Skywest hiring ASA pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SnowBoardBum said:
After doing some research on the DOT site I found the costs per ASM for the two airlines. You are correct thank you for pointing that out to me. They were the same for the 1st qtr of '05 but after that SkyWest has been higher. Those numbers arent a/c specific though. Do we really know the operating costs of the 700 alone for both carriers? Id be interested in seeing the data. If you know where it is could you direct me to it? I understand your "total compensation" aspect of the pilot pay, I would like to see some company recorded financial data on the costs.

I still think you'll see SkyWest a/c in ATL. Not a domicile, but a/c flowing through.

Unfortunately that info on the 700 costs isn't readily available. There may be some distinct differences in non labor related costs such as finance interest rates. I don't think you'll find crew costs broken apart from total payroll costs in publicly accessible records. I don't think the parent company is about to release any data other than what's required by the SEC. Why should they?

I agree about ATL being a possible flow thru stop, perhaps with 900's bound for warm destinations. time will tell.

We need to dispel this myth about ASA pilots getting paid a lot more than SKYW pilots and work towards improving pay and work rules at both airlines.

Dave Benjamin said:
We need to dispel this myth about ASA pilots getting paid a lot more than SKYW pilots and work towards improving pay and work rules at both airlines.

Couldnt agree more!

mbd said:
Initially, Skywest was optimistic about ASAs future as part of Skywest. They probably even hoped for a culture change at ASA. Negotiations have gone nowhere and Skywest has lost control of ASA. ASA is now a big frustration.

In all negotiations it is important to have a BATNA - your Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement.

Skywest’s best alternative is to delay, shrink, and transfer assets and if there is a strike, settle, shrink, and transfer assets.

Skywest’s BATNA will cost more in the short term but they would retain control for the long term. What is that long term control worth to Skywest?

What is ALPA’s BATNA?
1. couldn't have said it better myself...and it seems to be the way we are headed.
2. ALPA's BATNA...."full pay to the last day!!!...Burn this place down!!!"......duh.

too bad they're trying to take us along for the ride.

Dave and Bum-

You are assuming that the Form 41 reports are the way that SKYW is allocating costs. I do not believe this to be true. If we ignore all other costs besides flight crew, since these would be there regardless of ASA or SKYW crews flying them, we could then isolate the cost to operate the 70 versus the 50. ASA pilots make more than SKYW on the 70 only. I believe that the costs you are getting are based on the total, which includes the 50. This is a unique situation where it actually matters what the crews make in terms of who flies them where. It costs less for SKYW crews to fly them.

DrunkIrishman said:
Dave and Bum-

ASA pilots make more than SKYW on the 70 only.

Not true. ASA pilots have a greater hourly rate on the 70 only. SKYW pilots make more than ASA pilots on the 70.

ohplease! said:
1. couldn't have said it better myself...and it seems to be the way we are headed.
2. ALPA's BATNA...."full pay to the last day!!!...Burn this place down!!!"......duh.

too bad they're trying to take us along for the ride.

Who in your MEC leadership has ever said that?

I would like a quote.

I know, you can't come up with one can you.

Didn't think so.

DrunkIrishman said:
This is a unique situation where it actually matters what the crews make in terms of who flies them where. It costs less for SKYW crews to fly them.

This is where we differ in opinion. There is a difference in hourly pay rates however hourly pay rates are only part of the total pay equation. Although you can't count on bonuses SKYW pilots have been getting over 5% in bonus income. There is also the matter of different guarantees that result in more credit hours for the same amount of work performed. If an ASA guy gets paid 2.5 hours for the same amount of work that a SKYW pilot gets 3.75 hours for who comes out ahead? How many ASA line pilots can exceed 110 or 120 hours of pay per month for flying 80 or 90 hours if they really feel like working?

It would be interesting to actually compare incomes but there's a lot of variables that make it difficult. If all pay was based solely on hourly rates then you'd be correct that ASA pilots make more. I don't think they do.

Ok if a SKYW guy gets 3.75 hour of pay and An ASA guy gets 2.5 and each performs the same amount of work. That means it's more expensive to pay the SKYW guy to do the same thing as the ASA guy and therefore the work should be transferred to the ASA guy right?

If JA is such the consumate businessman than why is he paying SKYW guys so much more for the same amount of work? That doesn't seem so smart.

Maybe he should be building up ASA and stopping the bleeding at SKYW.

Or am I nuts?

Latest resources

Back