Skywest bid for USAirways 900 flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dave Benjamin said:
I don't think SkyMoron is representative of anyone but himself.
If you guys would quit quoting him in your posts I wouldn't have to read his drivel.
Maybe try ignoring him and see if he'll go away.
Someday he'll get over SJS.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Dave Benjamin said:
I don't think SkyMoron is representative of anyone but himself.
If you guys would quit quoting him in your posts I wouldn't have to read his drivel.
Maybe try ignoring him and see if he'll go away.
Someday he'll get over SJS.

I can only hope you're right Dave...but I really doubt it, sadly it seems his lone brain cell is floating in company kool-aid!

SkyMoron, good one. Give him a couple more years of 8 days off a month, no life outside of work, the wonders of PBS, life on never ending reserve after taking that first available upgrade, etc.

Wait till he times out in November and finds out no pay checks for the next 4-6 weeks.

promise guys? do you promise I can someday be a bitter malcontent like ya'll? gosh!

I'd say 80% of people I fly with share my general view that we have it better than most. 100% of the people I've asked have the same impression of Mr. Benjamin, I'll let you guess if it's favorable or not. Be careful what seeds you sow, Sir.

I'll leave myself open to all the ridiculous criticisms and put-downs. This is, after all, the most mean-spirited forum I've ever come across. But seriously, I want to know what people really think and why. So if you can articulate a well thought out position on a few things, I'd love to hear it.

1-Do we agree SkyWest is a successful company? If so, how would a union-specifically ALPA-help to ensure that continued success?

2-why would management not want a union? is it because it would possibly hurt or hamper the company? Do you believe it's purely a pride issue about control? If it could somehow help the company solidify it's positions and become stronger, don't you think they'd be all for it?

3-Most (not all) people I've spoken with on the OC for ALPA are, in my words, malcontents and complainers. They have a very 'what's in it for me (us) attitude. I know that some are very much the opposite, having flown with the main guy of the OC. Do you think relations would improve, stay the same, or degrade with these folks on the MEC? I know we'd elect our own, but I'm doubting people from the other side (mostly happy, optimistic folks who appreciate what we've accomplished at SkyWest) would want to be part of the inherent adversarial relationship.

name calling and ripping on someone for not sharing your view has become too much the norm on this board. I really do want to hear peoples thoughts, and if you just can't help but interject them with the insults, so be it.

looking forward to insightful replies

Last edited:
I'm really not big with the name calling and honestly I haven't been following this thread but I can respond to this post specificly...

What's the problem with Skywest not having a union like ALPA (note I didn't say ALPA specificly)? The problem is that you guys agree to fly three different airframes with a range of 40 seats for the same rate. I know it was only temporary, but see how well that worked out. So you agree to do it and then another company looks at that and says "oh, well, let's have our guys do that too". And it goes on from there and the bar drops down another notch. Unfortunatly pattern bargaining works both ways.

nethan,

I agree. I only know of one guy who has said he doesn't care about flying the variants for the same rate, that he's happy to do it. I look at it more as choosing your battles. I think someday we'll have a different rate for the 50 and the 70/90. I don't think it'll be much, more of a token concession to us. That battle is still being fought. I feel you have to consider the entire picture. While we may have 'lost' (or not yet won) the battle in some areas, overall I still feel we are winning by positioning ourselves to remain healthy, solidify the future, attract more flying, etc. I would expect all companies to do the same for their own good, which ultimately is for their employees good. I don't think we are beholden to employees at other companies any more than Xerox is beholden to IBM, UPS is beholden to FedEx, or the Yankees beholden to the Red Sox to make sure 'everyone stays on the same level and has the same success.' It's competition, and I believe in the free market. Innovation and new ways of thinking will always be necessary, and those who fail to adjust to an ever changing market will ultimately perish.

And that my friend, is the problem right there. I'll let somebody else tear apart what you just said.

