• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest ALPA OC petitions NMB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, but why does SKW remain, all things considered, the leader among the regionals? Proof of this is the simple fact that SKW continues to attract pilots from ALPA represented airlines and many of those pilots report overall improvement rather than a descline in things like QOL, culture, pay and others.

I don't doubt much of what you say but the question remains, why does SKW continue to lead among the regionals?

perhaps the powers that be are keeping things at skywest decent enough for some to consider us one of the 'leaders among regionals' in an attermpt to prevent alpa from being voted on property. but should all the naysayers and anti-unionists get their way and alpa is voted down...well then watch out, the axe may fall and our being a leader will be just a distant memory.

on the contrary, some of the big wigs will be in LA next week for the SAPA meeting, and I wouldn't be surprised if we're thrown some of bone or goodies.

that's what i mean. they probably will throw a bone or goodies...kind of like a bribe. they won't take it away again till the vote is over and done with.

It's amazing that you admit that they may throw bone, rather than actually deal with the problems, but that's ok with you.

very good points. perhaps nothing, it IS because of the industry. in fact, I think I'll change my signature to reflect that truism.

No, those points are idiotic.

The problems at SkyWest are that QOL and compensation are slowly eroding. That is indisputable. If we had a contract that whole time it would have been ILLEGAL for company to make those changes.

EVERY INDUSTRY wants to minimize costs and maximize profits. There is nothing magical about this industry that makes it necessary to treat the employees worse than any other industry. In fact, this highly profitable company has absolutely NO reason to be nickle-and-diming us to death.

And ONCE AGAIN, you introduce the retarded argument that ALPA is making pie-in-the-sky promises. IT'S NOT HAPPENING!!!! Show me ONE such promise from a credible union OC member!

And ONCE AGAIN, you introduce the retarded argument that ALPA is making pie-in-the-sky promises. IT'S NOT HAPPENING!!!! Show me ONE such promise from a credible union OC member!

Good Point!! In-fact here's EXACTLY what the OC is promising at SkyWest...

1. Skywest pilots will promote safety in our practices, policies and in our contract and will join efforts with management to have Skywest Airlines achieve the finest safety record in the airline industry.

2. Our relationship with management will provide clear statements and understandings of the contractual rights and responsibilities of both parties. We will promote a positive atmosphere and a constructive labor relations environment that respects different points of view and recognizes the importance of a healthy and growing company. We will seek to resolve any disputes or
differences in a fair and timely manner.

3. Compensation, work rules, benefits and job security will recognize the substantial contribution that pilots make to the company’s success and will make employment at Skywest a realistic and rewarding choice for our careers.

4. Pilot leadership will seek input and involvement from members; our practices will be open, inclusive and democratic; and, we will recruit and train future leaders to carry forward these values. We will represent our members professionally and effectively.

5. Our pilot group will participate actively in our Association and seek opportunities to work constructively for the good of our profession and for a stronger Association.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

This is a very true statement. It's like a football injury. Sure your knee is sprained, but if you wern't wearing that helmet, you would be in a coma.

Go away freddie, how about you lick your wounds from losing the colgan drive. ALPA steals 2% of your paycheck period end of sentance. This is big reason why it wont pass at SkyWest. BTW you are invited to my goodbye ALPA BBQ. It may have to be held in New Jersey but I hope to find a way to make it work in chicago.

Skynation- although I'm on the other side of the argument, I'll at least give ya props for some of your points.

The way I see it, 9-11 changed everything. I was fairly new to the 121 side of airplanes. The majors were hiring like crazy ( probably the only way my dumbass got hired).

But even then I was looking around and asking myself how the majors planned on sustaining all this growth. Came as no surprise to me when the furloughs went through the roof.

I'm old enough to remember the CAL/UAL strikes. I didn't need "Flying The Line" to explain it to me. CEO's who run unchecked start to act as if it's a big Monopoly game and God help you if they get Boardwalk and the hotels.

I was anti-union when I first came here too. I have just seen the QOL slip too far. I do want a raise, but not at the expense of crippling the Co. My dog in this fight is QOL.

I voted for the new SAPA President. I have ZERO faith in SAPA, but I voted. Did you?

The new President of Skywest has been here about 5 yrs. JA won't be around forever, and this guy will do what almost every CEO in history has done. (GET HIS). And whether or not you like BH it's his job to not give us any more than he's forced to. SAPA has no negotiaing power.

You can ask what a union has done for regionals. I think the better question would be "What would some regionals be without one?" Mesa- who's CEO would have you chained in a cave on your 1 DAY off comes to mind...

By the time this actually comes to a vote, this thread will be about 100 pages long. Mostly from rehashing the same issues with the likes of Skynation and Hellonewman.

yeah, and the same rehashing doesn't come from you, jayme, Gr82 and all the others? sheesh

let's have the stupid vote and move on. I'll still be very surprised if it passes

Latest resources

Back