• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest/ExpressJet plan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Manpower management has two primary parts: employee recruitment, and employee retention.

If the company cannot properly staff through recruitment (agreed, not really influenced by the pilot group), retention of existing employees becomes critical. While you can't hope to retain everybody, you need to retain enough to maintain existing operations, to say nothing of growth. And you have to give those employees an incentive to stay in order to retain them, principally financial incentives but also possibly intangible (quality of life/lack of BS).

A combination of recruiting falling short and retention breaking down can put the company into a position where it has no choice but to reduce operations due to a lack of staff.

So to the point:

Lifers and company men won't "save" XJT. Without a contract that is "good enough" to keep FOs for bailing for the prospect of a fast upgrade elsewhere and keep those 10-12 year guys that don't want to take a 5 year earnings hit but are concerned about the company as a going concern and further degradation to their W2s and QOL...the inevitable will catch up.

I have never been a "great pilot shortage" proponent, but the most basic of Econ 101 is starting to take effect and you can see it in hiring at SKW or Horizon vs, say, Endeavor.

Completely spot on and well communicated. Thanks for getting it sir.

Agreed, Jon, it's morphing into an "at risk" environment. The new"er" buzz word is "code share"... Don't know how that will be entered into this brave new world of regional ops.... I see both SkyWest and ExpressJet cancelling a lot of flights in the near future due to no cockpit crews... When this happens, I would bet Inc will combine to save costs and make more efficient use of crews.. Timeline unknown.

Perhaps ExpressJet is having troubles staffing, and cancelling because of it. I can't speak for them. However, SkyWest is not having any problems staffing its flying.

There is really no way to tell who is profitable. We are all operating under the SKYW Kingdom. Unless we obtain very reliable and accurate financial data, we cannot determine the true efficiency or profitability of particular units within the company. The JNBC had the opportunity to review some of this data, during the TA negotiations. They claim that ALPA National assisted them in deciphering SKYW accounting documents. I have absolutely no faith in the JNCB's ability to read financial reports, let alone a grocery list. Let's face it, they are a bunch of goddamn hicks. Therefore, all we can do is read the PUBLIC documents and make some determinations. One, is that SKYW is profitable. Two, is that XJT operating expenses are less. Three, is that these financial conditions occurred under the current XJT contract.

There is really no way to tell who is profitable. We are all operating under the SKYW Kingdom. Unless we obtain very reliable and accurate financial data, we cannot determine the true efficiency or profitability of particular units within the company. The JNBC had the opportunity to review some of this data, during the TA negotiations. They claim that ALPA National assisted them in deciphering SKYW accounting documents. I have absolutely no faith in the JNCB's ability to read financial reports, let alone a grocery list. Let's face it, they are a bunch of goddamn hicks. Therefore, all we can do is read the PUBLIC documents and make some determinations. One, is that SKYW is profitable. Two, is that XJT operating expenses are less. Three, is that these financial conditions occurred under the current XJT contract.

I just figured that since ExpressJet was bleeding cash long before they were ever bought and combined with ASA, and the fact that all that money to buy both airlines came from the extremely profitable business SkyWest has been for decades, that this entire subject has a pretty simple and blatantly obvious solution. Sorry for the assumptions.

I just figured that since ExpressJet was bleeding cash long before they were ever bought and combined with ASA, and the fact that all that money to buy both airlines came from the extremely profitable business SkyWest has been for decades, that this entire subject has a pretty simple and blatantly obvious solution. Sorry for the assumptions.

That's all water under the bridge. The 3Q 2013 earnings reports tell the current story.

And that is a fact..

Latest resources

Back