• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest flying out of ATL in Dec.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well of course SkyW will be flying 900's out of ATL in Dec. Duh!

You're all welcome to come to my crew lounge. If I'm in there, I'll make a pot of coffee and show you around.

Thats the way Comair treated me and my crew when we went into CVG and thats how I and most ASA crews will treat you guy's when you come to ATL. If someone acts like an A S S, just pitty them for the misserable POS they are and be glad you're not them.

I think this is the first time I have agreed with Ohplease. Just be prepared to hold, wait for parking, and sorry a$$ ground support. Other than that you should be greeted kindly. We are all in this together. Good luck guys.

The petty disdain held for Skywest pilots is for sure in the vast minority of ASA pilots. Most thinking ASA pilots realize how important it is for us to work together with Skywest pilots to achieve unity. Our primary concern is whether or not the majority of Skywest pilots feel the same way. The ALPA drive currently in effect at Skywest will tell the rest of this story.

If you experience any of the immature antics of a small minority of our pilots in ATL, I apologize in advance. That’s why our CNC and MEC represent the majority of our pilots. I want you guys to stop over so that we can talk about how we can proceed forward in our struggle. We are owned by the same company now so even thought it may not seem so, our struggle is your struggle.

Best of luck to us both,
AT

The reason some feel "petty disdain" for Skywest pilots is not because they will fly through ATL, but that the feeling is they don't want to achieve unity with ASA pilots. They want nothing to do with 'unity' because they want to protect their schedules and fast upgrades from the relatively more senior ASA pilots. This is perhaps the most selfish and shortsighted stance imaginable. Here's why. What is coming next down the road? Imagine in a few years when the next spurt of growth, new airplane or codeshare comes along. What does Skywest management do? Come to both groups with "whichever group agrees to fly these for less, or take paycuts.......can have this flying. So, down comes the bar again as we each try to undercut each other to secure this new flying. Eroding our profession yet again. This is why Skywest management is keeping us separate. It's just looking great for the Skywest guys now, because they are reaping all the current benefits and rewards from it. This is going to happen again and again until we put a stop to it! When is the time to do it?

79%,

While I agree that there is trepidation on the part of ASA pilots as to whether the Skywest pilots share our vision of unity (as I mentioned in my previous post). I believe we should give the Skywest pilots a chance to demonstrate their intentions before we admonish them. Thus far, the SKYW pilots don't have the representational ability to demonstrate their stance to us. The current ALPA drive will show us where they stand. Until then, I would like nothing better than to have a cup o' Joe with any SKYW pilot that slogs their way through the well-oiled machine that is the ATL.

Your description of the ensuing whipsaw that will occur should the SKYW pilots not organize is spot on. I just hope for all involved that this message is heard loud and clear.

AT

The reason some feel "petty disdain" for Skywest pilots is not because they will fly through ATL, but that the feeling is they don't want to achieve unity with ASA pilots.

Not at all. Many of us balk, however, at the idea that this 'unity' MUST be attained through ALPA. Many of us have come from ALPA carriers, and know that we have it better having left it behind.

They want nothing to do with 'unity' because they want to protect their schedules and fast upgrades from the relatively more senior ASA pilots.

Are you saying that we should want for crappier schedules and longer upgrades so that we can please the 'relatively' more senior guys at ASA?

This is perhaps the most selfish and shortsighted stance imaginable. Here's why. What is coming next down the road? Imagine in a few years when the next spurt of growth, new airplane or codeshare comes along. What does Skywest management do? Come to both groups with "whichever group agrees to fly these for less, or take paycuts.......can have this flying. So, down comes the bar again as we each try to undercut each other to secure this new flying. Eroding our profession yet again. This is why Skywest management is keeping us separate. It's just looking great for the Skywest guys now, because they are reaping all the current benefits and rewards from it. This is going to happen again and again until we put a stop to it! When is the time to do it?

Guessing at what will happen 'down the road' is just that, a guess. Taking into account our 34 years of how things really have played out is another matter.

Direct your anger where it belongs, not at us. Our company only bought your company a year ago. Who did you blame for all this before then?

Look, I hope you guys get what you're after, I really do. For the record, I never wanted to see the purchase of ASA come to pass, I want nothing to do with any flying East of DEN, and even though I could have upgraded by now I won't for some time.

I would much rather see SKW pilots than CHQ Freedom or Shuttle America in there.

another example of a pilot who doesnt get it!:rolleyes:

from the what the ASA guys/gals are saying in this thread, it doesn't sound like much of a crewroom anyways. BUT, if I do decide to go in there, I'll look for ya.

Last edited:
SkyNation,

You may have answered this question before on this matter, but how does Jerry breaking his promise to you of a 70-seat rate sits with you and do you feel the majority of the pilot group there feels the way that you do? I am not trying in any way to be inflammatory. I'm just trying to get a feel of the mood of the pilots over there.

As a follow up, do you feel that the SKYW pilots bear any responsibility to the profession at large or that the ends of good schedules and quick upgrades justify the means of forfeiting representational organization?

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
AT

Last edited:
SkyNation,

You may have answered this question before on this matter, but how does Jerry breaking his promise to you of a 70-seat rate sits with you and do you feel the majority of the pilot group there feels the way that you do. I am not trying in any way to be inflammatory. I'm just trying to get a feel of the mood of the pilots over there.

As a follow up, do you feel that the SKYW pilots bear any responsibility to the profession at large or that the ends of good schedules and quick upgrades justify the means of forfeiting representational organization?

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
AT

not inflammatory, but sufficiently loaded questions. you are a fan of ALPA. I am not. Bear that in mind as I reply.

Jerry never promised us a raise. Ron Reber, then 2nd in command, told pilots it would be 'worth it.' You can read into that whatever you want. I don't defend them allowing the 18 month TA to expire, and I think we should get paid more for the variants. I believe we will vote on a proposal from mngmt. within a few weeks that will address just that. My guess is it will be a percentage override when you fly the 70/90. Back to 'worth it.' I have friends who were FOs at the time of the TA, three in particular. One is now at CAL, one is at FedEx, one is at SWA. For each of them, it was well 'worth it' to upgrade and move on. They are achieving their career goals and I congratulate them. It is a fantasy to suggest that if we all 'stuck together' and refused such things at any carrier that management would come back and say 'gosh, you guys are right. we're going to open up the coffers and load you guys up with dough.' I see no evidence of that thanks to ALPA or anyone else. Instead what I see is a wasteland of furloughs, paycuts/freezes, and companies struggling to remain even part of the game. ALPA didn't cause these calamities, but it sure as hell didn't prevent them either.

The burden we bear towards the profession is the same one you do. Keep it safe, make it the best you can. what are your priorities? how do you prioritize your well being, your families, your companies, that of other companies, etc? do you really think that if we were to vote in ALPA that suddenly you'd make more $, have a better QOL, better future opportunities, etc?

I'm expecting all the same responses. Been there, done that, got the stickers and the lanyard.

again, I wish you guys the best. if you immediately disregard us if we're not ALPA, then this discussion has nowhere to go.

Latest resources

Back