Skywest, It's time to unify

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Dark Side is calling....

Mesa has a very weak MEC and also a management that is not scared or care one bit about what the union has to say. They will do what they want and draw it out as long as they can even if the union grieves it.

Ive been at XJT for over 8 years. The progress we have made is simply amazing. We went from 10 days off and 13.49 an hour for new hires to up to 12 (in 31day months) and a lot more pay. When I could have taken my first upgrade the pay was 27-29/hr.....even for the RJ!!! Im now at over 70/hr. I don't train on my days off. I hardly ever talk to crew scheduling. I've asked for and gotten 3 round trips dropped in the last 6 weeks. In 2004 I had 199 days off.....even with picking time up for OT. I trade my whole line to do only trips I want. I overnight at home about 2 times a month. I always get commutable trips unless I want something else.

The cool thing with ALPA are all the committees we have. Saftey, Jumpseat, Scheduling, pro-standards, hotel, ect. Management has realized that it's easier to let us as a union handle all this stuff than for them to do it and listen to us b1tch. For instance, our union builds our monthly schedules!!!! They get guidance and direction as to what needs to be flown but the union does 90%. It pretty cool if you think about it.

The best thing is not worrying about my job. If the company does somthing thats not right the union goes to battle not the pilot. (major issues)... So we are not intimidated, theres no reason to be. I highly suggest the pilots of Skywest get on board....no matter which union for christ sake do somthing!

Soooooo...

Where would one get one of those fancy NMB cards to fill out and send in the mail?

www.alpa.org has no mention of means or methods by which a group might get the ball rolling...

Steveair said:
How much a year are Union dues?

Steve,

Dues are 1.95% of your pay check, my 4/30 paycheck had $43.93 taken out of it for ALPA and that is at $61.60/hr and 37.5 hours (base pay check with no credits). So far this year I have paid just under $400 in dues and it is money well spent IMHO! As others have pointed out ALPA has a lot to offer, yeah things aren't always rosy but the pros far out weigh the cons.

1.95% of your W-2 wages. Take your gross pay then back out all of your pre-tax deductions like health insurance, 401k, etc and you come up with the amount they use to take your 1.95%. This entire amount is also tax deductible as a job related expense. If ASAP ever saves you from being violated or if you ever have to use ALPA aeromedical, your dues are well spent. Add in all the other stuff ALPA can do for you, and it is easily worth the 1.95%. However, like it has been said in above posts, ALPA will only be as good as your MEC leadership. ALL pilots need to be active in making sure the right people are in at the MEC level. At the very least, every pilot needs to attend LEC meetings and know what is going on and who is doing it. If stuff isn't getting done, you can always recall and replace LEC and MEC leaders.

mckpickle said:
Ive been at XJT for over 8 years. The progress we have made is simply amazing. We went from 10 days off and 13.49 an hour for new hires to up to 12 (in 31day months) and a lot more pay. When I could have taken my first upgrade the pay was 27-29/hr.....even for the RJ!!! Im now at over 70/hr. I don't train on my days off. I hardly ever talk to crew scheduling. I've asked for and gotten 3 round trips dropped in the last 6 weeks. In 2004 I had 199 days off.....even with picking time up for OT. I trade my whole line to do only trips I want. I overnight at home about 2 times a month. I always get commutable trips unless I want something else.

The cool thing with ALPA are all the committees we have. Saftey, Jumpseat, Scheduling, pro-standards, hotel, ect. Management has realized that it's easier to let us as a union handle all this stuff than for them to do it and listen to us b1tch. For instance, our union builds our monthly schedules!!!! They get guidance and direction as to what needs to be flown but the union does 90%. It pretty cool if you think about it.

The best thing is not worrying about my job. If the company does somthing thats not right the union goes to battle not the pilot. (major issues)... So we are not intimidated, theres no reason to be. I highly suggest the pilots of Skywest get on board....no matter which union for christ sake do somthing!

This sounds exactly like SkyWest when I hired on 4 years ago. Now we have more in common with mesa and are a far cry from the respected airline I once worked for. Show me the card, I've had enough.

-PissedDog

NoJoy said:
So very true. A union might improve things-but there is no guarantee. Especially with ALPA. Better to have an in house union ala UPS. AlPA will galdly take your money though; results will very.

We tried that...............guess how that went?

Some of us need to step away from the koolaid jug for awhile. How much longer are people going to put up with a continuing degradation of QOL, floating interpretation of the CPM with no recourse, PBS coming down the 'pike whether it works the way it needs to or not, the 401k debacle for the senior guys, ad infinitum.

WAKE THE FU(K UP!!!!

AF :cool:

Latest resources

Back