SkyWest=Forrest Gump

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is that bad?

I see what you are saying but some might argue whether that is "more leverage" compared to having a union recognized by the NMB at a company with almost $1 billion dollars in the bank.
$1 B in bank sounds like job security. Not having money in the bank certainly did not do anything but lead to BK at many other airlines.

Last edited:
Non-hostile, non-union

Of course you can't blame ALPA. Management sets the tone of how it wants to deal with its employees. But just imagine how much worse it would be for the pilots of companies with hostile management if ALPA wasn't there.
From Business school. "Unions are the result of bad managment" Toyota certainly understands this as they as continued to grow to dominate the US marketplace.

Luis,

You may have just made, quite possibly, the first level-headed argument for SKW pilot organization in FlightInfo history.

No. We made numerous arguements during the drive. You just got it sugar coated...

When I talked to OO pilots on the phone during the drive I used sugar, splenda, blue packets, pink ones... whatever it took...

The fustration was kept within and at bay as OO pilots consciously made illogical and self centered arguements... all in the name for themselves. It was all about "What is in it for me!"

Rez and the rest of the ALPA chest-thumpers should learn something from this approach and realize that tearing a man down isn't exactly the best way to convince him over to your side...

Point taken. However, I still haven't gotten a reply from a anti-union/anti-ALPA OO pilot in regards to the services, benefits and industry advancements credited to ALPA.

ALPA pilots give. OO pilots take. OO pilots know this and they don't want to talk about it.. Except the ones that voted for ALPA.

$1 B in bank sounds like job security. Not having money in the bank certainly did not do anything but lead to BK at many other airlines.

What does that have to do with unions?

From Business school. "Unions are the result of bad managment" Toyota certainly understands this as they as continued to grow to dominate the US marketplace.

Glad Herb Kelleher didn't go to traditional biz school. Yip.. you constantly talk about unions negative effects on management. When you do.. keep SWA in mind.

SWA treats there unions as partners. The sooner the Wharton School starts teaching this mentality.. the better...

Last edited:
Joe... are you going to dodge my post #44 or will you answer the questions?

...I'll get to it...patience Grasshopper.....The fact that you are so concerned about my answers and my posts, tells me they are having their desired affect on the ALPA cheerleader section......:D

Liquidity

What does that have to do with unions? It only has something to do with unions if you think it does. It is about liquidity, if don't have it you cannot survive down times. BTW I agree where management and labour are partners in the execution of the company's mission, you don't need a union. Does SWA have union or a pilot's association?

Last edited:
Content with your ATR has nothing to do with character....

You said "shallow"....that infers that someone is superficial....many of your cohorts fit that description.....The status of being a "real" pilot in this business is our own downfall....I don't fit that category.....

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Joe you are singing a new tune... glad to hear it...

Please clarify...I'm not singing a "new" tune....I have been singing the same tune for some time....

Rez O. Lewshun said:
So you equate your perception of career entitlement to the rape of young children?

No....I see similarities in how large organizations deal with major problems....They try to cover up the problem and protect the organization regardless of how it affects the membership....Sometimes the only way to affect change in a large organization is to sue or threaten to leave.....otherwise the organization just covers the problem up....

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Becuase it would provide the best opportunity for my family. Are you married? Do you have kids? Translation... do you have any responsibilities to anyone other than yourself?

Yes I have responsibilities other than myself.....and I agree that they take presidence.....That is why I feel the way I do....You seem to agree that personal responsibilities trump those of the "profession"....

I have a career here at ASA/Skywest......and I will fight my union if it tries to limit that career.....

You said "shallow"....that infers that someone is superficial....many of your cohorts fit that description.....The status of being a "real" pilot in this business is our own downfall....I don't fit that category.....

How much did the lawsuit cost the RJDC?

what is a real pilot? Joe merchant version?

Please clarify...I'm not singing a "new" tune....I have been singing the same tune for some time....

Sorry... if there is nothing new then you are about yourself, apathy, hate, divisiveness, you know... all things Joe Merchant..

No....I see similarities in how large organizations deal with major problems....They try to cover up the problem and protect the organization regardless of how it affects the membership....Sometimes the only way to affect change in a large organization is to sue or threaten to leave.....otherwise the organization just covers the problem up....

So what has really changed at ALPA due to your sue? And what was the dollar cost to sue?

Yes I have responsibilities other than myself.....and I agree that they take presidence.....That is why I feel the way I do....You seem to agree that personal responsibilities trump those of the "profession"....

Actually I believe that by changing the mentality of pilots to take care of the profession it will benefit us all. Do you reject the profession? Right now we got 61,000 indepedent contractors looking out for themsleves.. guys like you... and when they don't get thier way.. they sue.

Joe.. do you think it is all right for any pilot to sue ALPA if he feels unjust? Whether the lawsuit is petty or not... Or should any given pilot excercise a bit of ethics when deciding to sue?

I have a career here at ASA/Skywest......and I will fight my union if it tries to limit that career.....

What about your company? Will you fight your company if they try to limit your career?

What about your gov't? Will you fight your gov't if they try to limit your career?

Of the three, Company, union and gov't. Which one tries to limit your career the least?

Shouldn't you be trying to fight the one that tries to limit your career the most?

How much did the lawsuit cost the RJDC?

what is a real pilot? Joe merchant version?

It cost RJDC far less than it cost ALPA....How much did it cost ALPA?

A real pilot? ALPA's version is a "mainline" pilot.....if you aren't a mainline pilot you don't have a right to your job according to ALPA....

Rez O. Lewshun said:
So what has really changed at ALPA due to your sue? And what was the dollar cost to sue?

I don't really care what has changed at ALPA....I don't think anything has changed there....I think we fought off any attempt to force a jetsforjobs screwjob down our throat....ALPA hasn't changed.....

The dollar cost was high for ALPA...most of the RJDC work was done by volunteer pilots who had previous ALPA experience.....the cost was far higher of ALPA who had to pay lawyers to do the work.....

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Actually I believe that by changing the mentality of pilots to take care of the profession it will benefit us all. Do you reject the profession? Right now we got 61,000 indepedent contractors looking out for themsleves.. guys like you... and when they don't get thier way.. they sue.

That is exactly what we have now....We are a loose association of independent contractors all looking out for our own best interests.....I am looking out for my best interest....you sure as heck aren't going to look out for my best interest......

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Joe.. do you think it is all right for any pilot to sue ALPA if he feels unjust? Whether the lawsuit is petty or not... Or should any given pilot excercise a bit of ethics when deciding to sue?

Should my union exercise a bit of ethics when it negotiates against my interests? Do you think it was all right for Rick Dubinsky or Cress Bernard to sue ALPA? Cress sued for DFR and then voted against the ASA/CMR PID....talk about hypocricy....

There is no ethics in your precious ALPA.......

Rez O. Lewshun said:
What about your company? Will you fight your company if they try to limit your career?

What about your gov't? Will you fight your gov't if they try to limit your career?

Of the three, Company, union and gov't. Which one tries to limit your career the least?

Shouldn't you be trying to fight the one that tries to limit your career the most?

Actually ALPA tries to limit it the most......so according you I should fight ALPA....Who wants to limit the size of my aircraft? Who wants to limit the number of aircraft I fly? Who wants to limit the stage length of the aircraft I fly? It isn't the govt.....it isn't my company.....it is my union......

Latest resources

Back