in the past. That will change as the koolaid is starting to taste like crap.

2. Possibly, but they are small bases with small numbers.

3. Flat out wrong. Let's just say I'm in the top 7% of the seniority list. Those around me (with a few exceptions) are all pro union. Have been for a long time.

4. Again, it's our job to change that line of thinking. We may not change all minds, but a few may be all it needs. Witness the last ALPA drive results.

5. Yep.

6. Yep.

7. By your logic, I should therefore vote no. My Dad isn't a big fan of ALPA at all, but is a retired airline pilot.

AF :cool:

I'm surprised by the following anti-union types:
a.) Super senior, first airline job: (these are actual quotes from a single CA) "Jerry wants what's best for me personally.", "Unions are pure evil.", "I don't think I'm underpaid.", (no kids, wife is a nurse)
b.) Shafted by x other airlines and doesn't want to rock the boat: (paraphrase) "Yeah, I was ALPA at Piedmont, Allegheny, AirWisconsin, and Mesa, but it didn't really work out for me at those places so I'll trust in SGU to take care of me.

SkyWstman said:
The problem is not them. It's us. Let's not play the victim anymore. Let's slap ourselves into the real world and take back what's been stolen. We don't have to let our a$$'s get kicked anymore. We need professional, powerful, representation. We need unity in the group and we need teeth. Let's deal ourselves an ACE.

Trouble in the "Workers' Paradise?" Who'd a thunk it?

The power of your representation will be directly proportional to the involvement of your pilot group. Best of luck getting things turned around there.

Morning Wood said:
Skywest folks,
Morning Wood said:
Don't forget a union would instantaneously fix the 401K problem. Our senior pilots are losing hundreds of thousands of dollars in the long run because SGU is incapable/unwilling to fix our "retirement plan."

Really? How?

You should ask SAPA to explain this to you instead of asking on a BBS. That should tell you all you need to know about the priorities of SAPA: SAPA first and then maybe the pilots. SAPA will never explain the benefits of a CBA to the pilot group. SAPA is about SAPA. SAPA is what is important to SAPA.

If they will not answer your question, and they will not, since you have accesses to the internet you will need to research the issue yourself. Me typing that a CBA would IMMEDIATELY lead to separate testing of NHCE vs HCE employees with a CBA probably will not change you mind. If that will not change your mind, then call your friends at other airlines with 401k programs and CBA and ask if they are having the same problem that SkyWest pilots have had over the past 4 YEARS.

Isn't that great we have SAPA and we all have to research many, many of these issues by ourselves.

Good day

Splert said:
You should ask SAPA to explain this to you instead of asking on a BBS. That should tell you all you need to know about the priorities of SAPA: SAPA first and then maybe the pilots. SAPA will never explain the benefits of a CBA to the pilot group. SAPA is about SAPA. SAPA is what is important to SAPA.

If they will not answer your question, and they will not, since you have accesses to the internet you will need to research the issue yourself. Me typing that a CBA would IMMEDIATELY lead to separate testing of NHCE vs HCE employees with a CBA probably will not change you mind. If that will not change your mind, then call your friends at other airlines with 401k programs and CBA and ask if they are having the same problem that SkyWest pilots have had over the past 4 YEARS.

Isn't that great we have SAPA and we all have to research many, many of these issues by ourselves.

I didn't say they couldn't/wouldn't fix it. I simply wanted to know how
they would " instantaneously" fix it. I don't think ALPA or anyone else
can work that fast.

Ben Dover said:
Newhires overwhelmingly will vote NO - flat out newbee coolaid drinkers

Unfortunate that the people who are getting $h!tted on the most would vote no.

Mgmt: "Hey little boy...wanna be a real airline pilot??? Come on over and we'll hold you hostage for two months and not pay you a dime!".

Little boy's response..."OK, that sounds great! Can I pay for my Jepp charts too? Thanks for letting me work here...I'll never vote for a union!".

I am a former SKYW pilot. If I were there today I'd vote for ALPA. Too many times the proverbial carrot has been dangled in front of the SKYW pilot group. Especially when a union vote comes up.

Time to organize, harmonize and Simoniz!

GP

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back