• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest back to Coex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The people who have upgraded at commutair will milk the PIC for as long as they can and will return. The majority say that when they are among friends, its just not too politically correct to say that to other commutair pilots. With the schedules the way they are at Commutair you are lucky if you get 1000 PIC within a two year period. ( and after that there is no guarantee you will get a job at a major)Not to mention the pay, work rules, no union, scheduling etc... Once everything gets going again the upgrades will drop to about 2-3 years at COEX again and even if they dont there are many other things to consider such as quality of life. Anyway good luck to all.
As far as skywest goes I dont know?

utahpilot said:
I flew with a CA the other day who was a 6 month upgrade from CoEx here at CommutAir. I think he and a few others are the only ones here who were able to, or will be able to, upgrade that quickly. I've asked a few of the CoEx guys if they'll be going back, and none seem to know for sure. Those that have upgraded, however, are now naturally inclined to stay for the turbine PIC time.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but after the crap that some of our guys (and girls!) pulled durring the union vote, some will not be welcome back at Express. This is a very small industry and people don't forget, nor should they.

With the schedules the way they are at Commutair you are lucky if you get 1000 PIC within a two year period.

Funny, I have averaged over 70 hours per month since upgrading. At that rate I will have over 1000 hours in less than 15 months. Not as fast as other carriers maybe, but a lot less than two years. BTW, two years equals about 42 hours per month. The only guys getting that little ammount are guys bidding stand-ups overnights. And a lot of them bid them because they are great for commuting.

mcpickle -
I've heard that before, but never any specifics. What did they do?

Funny, I have averaged over 70 hours per month since upgrading. At that rate I will have over 1000 hours in less than 15 months. Not as fast as other carriers maybe, but a lot less than two years
you must have upgraded when all the growth started. The new guys do not have the same chance and as far as stand ups go they are not bidding them, thats all that is left for the people on the bottom. Even without the standups the average schedules are worth 63 hours and the actual flight time is around 55-58. Now when cash trips are available you can get more but then they are not available all the time and usually not available to the junior guys. Also, we only get 12 off every month and if you take cash it cuts into your days off. I guess everyone has different priorities and this is one helluva unpredictable industry.

Also, we only get 12 off every month

Actually it's 13 days off a month. 13 bids per year with 28 days per bid period. 16 on 12 off.

Even without the standups the average schedules are worth 63 hours and the actual flight time is around 55-58.

If you were at any other airline you would be sitting reserve for the whole month and not flying very much at all. At least junior captains get to fly at CommutAir. Just remember that sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side but when you get there you will find that it is not as green as it once looked.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but after the crap that some of our guys (and girls!) pulled durring the union vote, some will not be welcome back at Express. This is a very small industry and people don't forget, nor should they.

You Xjet guys need to get in check with reality. The COEX furloughs at CommutAir were not the reason ALPA was voted down. It's because ALPA didn't convince enough of the CommutAir pilots that there was much they could do to help us. Mckpickle, why don't you tell us what ALPA could have done to help CommutAir and give us a chance to respond with why we didn't think so? We are forming an internal Mutual Interest Commitee to help communication between the pilots and management. If that doesn't work I'm sure the next ALPA drive will be a successful one. As for the furloughs. Everyone of the Coex furloughs that I have flown with except for 1 or 2 have been great. If they decide to return to Xjet I will be sad to see them leave. I wish the best for them whatever they decide to do.

you must have upgraded when all the growth started. The new guys do not have the same chance and as far as stand ups go they are not bidding them, thats all that is left for the people on the bottom.

No, I am fairly junior in fact, in the bottom third of the captains list. I know at least three guys junior to me who intentionally bid stand-ups, even when they don't have to, just because they are easier for commuting.

The opportunities are there. Remember that a lot of the senior guys aren't after the higher time trips. Neither are a lot of the folks who live in CLE. While the pickings do tend to get pretty slim near the bottom, there are still a lot of higher time trips still left. Even bidding 16 days of those and no cash, you should be able to get 68-70 hours per bid. At 13 bids per year that is 884 to 910 hours per year.

