• Start date
  • Watchers 8

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
can I ask an honest question without getting flamed?
Why do the pilots of SkyWest want a union on the property? Is life really that bad? Is this to try and protect yourselves from what may happen with the ASA seniority list?
Why ALPA with all of the recent talk of them doing nothing for their
members?

Thanks for the serious responses.

Flying Illini said:
Why do the pilots of SkyWest want a union on the property? Is life really that bad? Is this to try and protect yourselves from what may happen with the ASA seniority list?
members?

a lot of it has to do with ASA. Also, our "agreement" negotiations haven't been going so great. We have nothing to stand on because we cant strike. My personal reason for wanting a union is for protection from the unknown and to have a little bargining power. Our pay raises aren't keeping up with the cost of living. Even with the longevity increases, pay isn't keeping up with the cost of living. The way things are going, once you make RJ capt, that's your earning power for the rest of your time at skywest.

Flying Illini said:
members?

How about to protect your jobs, 1.2%, future whipsawing of the pilot groups......

I think the interest in unions is certainly related to how the pilot group is treated by management. In the past they have said they were willing to work with the pilots and were really up front. For example when our 18 month temporary agreement expired no one from management came out to say "hey we're really busy with other things right now, let's talk about it in 6 months". They just let us hang and get "updates" from our pilot representatives. Do I expect a union to necessarily change that fact? No, but I think they will have to be more responsible for their own credibility when there is a union asking questions.

Another concern is the number of pilots who get "called to the carpet" over management's personal agenda. For example, posting questions on our message board that management supposedly isn't able to access. It's come to the point that you need to take a tape recorder into every meeting with the chief pilot just to get respect and fair treatment.

Do I necessarily want a union? No. Do I think they may offer more job security and actual work rules? Yes.

jehtplane said:
How about to protect your jobs, 1.2%, future whipsawing of the pilot groups......

You must be kidding jehtplane!

1. "to protect your jobs": How has ALPA been doing in this department? ALPA hasn't been "protecting" any jobs except for those in Herndon.

2. "1.2%": At least it is a positive number. The Delta pilots are about to take ANOTHER 19% paycut. The CMR pilots are about to take a paycut. Watch for more cutting to come.

3. "future whipsawing of the pilot groups": How do you figure? ALPA hasn't stopped the whipsaw between ALPA groups up to this point. How would SKYW be any different?

Put down the Herndon crack pipe...

Joe

viper548 said:
theres at least has an end date

So this 19% paycut at Delta is better than your 1.2% payraise because it ends in 5 YEARS! The last 19% paycut the Delta pilots agreed to had an end date also - it has just been extended.

Latest resources

Back