Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BluDevAv8r said:
Steve,

Good post. I just want to clarify something you said though...all lineholders get 12 days off in ALL months...it is reserves who only get 12 days off in 31 day bid periods.

-Neal

Sorry Neal, I was refering to what New Hires could expect.

Go get em Skywest guys. Don't fall for the carrot again.

We've needed a union here for the last 2 decades, the problem is there are too many tea drinkers that just don't, and never will "get it"!

A union will only be as strong as the MEC and the people on the union board...if the same people get voted to the union board as we have on the SAPA board, don't you think it will be the same result?

-Ichi

The SAPA guys won't be runnin the show. They've showed us nothing. All they can say is "yes Sir management that's a good point. We'll tell that to the pilot group." There are some excellent guys that are true to the profession that will be availing themselves.

Management's job has never changed. Their job is to extract every penny of productivity out of the work force. They are excellent at that. I don't fault management. I just don't see why there are some folks who just don't understand that. Management is doing exactly what they are supposed to do and they always will. They will push and push and take your lunch money until you stand up and punch them in the nose. Enough already guys, they will never give you anything. Several years ago during a drive they promised top of the industry payscale. Where is it? Then they promised an 18 month TA which led many of us to believe that we would go to a separate payscale with higher pay for the 70 seater. 18 months come and gone. Same old story. Lie after Lie after Lie. The recent seniority breach with the 70 training. They don't care. They are not supposed to. You are the only one who can make a difference. Kneel down and put your lipstick on for them or get up and vote and make a difference. I'm done with this crap and you should be too. It's also much bigger than us. Once we unify we can join the rest of the industry and begin to take back what's been stolen. We can do this thing! It's gonna take time but it is doable.

Truckdriver,

From what I understand, the ASAP reports are view by a management rep, the FAA, and a pilot rep. It seems to work the same way you describe at your company.

The pilot rep, I believe is someone from SAPA. It does seem to work the same as mentioned earlier.

Illinois said:
Skywest folks,

Don't forget a union would instantaneously fix the 401K problem. Our senior pilots are losing hundreds of thousands of dollars in the long run because SGU is incapable/unwilling to fix our "retirement plan."

Really? How?

SkyWstman said:
Management's job has never changed. Their job is to extract every penny of productivity out of the work force.

You are right about that and joining a union will not change that. However, if you manage your union well, you can give management the maximum productivity that the law allows, which is 1000 flight hours per year, under jointly agreed and controlled conditions in which you have a legal voice than cannot be ignored. Today, you have no legal voice at all in anything!

Do I think you all should join a union? Yes, I do and have for many years.

Will it solve all your problems overnight? NO, it will not do that and it probably will NEVER solve all of your problems. The big difference will be that the Company will not be able to change whatever you agree to without your consent. That's very different from the status quo.

Your "first contract" will probably be inferior to many other contracts. That's usually the case, but it will be a legal contract, not an "understanding" that the Company can change at will.

As an outsider, I don't think you have any reason to complain about not getting your expected 18-month change in 70-seat pay. You never had a "TA" that you keep talking about. You never had a "contract" and you don't have one now. The Company can change your pay to whatever it wants, whenever it wants. It can do that to any other make-believe "agreement" that you have.

As long as you are not members of a union with a legally negotiated contract, you are "employees at will." You may think you have a seniority sytem but the fact is you do not. Today, your seniority is whatever the Company says it is, whether you like it or not. You can pretend all you want but that is a legal fact; you have no real seniority. If tomorrow they decide to take it away the only legal choice you have is to quit. The truth is the majority of you aren't going to do that no matter what management does, and you can bet they know it.

ALPA has a great many problems, particularly as it relates to its regional pilot membership. Neverthless, if you decide to join a union, ALPA is definitely the best game in town. It is literally miles ahead of whomever is in second place, regardless of all its many faults.

ALPA can't and isn't going to get you a "great contract". Whatever contract you eventually get will depend on SkyWest pilots, not on ALPA. The difference is simple: when you do get a contract, it will be a real contract and legally binding on both you and the Company.

Yes, the company can still violate your "real contract" just as it violates the make-believe agreement that you have now. However, you WILL have legal recourse with a union. At present the only recourse you have is to pout, which is YOUR fault. You have had several opportunities to organize and rejected them all, so there is no one to blame for the things you are complaining about other than yourselves. That's what you wanted (in the majority) and that's exactly what you have, i.e., nothing.

When you have a union, you can still have a lousy contract if that is what you choose to negotiate. MESA is a good example of that. However, MESA pilots did NOT have to accept that contract, it was a choice that THEY made. Granted they were "set up" both by their management and the actions of ALPA. Be that as it may, they are the one's that decided to take what they have. They did not have to do so. You can follow in their footsteps if you choose or you can do much better if you wish.

When the XJT pilots were talking about getting into ALPA I had a lot to say about it that they did not like. Many of them interpreted what I said as being anti-ALPA. They were wrong. I was not against them joining ALPA, I was against them doing it as a part of the CAL MEC. Now that they've figured out that was not in their best interests and have their own MEC, they are doing just fine. They had one of the worst contracts under the IACP (again mostly because it was a CAL union, not theirs.) Today, as independent members of ALPA, the XJT pilots have negotiated one of the BEST contracts in the regional industry. They are proud members of the ALPA in their own right and you would do well to take their advice.

If you are going to become unionized, my adivice would be the same as theirs: join the ALPA and do it now. No matter what contract you ultimately get for yourselves, the other benefits of the ALPA are more than worth the dues you will pay. Just one serious medical problem, or one threat to your license from the FAA, one "fender-bender" of an incident, and you'll learn in a heartbeat the value of being a member of the ALPA. An independent union does have its advantages but, for a small airline, which you are, the disadvantages outweigh them. The ALPA is the best way to go, IMO.

Just think about this as the last example. What will you do if tomorrow SkyWest buys or creates another airline that does NOT include you? How will a totally powerless organization like SAPA deal with that? Answer: You would not have a leg to stand on. They can wipe you out, transfer your airplanes and your flying with the stroke of a pen and there would be absolutely nothing that you could even TRY, legally, to do about it. Think it can't happen? Don't bet on it!

Yes, I have a self-interest. The fact is that as long as you remain a non-union airline, your pilot group is a potential threat to mine and to every other unionized pilot group, large or small. My group has already felt the impact of your very unwise compensation decision and so have countless other "union" pilots. So, it is true that it would be better for the rest of us if you decide to join a union.

The bottom line is: it would also be better for you.

Best wishes.

I couldn't agree more with surplus. I'm a relatively new guy at SkyWest and I have been served the kool-aid. Boy did it taste good but I soon realized what I was tasting.

I hope that we can vote in ALPA as soon as possible. What worries me is the new guys with the shiny jet syndrome. We as SkyWest pilots need to start taking it upon ourselves to indoctrinate these guys with the reality of our situation. I would say probably more than 70% of our pilots don't even read these message boards (including our own sapa forums), and therefore are naive about the situations affecting our pilot group. There are other ways to learn about what is affecting us today but more than likely that info is coming from management (kool-aid).

Sorry for the rant I am just tired of seeing our situation degrade here and I want to start down that road of fixing things.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back