• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest, It's time to unify

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How would a union affect health care cost? Ours at XJT is not in the contract; it only states that we will receive the same coverage as other employees of the company. I hardly think that puts them in a bind.

The last thing I want to see at SkyWest is an adversarial relationship between the pilots, and management. I think the fact that SkyWest Mgmt has kept a union at bay for so long is a sign that they have been generally good to their pilots. The last thing I want is a militant bunch of "representatives" that cripple the management of the company. We need for SkyWest to remain competitive.
It appears though, that the times are a changing. When one side of the relationship starts taking advantage of the other, fractures start to surface. We are seeing that here. Too many interpretations go against us. Where is my Ace? My medical insurance costs more, and pays out less than it used to.
I came from a union airline to SkyWest. That said, I am not a pro-union flag waver. Having union representation will not solve all of our problems. Voting in a Union will not cripple the company as some would have you believe. I think it is not a question of if, it is a question of when. The decision to unionize will have consequences, good and bad. SkyWest hs been hiring lots of guys with previous 121 exp. Mostly from union carriers. I think most of them ill see it my way. These are not all blinded by the shiny new jet CFI's.
Now, where is that card? I am ready to sign......

rtmcfi said:
The last thing I want to see at SkyWest is an adversarial relationship between the pilots, and management. I think the fact that SkyWest Mgmt has kept a union at bay for so long is a sign that they have been generally good to their pilots. The last thing I want is a militant bunch of "representatives" that cripple the management of the company. We need for SkyWest to remain competitive........ Now, where is that card? I am ready to sign......

Cool. Just make sure you all elect some reps that aren't crazy burn the house down types and you should be okay.

rtmcfi said:
The last thing I want to see at SkyWest is an adversarial relationship between the pilots, and management.

This is a common misconception out there that if a group unionized that "relations" will go down the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ter. I heard this a lot at Commutair when ALPA was trying to organize them. Also at Chicago Express. Plain and simple, it just ain't so!

Even after both of those pilot groups voted AGAINST organizing their managment/pilot relations took a dive.

At Express Jet we have a pretty good relationship with our managment team. In fact we had a Security Conference today and almost half of the attendees were managment representatives. ALPA Committees are involved in day-to-day ops at the airline all the time (scheduling, compliance, safety, security, hotel, etc.....)

It's been said in the previous posts, your MEC is what determines the strength of your union, and it's both your MEC and your management team that determine the working relationship.

SkyWest joining ALPA will only serve to strengthen the profession and the union. I would suggest that if this picks up steam have your organizing committee get very close with the MECs at the other "feeder" carriers.

Good luck to you guys in whatever you decide.

pianoman said:
Cool. Just make sure you all elect some reps that aren't crazy burn the house down types and you should be okay.

Yea....like our old EWR FO rep...man was he a firecracker. :D

surplus1 said:
The bottom line is: it would also be better for you.

Best wishes.

There's the union mentality again. It's always about what is best for me and not the company. Great, so you put a few extra dollars in your pocket and increase your QOL for a while. Next thing you know, the airline is strapped for cash because the wages have increased and the profits have decreased. Remember, that DLC and United connection are negotiated pay rates based on completion. If Skywest is making too much they can switch to another airline at the expiration of the contract or much sooner if the legacy carrier files bankruptcy and voids the contract.

"You have had several opportunities to organize and rejected them all, so there is no one to blame for the things you are complaining about other than yourselves."

Don't you think that a statement has already been made. The pilot group was obviously anti-union as of the last vote and with all of the new hires in the past 2 years the new guys are most likely fine without a union. They don't want to rock the boat or maybe, just maybe they are actually happy to have a job and enjoy what they do. There's my $.02. Enjoy

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back