Skywest hiring ASA pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Originally Posted by outtahere
So what happens to the ASA guys that go over when we go through DOH integration?

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...OUTHOUSE YOU CRACK ME UP. Seriously though, when we STAPLE your butt to the bottom of our list those guys that jumped ship will be your capt.

sweptback said:
What doesn't make sense is the transferring of airplanes. That is just to spook us, plain and simple.

Really...I hope you don't think that.
It makes perfect sense to transfer 700's to SkyWest from a business standpoint. ASA compared to SkyWest is more expensive in operating the 700. Why wouldn't they. They can consolidate there SLC operation which will aid in reducing overall expenses to SKYW Inc.

The airline execs don't give a damn about you! All they want to do is maximize profit and line their, shareholders and the boards pockets green. Will we see SkyWest flying out of ATL you bet we will. Does this mean the end of ASA no way. That'll never happen. ASA isn't going away. SKYW Inc. will do all it can to change your perception on the industry and your airline specifically, in a attempt to lower your costs. It happening right now right in front of you. Is it union busting, possibly. It doesn't matter that you are union and SkyWest is non-union. They(airline execs) have total control. You as pilots have very little control. So you strike...ok....me as an airline exec...I don't give a damn...you cant stick it to me! Ive already made more millions then you, your kids and their kids will ever see in a lifetime. Do you think they lose sleep over that, over your well being, no!

No one cares about you(your management or your union board members) or any other pilot out there. You are merely a money making replaceable tool. You are easily influenced and your perception is skewed.

I'm not a pessimist. Although my post may seem that way. If pilots could truly have a body that represented them as a whole, without money clouding the situation, we would all be better off. Unfortunately money corrupts even the best and most idealistic ones. There is the problem, Corporate America.

I'm ready
Take you best shot!

Bum

BuzzSaw said:
Joe Merchant,

Are you sleeping with JA?? You sure like him a lot.

"He's so wonderful, smart and brillant!!"

BuzzSaw

If you saw what he is sleeping with you would probably empathize with him if he was sleeping with JA.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
front9 said:
[/i]

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...OUTHOUSE YOU CRACK ME UP. Seriously though, when we STAPLE your butt to the bottom of our list those guys that jumped ship will be your capt.

I doubt this rather strongly occurring. JA has a happy pilot group. Why staple a bunch and get them very pissed and chance a vote of ALPA? There will be some grief on both sides but a percentage merger will be more likely.

SkyNation said:
great question, one I've yet to hear a good answer for. the only attempt was someone claiming that they are all 'infiltrating' SkyWest so they can vote in ALPA. riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigght.........
How about this. Most if not all of the people transfering to Skywest are the ones who attended these pilot mills and virtually bought their jobs to try and skip the line. As soon as they realized they would not be able to upgrade here as soon as they hit 1500 hrs. they try to "change lanes" and skip the line once again. While on one hand this may seem logical, think about driving on the interstate and changing lanes frequently, eventually you wind up behind everyone. Kind of like what will happen with a merger between the two companies. There are no fast lanes in this industry, some way, some how, you will end up paying your due.

At this point it is about control.

Skywest management has never had to deal with union negotiations and has been able run the company anyway it wanted - for the last 25 years. Just like most normal US companies.

This is partly the reason for their success, being able to change operations quickly to market conditions.

Also, like most successful companies they realize the importance of a happy work group to the bottom line.

Initially, Skywest was optimistic about ASAs future as part of Skywest. They probably even hoped for a culture change at ASA. Negotiations have gone nowhere and Skywest has lost control of ASA. ASA is now a big frustration.

In all negotiations it is important to have a BATNA - your Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement.

Skywest’s best alternative is to delay, shrink, and transfer assets and if there is a strike, settle, shrink, and transfer assets.

Skywest’s BATNA will cost more in the short term but they would retain control for the long term. What is that long term control worth to Skywest?

What is ALPA’s BATNA?

Last edited:
flyforfood77777 said:
However, I have heard the vast majority of people who work there love it (unless you are a dissisent who supports unionizing), and Skywest is unquestionably one of the most stable airlines out there.

Maybe you should stick to subjects you know something about.

Being in favor of unionization doesn't make someone an unhappy employee. In fact many pro-union pilots set a very high standard for themselves and are model employees. They do their utmost to get the job done in an efficent manner. There are some very respected senior check airmen that are in favor of unionization that could hardly be called "dissidents."

You're one of those people who operates under the falae assumption that pro-union equates to "anti - company." That's a myth. In fact do you realize that the most unionized airline is Southwest? How do you view managment-labor relations at Southwest? Are all those pro-union pilots a bunch of dissidents trying to screw the company?

Like I said before. Stick to subjects you know somethng about.

SnowBoardBum said:
Really...I hope you don't think that.
It makes perfect sense to transfer 700's to SkyWest from a business standpoint. ASA compared to SkyWest is more expensive in operating the 700. Why wouldn't they. They can consolidate there SLC operation which will aid in reducing overall expenses to SKYW Inc.

I'm ready
Take you best shot!

Bum

OK. A while back we were all discussing the DOT reports that revealed that pre-tax profit margins at ASA were higher than SkyWest. If you compare total compensation even in the 70's I think you'll find that SKYW pilots arent' any cheaper. There's a lot more to it than just hourly rates although many of the kids on this forum can't get around that. It all boils down to what shows up on the W-2. If an ASA guy gets paid 2.5 hours for the same amount of work that a SKYW pilot gets paid 3.75 hours for who do you think comes out ahead?

As far as the SLC operation went it didn't make any sense to maintain two pilot domiciles, one large, one quite small, at the same airport. Nor would it make any sense to have two domiciles in ATL so I doubt you'll ever see a SKYW domicile in ATL.

After doing some research on the DOT site I found the costs per ASM for the two airlines. You are correct thank you for pointing that out to me. They were the same for the 1st qtr of '05 but after that SkyWest has been higher. Those numbers arent a/c specific though. Do we really know the operating costs of the 700 alone for both carriers? Id be interested in seeing the data. If you know where it is could you direct me to it? I understand your "total compensation" aspect of the pilot pay, I would like to see some company recorded financial data on the costs.

I still think you'll see SkyWest a/c in ATL. Not a domicile, but a/c flowing through.

Latest resources

Back