• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest: Confessions Of A Kool-Aid Drinker

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So as I understand it, if I lose my license for whatever reason and can't get it back then this LOL insurance will pay out a lump sum to cover training for another field.

Now if I get violated by the Feds and they come after my license then I will have the legal backing of ALPA at no additional charge. Furthermore, if I have any problems with my health and need help getting my medical back then I will have the assistance of ALPA aeromedical at no additional charge.

Thanks for any clarifications.

That's correct, except loss of license in the sense of the insurance covers losing your medical, not if you go out and bust an altitude and the FAA yanks all your certificates.

Last edited:
Is it true that my 2% towards ALPA does not cover medical loss coverage? If so, how much more does it cost? If that is true I can guarantee that will be a big blow towards the fence sitters at SkyWest.

This is true. Loss of license / loss of medical insurance is NOT included in your dues. (Basic insurance coverage IS included for the first year you are an ALPA member - thus some ALPA supporters have inferred that it is included in your dues.) The additional cost is based on the level of coverage you elect, and your age. I simply contacted a friend at an ALPA carrier for my rate and benefit information. (I apologize for not remembering what it was and I do not want to post a guess.)

If I can give you some advice Magneto, inform your skywest pilots about alpa. Talk to some of the ASA pilots who have jumped ship.

I agree - One of the great assets we have at SkyWest is a large number of former United, Eagle, ASA, Mesa, and Mesaba pilots. TALK TO THEM. I have found most are more than happy to lay out their opinions of ALPA, both positive and negative. Talking to these true professionals has made my decision very easy.

An example from an ALPA supporter:

We have endured a dark period in ALPA's history. In the last 8 years, ALPA has failed to properly represent regional airline pilots.

Just my opinion: a SkyWest "yes" vote will not change that.

Thanks all for the great input into this thread, and for keeping it educational instead of confrontational. Remember, we are all professionals deserving of each other's respect.

You are absolutely correct about work rules affecting pay. However, Mesa does have higher hourly wages on the 900 than Skywest. I believe their contract is up for negotiation soon, and you can expect them to raise all their pay rates, as well as better their work rules, when the new contract is settled. This time around, they don't have an alter-ego to worry about, and I support them in working for a better contract.

OK, they have a higher hourly rate. I actually get paid more to fly a 200 at SKW than a 900 at mesa (and I've actually done both). I'm referring to ACTUAL REAL MONEY, not some fantasy "hourly rate".

Maybe the mesa pilots can all get T-shirts made with their payscale printed on the front (and an alpa logo too!). Without workrules (and they have ZERO) that "payscale" is meaningless.

I hate to burst your bubble but we had lots of crewmembers happy with their "little niche in the world" in Paso Robles, Bakersfield, Yuma, Pocatello, and even St. George before those domiciles were all closed...you should be concerned with such things!

Exactly my point...i would probably have to vote NO to alpa because i really think it would force me to a new domicile.

Would anybody here like to work for Southwest? I'll go first: yes, I would. There you have an example of a unionized labor groups (SWAPA works alongside the gorrillas of representation, like the IAM) working with management for mutual benefit. It can be done. If your culture and levels of mutual respect are as high as advertised, then formal representation will work fantastically.

Skywest pilots.... here it is right here in a nutshell....

Why does LUV have great managment/union relations. cause the IAM are really nice perky girl scouts?

Being a part of ALPA isn't only about what can be done about your local situation at SW.

There is alot going on at the national and international level. many ALPA pilots support thier local reps but can't stand the National scene. However, both are equally important.

Find out why.

Last edited:
ALPA at sw would not be cool. If you worked at another regional before SW that had ALPA, imagine that crappy feeling that pilots had towards mngt and vise versa, well that would happen at sw also. Then there would be the ASA Skywest merge down the road. That would also suck, imagine a ton of numbers coming in on top of you. Anyone hired in the last 3 years would be screwed. All those reasons you left your old airline and came to skywest would be mute because it would of been in vain. It seems for the most part the guys that want to bring ALPA to skywest, have never worked under a ALPA contract before. I suggest that anyone with questions about alpa talk to someone that has paid dues/worked under a alpa contract before. Its not a pretty story.

Then there would be the ASA Skywest merge down the road. That would also suck, imagine a ton of numbers coming in on top of you. Anyone hired in the last 3 years would be screwed.

You're thinking short term. Long term a merger would be good for all parties involved.

If we do vote in ALPA....what would this do to the two pilot seniority lists???Asking because I have no idea.

Both side would put a couple of people together to work it out. It would benefits both groups.

Latest resources

Back