• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest ALPA OC petitions NMB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Peanut Butter Jar Principle of Management.

At the college I attended, more than 20 years ago now, we dined in a huge build ing—all 4,000 plus of us at once. Seating arrangements were 10 per table with a mix of all classes at each table. The seniors sat at the head of the table and the freshmen sat at the end. The peanut butter jars, of course, were somewhere in the middle. We all liked the peanut butter jars—especially a new untouched one. The first person to delve into a “virgin” jar often did so with some ceremony.

One day we arrived at lunch to discover the peanut butter jars were gone—replaced by little peanut butter packets. We were not happy. A form was filled out by the freshmen at each meal. After checking the usual boxes— Fast, Neat, Average, Friendly, Good—they would inquire if any upperclassmen had any comments for the form. “We want the peanut butter jars back!” we screamed. Word quickly spread through the 400 plus tables and the write-in campaign was on. Three meals per day, over a thousand forms each day going in to whomever read them, demanding the return of the peanut butter jars.

About a month and 30,000 forms later, we arrived at lunch and, while milling around the tables prior to the announcements that proceeded our dining, we noticed THE JARS WERE BACK! The crescendo of conversational noise in the huge hall was appreciably louder than normal as people took notice. We fell silent as the announcements from “the tower” began. The final announcement, appropriately, was simply “…and gentlemen, the peanut butter jars have returned!” PANDEMONIUM! Four thousand guys celebrating like we’d just beaten Army and Navy in football on the same afternoon.

Except for one guy. Standing to my left was Dave T., one class senior to me. Dave had this little grin on his face as he sadly shook his head while observing the raucous behavior of the student body. “What’s wrong with you?” I asked. His reply was something I’d never forget. “Look at everybody…so happy…yet we don’t have one thing we didn’t have a month ago.” Dave, for some irrational reason, later chose to be an officer in the Marines, but I’ll never
forget him as the author of what I later dubbed “The Peanut Butter Jar Principle of Management.”

The concept is simple. If you want to raise the morale of the workforce you don’t necessarily have to give them anything. Merely taking something away and reinstating it later will have the same effect.

OK guys, I'll add my $.02.

I worked at Mesa Air for about two years. I'm pro-ALPA.

Here is the reason. ALPA isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, it's the only thing though. I really don't see a downside to voting in ALPA. What will happen if it comes on property at SKYW? Nothing. We will still make money, planes will still fly, and we'll continue to make an awesome profit. I'm glad we make 30 million a quarter, I can't wait until we make 50!

Here's the deal though. We're not some schmo who just showed up one day and became a pilot, and we work in an industry that is almost completely based on seniority. We have a personal investment in this company, and we do our best to see it survive. Every day that your seniority progresses at SKYW you add a penny to that investment, one day at a time you invest part of your most limited asset, time, into this company, and it's collective future. ALPA is just one tool to be used to insure that the investment you make isn't wiped away by a penstroke from a corporate leader, or unsavory manager.

In the great depression (which 9/11 reflects in this industry) many banks failed. This led to the FDIC being implemented in the banking industry. If you read the fine print you will find that the FDIC only insures $100,000 per account held. It isn't perfect, but I don't see anyone abstaining form depositing funds in an FDIC insured account because, "It won't protect everything." ALPA is an important step in the right direction for protecting your priceless investment in the success of this company. A company which I love.

Second, ALPA has a large number of services and protections which simply are not available without union representation. I would support an independant union, wholeheartedly, but due to the nature and demographic of a regional carrier, it would ultimately fail.

Thirdly, this is a reason for which I am most supportive of ALPA or any union for a specialized trade, ESPECIALLY a seniority driven trade. ALPA is a way of taking ownership of your PROFESSION! FACE IT, LIKE IT OR NOT YOU ARE A HIGHLY TRAINED PROFESSIONAL! Every day at work you are not being paid for showing up and completeling tasks. The company is paying rent on your certificate. Something which you risk every day on the line. SOmething that many employees at every airline know, and sometimes care nothing about. Ever been pressured to fly by a crew scheduler? Are they really qualified to suggest you fly ANY trip? No, so you better get someone in your corner who can tell them to shove it. You may move on one day to a major, or some other airline, that airline will have whatever it has in terms of PAY/QOL etc. based solely on the failure or success of ALPA. (alpa or not). We need to collectively face the reality of what this industry is. It is a dirty one, and a cuthroat one, and a UNION profession.