SkyNation

You are absolutely right SkyNation, the free market is great, for Management. How many millions of stock dollars will you see with the success of your company? None. How many more contracts and precedents will be set by flying blended rates, poor schedules, etc.? Many. Although ALPA may not always win, they are constantly fighting management in the free market. The free market is what drives our country, but it is also what drives our wages. Management will drive down your income for no reason other than to make more money for themselves, not the company, and that is why unions are a necessary evil. Unions used to stand together and not let management push them around. Unfortunately, the solidarity of unions is weak, but it is getting stronger. You may not have to organize and unionize, but at least take pride in yourself and your profession. Pilots worked very hard to make this a career worthwhile, and unfortunately if all you care about is flying a jet for low wages because it helps the company, then you have gone down the wrong path. At least with a union you would have a voice in what your QOL is at SkyWest. You may not recieve it, but at least you could voice your opinion on certain matters. I have heard honesty is what drives your company. Honestly, they are making millions off of you.

UncleRico said:
SkyNation

Although ALPA may not always win, they are constantly fighting management in the free market.

That is true and very sad. I don't share the idea that management is the boogeyman and is waiting to screw me just for kicks and bucks. Our management has a track record of doing what they are there to do in a very successful way. I'd put them up against any other regionals management. Of course they are looking to minimize costs while maximizing profits.

Management will drive down your income for no reason other than to make more money for themselves, not the company, and that is why unions are a necessary evil.

I won't totally disagree with that. I'd add, though, that a skilled management team will realize that happy employees=a successful company. They have to walk the fine line of providing the best possible work environment while remaining fiercely competetive. Again, while not perfect, I think SkyWest management has a great track record of doing that.

You may not have to organize and unionize, but at least take pride in yourself and your profession. Pilots worked very hard to make this a career worthwhile, and unfortunately if all you care about is flying a jet for low wages because it helps the company, then you have gone down the wrong path.

I worked for a long time, spent tons of money, and went through a ton (just like most, I'm sure) to get where I am. I am very proud of myself and the profession. I'm not sure why you would think you have to have a union to feel that way?

At least with a union you would have a voice in what your QOL is at SkyWest. You may not recieve it, but at least you could voice your opinion on certain matters.

I'm not categorically opposed to a union. I'd entertain a solid in-house unit a la SWA. I am very interested, however, in results. What works, what doesn't. All I, or anyone else, can do is look around the industry and compare. As I continually do that, I have yet to be impressed enough with the overall QOL, stability, total pay, etc. of any ALPA regional to the point where I'd say 'man, I wish we were more like them at ______ Airlines.' What is continually remarkable is the number of newhires we get from other regionals represented by ALPA. A recent newhire class had folks from ASA, Comair, Mesa, Horizon and TSA. A friend of mine in the training department said that is true of each class that comes through. Why would these people leave these places to come to a non-union airline if it is so essential and can provide something (according to some) so much better?

I have heard honesty is what drives your company. Honestly, they are making millions off of you.

Again, that is their job. I'll continue to do mine, which I'm happy with, optimistic about, and proud of. To suggest I'm getting screwed somehow just doesn't hold water. If you preach how bad we have it at SkyWest, all I have to do is consider my QOL, pay, and the future of this company. It all tells a very different story.

Last edited:
SkyNation

If you get the opportunity, read the book "Hard Landing". I hope it opens your eyes to how great the industry was and how management has torn it down. I guess everyone sees things through their own eyes, but I really have a problem understanding how blind you are to the realities in aviation. Comair had a great contract, but because SkyWest is cheaper Delta looks to them. All you and your pilot group had to do was negotiate scales comparable to Comair and we wouldn't be having these issues. Wait you have management employees negotiating your contract. Once again you had no say in how your QOL would be affected as well as the QOL of others would be affected. If SkyWest management was so great, how can they not reward their employees with more than $6000 profit sharing, while making multimillions. If that doesn't bother you, and you are happy with what you have, then I guess it will take your first ankle grabbing session to change your mind.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back