• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Erlanger

SkyWest to Transition Flying to IAH in 2011
New Crew Domiciles and Line Maintenance to be Opened

In their recent earnings call, United announced that they will begin new regional flying in Houston, Cleveland and Newark. This presents geographic opportunity for SkyWest’s route network, and we will reposition 20 of our CRJ700 aircraft to IAH in January and February 2011. The 20 aircraft will move from ORD, DEN and SFO for better utilization and efficiency throughout the system.

Details

We anticipate that ten aircraft will reposition to IAH in January, and another ten will move from existing hubs in February. We are working with United to evaluate additional transitions in March.

Maintenance and Crew Updates
· In conjunction with the new IAH routes, SkyWest will open a line maintenance base and crew domicile in Houston.
· Maintenance will immediately begin the recruitment process in preparation for the move.
· Crew bid schedules will be communicated by InFlight and Flight Operations leadership on Monday, Nov. 1.

MSP Domicile
We have maintained strong CRJ200 Delta Connection flying in Minneapolis, and we are pleased to open a new MSP crew domicile in February. Watch for crewmember details from your normal department communication channels.

More
Maintenance positions in IAH will be open Oct. 28 at SkyWest Online and www.skywest.com. Crewmembers will receive detailed crew bid information on Monday, Nov. 1. Additional information regarding the transition will be communicated through your normal department communication channels and via SkyWest Online.

Definitely some unhappy guys here at XJT (and CAL for other reasons) with the arrival of the 70 set jets in IAH but that is the business and why I don't move for regional airlines. XJT will be sending about 20 aircraft to ORD to fly in and out of ORD, IAD, and DEN. Our ORD departures will almost double next year. Enjoy Panchito's breakfast tacos SKW crews. I'm sure this will make an easier commute for many commuters.

I PRAY CAL/UAL alpa holds up on scope and stops giving 51+seat contracts.

Last edited:
It all comes down to cheap labor. Management would send the work to China if they could. UAL management would love to replace ALL 737-500 routes with 70 seat RJ's.

It is going to be very difficult to see these RJs fly our routes. At least if we caved on scope I would accept the outcome, but we didn't or have not yet.

Our union is looking into it, and I hope we can stop the outsourcing.

SkyWest guys how do you feel about flying Continental routes ?

It all comes down to cheap labor. Management would send the work to China if they could. UAL management would love to replace ALL 737-500 routes with 70 seat RJ's.

It is going to be very difficult to see these RJs fly our routes. At least if we caved on scope I would accept the outcome, but we didn't or have not yet.

They already have 94 and counting, 1437 pilots and counting on the street, where have u been? Might as well take the express off those jet cause u are all UNITED pilots now.

I hope, for the sake of my future you hold strong! I want to work for a major, this is still a stepping stone for those of us who still see the big picture.

But I'm not a SkyWest pilot.

They already have 94 and counting, 1437 pilots and counting on the street, where have u been? Might as well take the express off those jet cause u are all UNITED pilots now.

94 and counting what ?? 1437, you referring to the furloughed United pilots? Yes, I know about them. I, like many on this forum have friends who are furloughed United pilots.

... I don't blame the SkyWest guys. I understand you do not dictate where you fly, but when we get this flying back to mainline. Please don't be too sore about it !

I don't know, how do any regional pilots feel about flying mainline routes? Am I happy I'm going to be based at home now? Yes. Am I happy to be flying around my region now? Yes. Am I happy I'm still at a regional and not a major? Nope.

Besides, these are now United routes and we've been flying United routes for a long time.

... I don't blame the SkyWest guys. I understand you do not dictate where you fly, but when we get this flying back to mainline. Please don't be too sore about it !

Business is business. It's hard to be sore about that. But, with so many improvement in your contracts that are desperately needed, I fail to see the collateral that can be used for taking back 15-19 seats. That is, of course, unless you offer concessions. God I hope you guys don't do something stupid like that.

The mainline pilots only have themselves to blame. The only viable solution is to take all the planes and crews in house in one big suck and come what may as to the SLI.

Or?....or they can try to just take the big pretty RJs and get themselves nowhere, completely ignorant of the SLI process which will mostly protect them due to "career expectations" and all that crap.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and and predict they will be petty about the whole thing and merely try to tweak existing scope so they can chest thump about TAKING IT BACK and accomplish absolutely nothing.

But that's just me talking.

Latest resources

Back