You are correct that the very bottom guys do get stuck with some reserve and stand-ups, but that happens anywhere. Just because these guys have been near the bottom for a month or two doesn't mean they will be there forever. Things can happen very quickly. Remember that all but the top five or six captains in Cleveland were F/Os 9-10 months ago. Phase two of Cleveland should be announced by spring, and we have a few guys who will be leaving for Southwest as they start draining their pool. There will be plenty of movement here over the next year or so.

I will second what Socalpilot said, the vast majority of the Coex guys here have been great. If they leave, I will be sad to see them go and wish them the best.

socalpilot said:
Actually it's 13 days off a month. 13 bids per year with 28 days per bid period. 16 on 12 off.

If you were at any other airline you would be sitting reserve for the whole month and not flying very much at all. At least junior captains get to fly at CommutAir. Just remember that sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side but when you get there you will find that it is not as green as it once looked.

You Xjet guys need to get in check with reality. The COEX furloughs at CommutAir were not the reason ALPA was voted down. It's because ALPA didn't convince enough of the CommutAir pilots that there was much they could do to help us. Mckpickle, why don't you tell us what ALPA could have done to help CommutAir and give us a chance to respond with why we didn't think so? We are forming an internal Mutual Interest Commitee to help communication between the pilots and management. If that doesn't work I'm sure the next ALPA drive will be a successful one. As for the furloughs. Everyone of the Coex furloughs that I have flown with except for 1 or 2 have been great. If they decide to return to Xjet I will be sad to see them leave. I wish the best for them whatever they decide to do.

Oh so OUR fulroughed pilot/ALPA liason, had nothing to do with it. SHE IS A SCAB. Go ahead send her back. I know plenty of captains who can not wait to fly with her. The COEX pilots who woted against this, after they got jobs there because of ALPA should no be allowed to return. SCABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The people who have upgraded at commutair will milk the PIC for as long as they can and will return.

Thank you for that insight. However. given the projected 30% return rate and the fact that they will be needing 144 pilots by year's end, this "milking" will not continue long enough for them to gain any appreciable PIC time. They will indeed have a difficult decision to make.

The majority say that when they are among friends, its just not too politically correct to say that to other commutair pilots.

Thank you so much for sparing our feelings. That is very gracious of you. However, I can think of 4 furloughees off the top of my head whose departure would surely not generate too many tears among the remaining pilots here at CommutAir.

With the schedules the way they are at Commutair you are lucky if you get 1000 PIC within a two year period.

Let's see......2 years plus a 6-month upgrade equals 2.5 years to get 1000 turbine PIC. That's actually not that bad! Please remember this while you are complaining in the trailer about all of your stand-up overnights. Most likely, the person you are complaining to had to sit in the right seat for 2 years+. If you're really lucky, you might be able to find someone who spent an additional year as a CQF. Yes, please complain to these captains because they really want to comfort you :rolleyes:

Not to mention the pay, work rules, no union, scheduling etc...

These are problems inherant to every airline. Please come back 1 year after your recall and tell us all about how wonderful it is there. I sincerely hope that CoEx can negotiate an industry-leading contract. It will raise the bar for everyone. Mostly, I hope they do it for the sake of you ExpressJet captains out there. Because if not, you're gonna have a heck of alot of whining from the furloughees to your right.

To all the furloughees who have a great attitude and are good employees, I sincerely hope you consider staying. To everyone else, I will gladly forward your Jepps and GOM to PLB for you.

socalpilot said:

You Xjet guys need to get in check with reality. The COEX furloughs at CommutAir were not the reason ALPA was voted down. It's because ALPA didn't convince enough of the CommutAir pilots that there was much they could do to help us.

You are wrong about this. Based on the number on Coex furloughs who actually voted (combined with the pro ALPA Commute Air votes), there were enough votes to vote ALPA in, had the Coex pilots voted for ALPA. Which means that, a number of the COEX pilots that owe their jobs at Commute Air to ALPA's efforts, turned their backs on the very organization that got them those jobs.

And, Mckpickle is right. Those people are not going to be welcomed back with open arms. In fact, at the last LEC meeting, the XJET pilots present at the meeting, voted to have the pilots (from Commute Air wanting to return to ALPA) stand in front of the membership, and plead their case on why we should let them back in. I don't know if that will still happen. It is up to the Chairman.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back