Don't want to join the union, fine! Just don't EVER complain about a single thing ever again for your entire career. Like it or not we are here because of three factors: Government, Management, and PILOT GROUPS. Historically management has been anti-pilot, government has been sluggish at best to protect the public and even slower to protect us, the driving force behind every single solitary flight.

PM me with any questions.

At the college I attended, more than 20 years ago now, we dined in a huge build ing—all 4,000 plus of us at once. Seating arrangements were 10 per table with a mix of all classes at each table. The seniors sat at the head of the table and the freshmen sat at the end.

Mitch's?

OK guys, I'll add my $.02.

I worked at Mesa Air for about two years. I'm pro-ALPA.

Here is the reason. ALPA isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, it's the only thing though. I really don't see a downside to voting in ALPA. What will happen if it comes on property at SKYW? Nothing. We will still make money, planes will still fly, and we'll continue to make an awesome profit. I'm glad we make 30 million a quarter, I can't wait until we make 50!

Here's the deal though. We're not some schmo who just showed up one day and became a pilot, and we work in an industry that is almost completely based on seniority. We have a personal investment in this company, and we do our best to see it survive. Every day that your seniority progresses at SKYW you add a penny to that investment, one day at a time you invest part of your most limited asset, time, into this company, and it's collective future. ALPA is just one tool to be used to insure that the investment you make isn't wiped away by a penstroke from a corporate leader, or unsavory manager.

In the great depression (which 9/11 reflects in this industry) many banks failed. This led to the FDIC being implemented in the banking industry. If you read the fine print you will find that the FDIC only insures $100,000 per account held. It isn't perfect, but I don't see anyone abstaining form depositing funds in an FDIC insured account because, "It won't protect everything." ALPA is an important step in the right direction for protecting your priceless investment in the success of this company. A company which I love.

Second, ALPA has a large number of services and protections which simply are not available without union representation. I would support an independant union, wholeheartedly, but due to the nature and demographic of a regional carrier, it would ultimately fail.

Thirdly, this is a reason for which I am most supportive of ALPA or any union for a specialized trade, ESPECIALLY a seniority driven trade. ALPA is a way of taking ownership of your PROFESSION! FACE IT, LIKE IT OR NOT YOU ARE A HIGHLY TRAINED PROFESSIONAL! Every day at work you are not being paid for showing up and completeling tasks. The company is paying rent on your certificate. Something which you risk every day on the line. SOmething that many employees at every airline know, and sometimes care nothing about. Ever been pressured to fly by a crew scheduler? Are they really qualified to suggest you fly ANY trip? No, so you better get someone in your corner who can tell them to shove it. You may move on one day to a major, or some other airline, that airline will have whatever it has in terms of PAY/QOL etc. based solely on the failure or success of ALPA. (alpa or not). We need to collectively face the reality of what this industry is. It is a dirty one, and a cuthroat one, and a UNION profession.

Don't want to join the union, fine! Just don't EVER complain about a single thing ever again for your entire career. Like it or not we are here because of three factors: Government, Management, and PILOT GROUPS. Historically management has been anti-pilot, government has been sluggish at best to protect the public and even slower to protect us, the driving force behind every single solitary flight.

PM me with any questions.

Well said!! This is something all the I'm only at __________ (insert your favorite regional airline here crowd) for my 1000pic so who cares need to read. It's not about pay it's about your profession.

Skynation did you vote in the SAPA election?

I voted for BS. not sure why that matters since
he won by a landslide, and I'm not a cheerleader for SAPA. I wouldn't care if they went away, as long as at the end of the day I can look around and still feel like I'm doing better here than my counterparts elsewhere.

anyone else bored with this same old discussion?

Bored with the same old sapa excuses and hollow promises. Let's make Skywest a better place for the future. Sapa will not and cannot improve QOL or Pay.
I am bored with the PBS sh it le spreader. 10 days off as a standard is not Skywest at any level.

Latest resources

Back