• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest and Aspen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only published approach into ASE is the LOCDME-E or the VORDME, both of which are not authorized at night, do you guys have your own approaches that authorize night use? Just curious....

We have a LOC DME 15 with 16 notes such as special authorization required; special aircrew training required; special aircraft performance required; two pilot operation required; etc. Nothing in there, that I saw, that doesn't preclude a night approach. Of course I'm not one of the guys doing the ASE thing, FWIW.

A balked landing (after SENOW) should only be executed as a last resort
and only in the event a safe landing cannot otherwise be assured, i.e.
windshear, turbulence, aircraft on runway etc. If an engine failure occurs
after SENOW, a balked landing attempt may NOT clear all terrain in the
flight path, depending on the altitude at which the balked landing is
initiated, aircraft weight, and atmospheric conditions. Even with all
engines operating, there is still a risk that an engine failure could occur
during the balked landing climb-out. As such, good descent and approach
planning and proper procedure execution are vital in avoiding a situation
when a balked landing is necessary.​

Curious if this also applied to the mighty -146.​

Last edited:
Ever ferry a 700 with 1 engine inop? I didn't think so..... I have never personally flown a 146 or Avro, but I have heard MANY MANY MANY 146 stories of guys that I have flown with that have more time in that airplane than all of our total times put together, and losing an engine in the 146 WAS NOT EVEN AN EMERGENCY. They would do 3 engine ferrys all the time, so im sure those "apu's" had PLENTY of power to get that thing moving. That being said I am sure losing an engine on the 146 coming out of ASE WAS an emergency, BUT that airplane was more than capable of climbing safely out of there on 3 engines. I REALLY have a hard time believing that a CRJ 700 would have an easy time.

And to comment about the FAA not being happy, just had a Fed on the jumpseat that told us that the FAA is reviewing the CRJ going in there, and that there would have been NO WAY that his office would have ever approved that. FWIW

You know why a 146 has 4 engines? Because they couldn't fit 6.

Some of you guys just can't pass up an opportunity to sh1t on your fellow pilots.

You definately don't go into ASE with your head up your butt.

Yes, we have night authorization.

Yes, we have special approaches.

Yes, we have special training and special requalification.
Ground school
Two four hour sim sessions
Two observation flights from the jumpseat
Two flights in and out of ASE with a checkairman
A nine month committment if you want to bid ASE

Yes, a balked landing is possible.

Yes, we have special missed approach/go around procedures. And they are different depending on your altitude.

Yes, the maximum pressure altitude for takeoff and landings in the 700 is 8,000' so when the pressure was too low we could not operate. But Bombardier has finally come around and issued mods.

Could we have an accident in ASE? God I hope not! But it is possible. And those of you that are hoping for that to happen are a bunch of @#$holes

Could we have an accident in ASE? God I hope not! But it is possible. And those of you that are hoping for that to happen are a bunch of @#$holes

I don't think anyone is hoping for an accident. There is just some funny information out there that gets spread around and someone wanted an answer. Flightinfo may not be the best place to get an honest answer, but I think we've made some progress.

is there a pay override for going into ASE... are the overnights long enough to enjoy some skiing?? If not, then why in the hell would anyone want to go through special training, just to fly into a dangerous airport?

Beats the hell out of going to a dangerous airport with no training. I bet it would have helped those guys that flew the GII into the side of the mountain.

How many corporate or fractional guys who fly in there have ASE specific training?

ASE training is a learning experience. Most of our sim guys are there to teach you something instead of just breaking your 00's.

Last edited:
I think it is a very important question. As explained by Articflyer, a single engine go around may result in terrain impact which seems to resolve the question of whether you are commited. pilot2003, ASE turbulence is common. There are 3 windsocks and it is not unusual for them all to be pointing different directions. Such is life in the mountains. Skywest recieves more training then we recieved at AWAC. I wish we had had as much. The first time I ever went into ASE the captain performed a go around at around 25 feet due to severe windshear. This stuff happens and you don't have 11,000 feet of runway to fix a problem. Fly safe.

Dumbest question i've ever heard! You're at 25 agl, airplane rolls out on runway are you committed to land?

Maybe I don't want to know the answer to this, but Wisconsin had a lot more experience with ASE than we do. So, how many engine failures after initiating a go around from 25' did you guys ever have?

P.S. Knowing the history of the original engines on the BAC146 I may have just set myself up.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back