• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest bid for USAirways 900 flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Surely you don't expect SGU to let us know what's going on until after the fact. That's never been part of the MO...we'll find out when you find out.

SkyNation said:
should the Yankees let the Sox win a few games, just to keep them on the same level? do they 'owe' that to them for the 'sake of the industry?' of course not, it's a stupid idea because they are COMPETING with each other, and to the winner goes the spoils. they play to WIN.

SkyWest is COMPETING with other regionals for future flying. we play to WIN, and winning is obtained by MAKING MORE $, gaining flying, and providing the best possible future so we don't LOSE our winnings.

if we make more than our competitors, continue to gain flying, and further solidify our position, aren't we winning? of course we are.

are you suggesting the we somehow 'owe' it to our competitors to just let them 'win a few?'

(no flame intended, but expecting the usual flames in return)

PS-GO SOX!!

The Yankees and the Sox don't play to win by lowering the bar (unlike SkyWorst).

And I'm a Cubs fan, so I'm just plain bitter during the sumer. Period.

Question, with this all being only a rumor it may be a moot point, did SKW or SKW, Inc bid for this flying? If it was SKW, Inc then the bid may be for ASA to fly the CR9. Once the ASA contract is settled, I don't see the SKW pay scales staying what they are for very long.

Fly Safe...

I think the reason a lot of guys at Skywest don't care is that they are mostly lifers there, with no intentions to go anywhere. So, in order to move up, the only thing to do is to undercut the majors. They all know this deep down somewhere.....but don't seem to worry about it too much. I think it's a great company, but if you guys don't wake up, you'll be flying a 737 for the 100-150 seat rate.

P.s. don't start with the argument that the majors pay the same for all the 737's, it's based on the biggest 73 they have not the smallest.

007 said:
I think the reason a lot of guys at Skywest don't care is that they are mostly lifers there, with no intentions to go anywhere. So, in order to move up, the only thing to do is to undercut the majors. They all know this deep down somewhere.....

I am amazed that you have such insight into the career aspirations of over 2300 pilots. How do you account for the current shortage of Captains and the subsequent running of upgrades at max capacity in both aircraft? I was under the impression it had something to do with many of my friends moving on to CAL, SWA, going back to UAL, etc... I just had three buddies go interview at Cathay, and another is going to Emirates in a week or two, a couple of guys are working their angles at FDX and UPS (good luck on that), and this is just at one medium sized domicile. But you say SKYW pilots are lifers?

I'd venture to say that most pilots here are not lifers and that this is one of the very reasons they come here, get on, upgrade in a year or two, get treated fairly well while here and then are prepared and qualified to move on when the opportunity presents itself.

Lifers could probably be found more often at other regionals such as Horizon and Eagle where pilots are hired knowing full well upgrade is eons away but go there anyway.

I am not in any way condoning the 700/900 pay issue, but I am just amazed when people who have no idea of the mindset of a pilot group feel compelled (a la General Lee) to tell the world with absolute certainty how it works over here.

but if you guys don't wake up, you'll be flying a 737 for the 100-150 seat rate.

You're right, we should be flying the 737 for the 250 - 400 seat rate. What we're we thinking?

007 said:
I think the reason a lot of guys at Skywest don't care is that they are mostly lifers there, with no intentions to go anywhere. So, in order to move up, the only thing to do is to undercut the majors. They all know this deep down somewhere.....but don't seem to worry about it too much. I think it's a great company, but if you guys don't wake up, you'll be flying a 737 for the 100-150 seat rate.

P.s. don't start with the argument that the majors pay the same for all the 737's, it's based on the biggest 73 they have not the smallest.

SkyWest is losing 26 pilot's a month to the majors! not all are "lifers"

Lifers? Sure the top 200-300 maybe.

If the junior captain at Eagle had come to Skywest at the same hire date he'd sit at about #400 of 2330.

When did the Majors starting hiring, did I miss that post. So is Mesa, Comair, ASA, and all the other ones are losing about the same. So these guys are willing to move over seas, that sounds good for about 1% of us.

SkyNation said:
I've said before and repeat, I would hope that things work out for everyone, they live where they want, make a respectable amount of $, and their jobs are intact for as long as they would like them to be. I guess in some sort of fantasy world, that could be the case. the harsh reality is that we ARE each others competition, and those who can't compete will perish. it's business, plain and simple.

REM put it best: Everybody hurts, sometime.

PSA has been 'losing the competition'. Their hope for growth seemingly went out the window when AWAC bought (more or less) the flying for 70 rjs. Then when an opportunity came for PSA, a few of us tried to help them out so they could get what they deserve.

I hope your SkyWest 'winning' lasts forever, or at least long enough for you to upgrade and get your time. Because if you start 'losing' your flying and your profit sharing bonus, your attitude will probably change.

just my $.02

Latest resources

Back