• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest and Aspen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The fact remains that you are still losing 50% of your thrust instead of 25%.

Have you ever flown a moderately loaded or empty 700? If you had, you wouldn't have so many doubts. It's fairly, um... invigorating.

I'm pretty sure the FAA did the math on this anyway, lol

I think you'te talking about aircraft with 5 APU's, not 4 engines.

The 700 is very powerful (P vs. W), vastly more so than 200.

Ever ferry a 700 with 1 engine inop? I didn't think so..... I have never personally flown a 146 or Avro, but I have heard MANY MANY MANY 146 stories of guys that I have flown with that have more time in that airplane than all of our total times put together, and losing an engine in the 146 WAS NOT EVEN AN EMERGENCY. They would do 3 engine ferrys all the time, so im sure those "apu's" had PLENTY of power to get that thing moving. That being said I am sure losing an engine on the 146 coming out of ASE WAS an emergency, BUT that airplane was more than capable of climbing safely out of there on 3 engines. I REALLY have a hard time believing that a CRJ 700 would have an easy time.

And to comment about the FAA not being happy, just had a Fed on the jumpseat that told us that the FAA is reviewing the CRJ going in there, and that there would have been NO WAY that his office would have ever approved that. FWIW

Have you ever flown a moderately loaded or empty 700? If you had, you wouldn't have so many doubts. It's fairly, um... invigorating.

I'm pretty sure the FAA did the math on this anyway, lol

Moderately loaded or empty anything is usually much better than a heavy one, that's a no-brainer. I'm not questioning the manliness of your 700, and no, I've never flown one. I'm just saying that losing one engine of 4 seems like less of an issue than losing 1 of 2. But hey, I'm just a lowly prop driver, so don't mind me.

It's the single engine balked procedure that is the problem. What do you do if you have to go around at 50 ft due to severe windshear and then during the go around you bag an engine. The 146 was safe due to it's ability to circle very slowly in a 30 degree bank. I wouldn't want to be on the CR7 in that situation. Bombardier told our company that it wasn't possible. I'm sure they wanted to sell us CR7s. I'm sure the Skywest crews are trained very well. How much info have Skywest crews recieved on the single engine balked landing though? Aren't you commited to land at a certain point per Skywest training?

I think SSDD answered this question in the 2nd post.

If you can do DEN-ASE in the snow with 70 people and all their bags and meet the SE performance criteria, then more power to you...I wouldn't want to do it in a CL65.

what's this about?

I fly to ASE just about every weekend this time of year with a corporate operator. Two week ago, in the Aspen newspaper, there was a quote of a city councilman that was saying somethings about the fact that the skywest CRJ7s can't depart when the barometric pressure is too low? What is the deal with that?

Is this another politician/mass media type who doesn't know what he is talking about or is this legit?

I fly to ASE just about every weekend this time of year with a corporate operator. Two week ago, in the Aspen newspaper, there was a quote of a city councilman that was saying somethings about the fact that the skywest CRJ7s can't depart when the barometric pressure is too low? What is the deal with that?

Until recently all CRJ7s couldn't depart. This issue has been resolved with a mod to the Cabin Pressurization System.

I don't know about the ORD flights, but for the shorter flights we can go out full.

We can do the ILSDME 15 day or night approach which at 1000/3 has the lowest minimums of any approach into ASE.

The only published approach into ASE is the LOCDME-E or the VORDME, both of which are not authorized at night, do you guys have your own approaches that authorize night use? Just curious....

Latest resources

Back