• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think ALPA or anyone else
can work that fast.

A CBA will fix it "that fast".

The 401K test will need to be applied to only those covered by a CBA. No negotiations needed. The fact that we would be covered by a CBA is all that is required for seperating 401K plans.

SAPA will never tell us that.... :rolleyes:

Good Day...

Last edited:
mckpickle said:
Ive been at XJT for over 8 years. The progress we have made is simply amazing. We went from 10 days off and 13.49 an hour for new hires to up to 12 (in 31day months) and a lot more pay. When I could have taken my first upgrade the pay was 27-29/hr.....even for the RJ!!! Im now at over 70/hr. I don't train on my days off. I hardly ever talk to crew scheduling. I've asked for and gotten 3 round trips dropped in the last 6 weeks. In 2004 I had 199 days off.....even with picking time up for OT. I trade my whole line to do only trips I want. I overnight at home about 2 times a month. I always get commutable trips unless I want something else.

The cool thing with ALPA are all the committees we have. Saftey, Jumpseat, Scheduling, pro-standards, hotel, ect. Management has realized that it's easier to let us as a union handle all this stuff than for them to do it and listen to us b1tch. For instance, our union builds our monthly schedules!!!! They get guidance and direction as to what needs to be flown but the union does 90%. It pretty cool if you think about it.

The best thing is not worrying about my job. If the company does somthing thats not right the union goes to battle not the pilot. (major issues)... So we are not intimidated, theres no reason to be. I highly suggest the pilots of Skywest get on board....no matter which union for christ sake do somthing!

You have pointed out some important truths, especially in the last paragraph. When things go wrong it is up to the committee members to first offer guidance and then the MEC, if necessary. Issues that need resolution are not handled by people in some big glass building at ALPA HQ. The ALPA HQ is only a place of resource for the individual MEC's.

You are only as strong as your pilot groups will, and your MEC. Remember, YOU are ALPA, not a group of lawyers hudled in a building. The same holds true for AMFA (Mechanics), AFA (Flight Attendants), Teamsters (Truckers and UPS), etc.

Unionizing at skywest changes nothing unless they realize that it is something that they WANT and will USE!

Rant over!

Mike

Going union will also drive the cost of health care up for us. SkyWest gets a break on there insurance because they do not have any unions. Who do you think will bare the cost of this? The pilot group! Im not for ALPA and also not pro company, but you need to think of the other thing's a union brings on the company.

Splert said:
A CBA will fix it "that fast".

The 401K test will need to be applied to only those covered by a CBA. No negotiations needed. The fact that we would be covered by a CBA is all that is required for seperating 401K plans.

SAPA will never tell us that.... :rolleyes:

Good Day...

Actually SAPA had told us that and I have personally discussed a pilot only 401k with Mike Krupp. One of the problems as you stated above the 401k tests would only apply to thoes under the CBA. We still have pilots not putting enough into ther 401k. I agree though this is the biggest issue that needs to be resolved with any TA or Union drive

amcnd said:
Im not for ALPA and also not pro company, but you need to think of the other thing's a union brings on the company.

Why don't you remind all of us ALPA members how much your 70 seat captains are making.....

Actually SAPA had told us that and I have personally discussed a pilot only 401k with Mike Krupp. One of the problems as you stated above the 401k tests would only apply to thoes under the CBA. We still have pilots not putting enough into ther 401k.

There are more NHCE outside of the pilot group than within. We are 2000 out of 7000 total employees. The weighted average is heavy on the NHCE non pilot group employee. A guess would put the number close to 6000 NHCE. These contributions far out weigh the contributions of the HCE. A CBA would put the NHCE number closer to 1700 not 6000 with the same approx. number of HCE.

SAPA didn't tell us. They may have told you and you may have spoken to MR. Krupp but SAPA has never told us.

Question: Name another pilot group who can't contribute fully to the 401K program other than SkyWest. COMAIR makes more than us and as a result they have more HCE and would be further out of balance. Why aren't they?

Good Day...

homie said:
How did ALPA help the pilots of Alaska Airlines regarding their recent pay cuts?

If you think "ALPA" or any union is going to prevent a pilot group from ever taking a pay cut, you are sorely misled. ALPA's resources will allow an individual MEC to improve pay and benefits in the good times and mitigate their loss in the bad times but at the end of the day, it is up to the individual MEC to utilize those resources to their fullest extent and ultimately the membership will have a vote on the course of action. Alaska's MEC agreed to binding arbitatration - ALPA National did not agree for them.

-Neal

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back