• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest ALPA OC petitions NMB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Recognizing that ALPA doesn't seem to deliver it's promises is not burying your head. It's just observing fact.

ALPA helped to stem the tide at all the airlines that went into bankruptcy. You are COMPLETELY missing the big picture. The airline managements were seeking deeper cuts than had actually been attained. ALPA fire walled management and kept management from taking more than they did. Besides, it's the pilots and their ELECTED representatives, at their airline, that ultimately made the call to accept the post 9/11 happenings. At least with ALPA they had the option to walk if things were beyond what they were willing to give. Could YOU do that with no union? In regards to ALPA and it's ineptness to deliver on it's promises- wasn't it ALPA that raised the bar for so many years. Look at the ALPA carriers as opposed to the non union carriers and the pay. Profit sharing at Jet Blue.........LOL!!!!!!!! Or maybe even Virgin America or Skybus...............LOL!!!!!!!!!! Honestly, the pay is shameful and I'd rather get out of the business.

You are the first to criticize now, but where will you be in a few years when ALPA raises the stakes and pay once again becomes what it SHOULD be?? Yes, there will be bloodshed and a lot of fighting, but it will happen. Watch, it will be the blood of those with honor, courage, and conviction that bring this industry back- it's pilots like you that sit back and hope for the opportunity to pillage in the hopes to benefit that drag this profession down.

Yes, but why does SKW remain, all things considered, the leader among the regionals? Proof of this is the simple fact that SKW continues to attract pilots from ALPA represented airlines and many of those pilots report overall improvement rather than a descline in things like QOL, culture, pay and others.

I don't doubt much of what you say but the question remains, why does SKW continue to lead among the regionals?

Lead? Lead what? Your airline is no different from any other. Are you saying that it is so good that pilots don't leave? Come on. Your no better than the next one. They want the quick upgrade and then their gone. The problem with that is DAL has already said that the DCI group will not have any growth, only replacing aircraft with a slightly larger one, i.e.70 seats replace 50 seats.

You have earned nothing. Your boss, JA, has GIVEN you everything you have because he does not want you to have a union so they create SAPA that was totally funded by management. Did it make you feel better? Did it make you feel like you have control? It seems that the mask was removed during the trial and the truth has come out about SAPA.

You state that other pilots come to SKYW and say it's better. You have to ask yourself did they take the time to TRY to improve the conditions at their former airline OR are they the type that sat back and let others control the direction. The "it's all about me" group tend to be lazy. Let someone else do the work, I'll only be here a couple of years.

If JA is such a great guy why doesn't he have a binding agreement with the pilots?

Recognizing that ALPA doesn't seem to deliver it's promises is not burying your head. It's just observing fact.

What promises? You miss the point and are part of the problem. ALPA is not an office in DC ALPA is every line pilot on a list at an airline. What you get out of ALPA is what YOUR PILOTS PUT IN!

What promises? You miss the point and are part of the problem. ALPA is not an office in DC ALPA is every line pilot on a list at an airline. What you get out of ALPA is what YOUR PILOTS PUT IN!

Are you saying hundreds of mainline pilots asked to have their retirement dumped?

One of the many ALPA (union) promises is a "legally binding contract." The inference is that if it's in the contract, that makes it water tight. Experience shows that is not the case.

For the record, I'm not part of the problem. For years, I've arrived to work every day dedicated to provide safe and efficient transportation for my passengers.

1. Are you saying hundreds of mainline pilots asked to have their retirement dumped?

On of the many ALPS (union) promises is a "legally binding contract." The inference is that if it's in the contract, that makes it water tight. Experience shows that is not the case.

2. For the record, I'm not part of the problem. FOr years, I've arrived to work every day dedicated to provide safe and efficient transportation for my passengers.

1. BK. No one, not even creditors, are protected. Don't be naive.

2. That's what every professional should do but I don't see you working with YOUR pilot group to improve things. Part of the problem or part of the solution. Your statement leads me to think that your just doing time.

Leaders lead.

For those of you who think ALPA sold out all the majors that were in bankruptcy heres something that I found out. I was talking to a United alpa guy at one of the Skywest lunches and asked the question about what has ALPA really done for people. He pointed out that while their pilots took a huge loss with loss of pensions and massive paycuts, they did however get a huge settlement of hundreds of millions. They also got an increase to their 401k's to 16% without having to contribute anything, for every $1000 they make they get $160 to their 401k without having to contribute anything. So you say but they still lost their pensions, and took huge paycuts, you are correct. Without ALPA though they would have lost it all and got no payout and no increase to their 401k's and probably have their pay cut even more. Some are talking about how the industry is hurting, but Skywest is making 30 mill a quarter, so explain how we are hurting.

Are you saying hundreds of mainline pilots asked to have their retirement dumped?

One of the many ALPA (union) promises is a "legally binding contract." The inference is that if it's in the contract, that makes it water tight. Experience shows that is not the case.

For the record, I'm not part of the problem. For years, I've arrived to work every day dedicated to provide safe and efficient transportation for my passengers.

I guess you have no idea how bankruptcy works. Bankruptcy judges cancelled contracts and upheld the companies motions to dump the pensions.

That is such a tiny loophole that has absolutely no bearing on us at SkyWest. If all hell breaks loose and SkyWest actually files bankruptcy, we'll have MUCH bigger worries than what some judge will rule.

If a company (ANY company) decides to break a contract, the damaged party has a legal right to sue the other party and get a judge to step in and FORCE the offender to live up to their end of the bargain. If (and when) SkyWest breaks the agreement with SAPA, we have NO recourse whatsoever.

Last edited:
For those of you who think ALPA sold out all the majors that were in bankruptcy heres something that I found out. I was talking to a United alpa guy at one of the Skywest lunches and asked the question about what has ALPA really done for people. He pointed out that while their pilots took a huge loss with loss of pensions and massive paycuts, they did however get a huge settlement of hundreds of millions. They also got an increase to their 401k's to 16% without having to contribute anything, for every $1000 they make they get $160 to their 401k without having to contribute anything. So you say but they still lost their pensions, and took huge paycuts, you are correct. Without ALPA though they would have lost it all and got no payout and no increase to their 401k's and probably have their pay cut even more. Some are talking about how the industry is hurting, but Skywest is making 30 mill a quarter, so explain how we are hurting.

This is a very true statement. It's like a football injury. Sure your knee is sprained, but if you wern't wearing that helmet, you would be in a coma.

Does anyone really believe that the lack of ALPA on property has led to whatever (arguable) problems there are at SKW? Perhaps it's the current nature of the industry.

On the other hand, has the presence of ALPA at other regionals led to all the great things the OC is currently promising for SKW?

very good points. perhaps nothing, it IS because of the industry. in fact, I think I'll change my signature to reflect that truism.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back