• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest: Confessions Of A Kool-Aid Drinker

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A lot of airlines need unions. Like mesa. And what is mesa's result? The proof is in the pudding. However, they can tell people they are part of the underpaid boys club. Great. I'm sure your wife and kids sleep better in the trailer knowing dad has an alpo sticker on his flight kit.

Well, Mesa does make more flying the 900s than Skywest.

Well, Mesa does make more flying the 900s than Skywest.

Total BS, you are either lying to support alpa (I'm starting to see a trend here actually) or grossly uninformed. Mesa's hourly rate is meaningless, because they do not get paid for most of their duty time. You could come to work to do 2 PHX-TUS turns with a 4 hour sit and get paid 1:20. If your block is scheduled at 00:30, that is what you get paid, even if your block-block is 5 hours.

Delays? No Pay
Scheduled Sit: No Pay
Wx Canx: No Pay
Mx Canx: You should get paid, but this will be re-coded as Wx: No Pay
Duty Time: No Pay
30 hour Overnight: No Pay

You are absolutely correct about work rules affecting pay. However, Mesa does have higher hourly wages on the 900 than Skywest. I believe their contract is up for negotiation soon, and you can expect them to raise all their pay rates, as well as better their work rules, when the new contract is settled. This time around, they don't have an alter-ego to worry about, and I support them in working for a better contract.

Why are people so naive to think that the only way to look at compensation is by the hourly rate. I am a second year fo at SkyWest and will gross over 60K this year. My rate on the 700/900 may be lower but I bet most f.o.'s at SkyWest make more than f.o.'s at Mesa BECAUSE OF OUR RIGS/GUARANTEES. Is it that hard to understand?

Secondly, I am sure it was covered in this thread but I couldn't find it. Is it true that my 2% towards ALPA does not cover medical loss coverage? If so, how much more does it cost? If that is true I can guarantee that will be a big blow towards the fence sitters at SkyWest.

No, not hard to understand at all, in fact I explained my understanding of work rules in my previous post. However, the Mesa pilots are about to improve their situation. What can the pilots of Skywest do to improve theirs? Skywest is experiencing extremely rapid growth and the pilots have no opportunity to improve their lives, unless management feels like doing so.

Why are people so naive to think that the only way to look at compensation is by the hourly rate. I am a second year fo at SkyWest and will gross over 60K this year. My rate on the 700/900 may be lower but I bet most f.o.'s at SkyWest make more than f.o.'s at Mesa BECAUSE OF OUR RIGS/GUARANTEES. Is it that hard to understand?

Secondly, I am sure it was covered in this thread but I couldn't find it. Is it true that my 2% towards ALPA does not cover medical loss coverage? If so, how much more does it cost? If that is true I can guarantee that will be a big blow towards the fence sitters at SkyWest.

That 2% is just the base. You do get a free pin and a Magazine for that. Its a big conn, especially at the regional level.

If I can give you some advice Magneto, inform your skywest pilots about alpa. Talk to some of the ASA pilots who have jumped ship, but whatever you do don't belive those conartists who are trying to bring alpa on-board. They think the grass is greener on the otherside.

Depends on what you mean by medical loss coverage. The 2% gives you access to ALPA Aeromedical if you need to utilize their services to help get your medical back.

The 2% does not give you loss of license insurance. It is extra, although ALPA picks it up the first year for probationary guys (who don't pay dues, by the way). Just like with about any other insurance, it is pretty cheap for the younger guys, then once you get to be about 35+ it really starts getting expensive.

I personally carry both the company LOL insurance ($1.25/paycheck) and the ALPA LOL insurance (I think it's on the order of $100/year, can't remember exact numbers). As others have mentioned before, the ALPA LOL insurance covers you if you cannot fly yet can perform other jobs. It is basically a lump sum payout to pursue other career training. The company LOL insurance (ASA's is the only one I have experience with) will only pay out if you cannot perform any job, period.

Honest question, if another carrier goes on strike do all the other members have their dues increased to pay for it? If so, how much or how does it work?

No, not hard to understand at all, in fact I explained my understanding of work rules in my previous post. However, the Mesa pilots are about to improve their situation. What can the pilots of Skywest do to improve theirs? Skywest is experiencing extremely rapid growth and the pilots have no opportunity to improve their lives, unless management feels like doing so.

I too believed that mesa pilots would improve their lot in life...but a number of factors changed my mind...

The new MEC (which we were cautiously optomistic about) appears to be less than bold in confronting the company, even though management has within the last year declared all-out war on pilot QOL...that was where I got off that train, but by all accounts things are only getting worse.

Combined with a weak MEC and the threat of furloughs (due to loss of a Go! or a major partner) management will be able to fare better than some might think.

Even if some progress is made it will likely take at least 4 years...JO knows he is not going to get a more favorable terms than the ones he has now, so why allow a new contract any sooner than necessary? After years of brutal negotiations and probably furloughs, I expect mesa will still be near the bottom (I wasn't going to wait that long to find out).

Many mesa pilots are young/inexperienced and are susceptible to management doom & gloom threats...the ONLY positive about mesa is the fast upgrade, threaten to take that away and who knows what some of those people will be willing to give up...

I am certainly hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Depends on what you mean by medical loss coverage. The 2% gives you access to ALPA Aeromedical if you need to utilize their services to help get your medical back.

The 2% does not give you loss of license insurance. It is extra, although ALPA picks it up the first year for probationary guys (who don't pay dues, by the way). Just like with about any other insurance, it is pretty cheap for the younger guys, then once you get to be about 35+ it really starts getting expensive.

I personally carry both the company LOL insurance ($1.25/paycheck) and the ALPA LOL insurance (I think it's on the order of $100/year, can't remember exact numbers). As others have mentioned before, the ALPA LOL insurance covers you if you cannot fly yet can perform other jobs. It is basically a lump sum payout to pursue other career training. The company LOL insurance (ASA's is the only one I have experience with) will only pay out if you cannot perform any job, period.

So as I understand it, if I lose my license for whatever reason and can't get it back then this LOL insurance will pay out a lump sum to cover training for another field.

Now if I get violated by the Feds and they come after my license then I will have the legal backing of ALPA at no additional charge. Furthermore, if I have any problems with my health and need help getting my medical back then I will have the assistance of ALPA aeromedical at no additional charge.

Thanks for any clarifications.

Latest resources

Back