• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://www.skywestpilot.com/interview/be

From http://www.skywestpilot.com/interview/bens.html

New Hire Training Pay
From the first day of class pilots will receive the following pay.
$19.02 per flight hour
65 hour/month guarantee based on a five day work week while in all phases of training until reaching IOE.
Hotel accommodations will be provided while attending training.
IOE pay increases the guarantee to 75 hour/month

It would be a bummer if they wern't doing that anymore, and if someone from skywest is reading you guys should update the website.

Good point Larry! The board that Jim Black used to run was great..........the regular web site for pilots me thinks has been forgotten. For that matter, my aps on line since 2000 are in the same catagory too.

More coffee?

Keep the faith,

Finch

I'm in the pool at ACA and in training we receive $200 per week and no lodging. In other words, not enough to survive on if you don't have a free place to stay in Dulles. Truth be told I would accept a class date whether I got paid in training or not. I can't wait to join the airline ranks, but I'm also single, and I don't have large loan payments etc. to pay off. In this economy, in this industry, I'm just happy to be one of the guys with an offer rather than one of the guys flipping burgers.

The above post is one of the reasons that the vast majority of regional pilots get paid and treated like they do.

Inthepool writes, "I can't wait to join the airline ranks", well I think that you should wait to join and refuse to work for slave wages. Comair goes on strike to help not only themselves but the pilots of regional airlines throughout the country, and then companies like Freedom start up and spineless pilots beat down their door to work for them. Not to mention Big Sky taking a totally concessionary contract in order to get jets when they knew full well that Mesaba pilots are in negotiations to help raise the bar. I am not in the pool at Skywest nor do I want to work there, but I definetly agree with the post from the guy who is no longer going to take the job because they lied to him. Thats right, they lied to him and all other applicants.

We all need to work together to get rid of the bottom feeders.

Mayday

Mayday,

Agree with you there! Too many pilots out there are willing to whore themselves out to get started. Nothing wrong with starting at the bottom, but.....AS A PILOT YOU ARE PROVIDING A SERVICE! Demand to be compensated for that service. YOu have spent time and money to get the point that you can provide that service.

EMB...
You are wrong about me. I love this company and my job. I have been here for over 10 years. The difference is that I have not drank the kool-aid that gets passed out down in SGU. I think what irritates me so much is that this company has the potential to be a GREAT company. Instead thy screw around with the way they handle people and situations and stay at the good company level.

Our officers said that no employee making under 30K would take a pay cut. A new hire pilot makes under 30K. Why the double standard?

Not trying to start anything here, but in your post Mayday you rip on inthepool for going to ACA, but then try and praise Comair for raising the bar........well Comair raised the bar (new contract) for thier new hires to the almost the exact same thing $240 a week and no hotel. Even our old contract (1996) that we are still working under pays new hires the min 75hr guarantee with hotel, but then again my airline isn't exactly the place to be right now, but that follows into the fact that we are willing to take it in the shorts to go to certain companies

I will agree with you though, this exploitation of new hires is bull**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**. Anyone who says "they are just trying to cut costs", save it!! I don't want to hear it. I'm a professional, treat me like one, the first year payscales are insulting enough. Why is it the first year I start somewhere my worth is $21./hr, but then over the course of a year my worth jumps all the way to $34, but then every other year efter that just dollar raises to follow. Flame away......AD

Last edited:
Ziggy1 said:

OK Monkey...the answer is neither. Run the business better and make some money is the only answer. They will take it from you if they can and new hires are the way it always starts.

Ziggy,

If you were talking about AMR or UAL I would agree whole heartedly. When you make the argument with reference to SkyWest, it diesn't hold water.

SkyWest is likely the best run regional airline in the industry. To claim SkyWest is mismanaged is laughable. The other DCI carriers could stand to learn a thing or two about the quality of service that SkyWest manages to consistently provide.

That being said, the new policy sucks. It won't slow anyone down though. Just 4 years ago thousands of pilots were paying for the training. There are plenty more out there. This is just the beginning. I said it months ago. PFT will be rearing its' ugly head before too long.

Last edited:
At what point is a SkyWest pilot considered to be an employee. There are several states that require an employee be compensated federal per-diem or minimum wage(which ever is higher) if an employee is required to perform a benefit(and training falls under that) for the company and that benefit occurs more than 50 miles away from the employees base of employment. I cannot find the reference that pertained to this but I have read it in the past.....

MetroSheriff said:
Ziggy,

If you were talking about AMR or UAL I would agree whole heartedly. When you make the argument with reference to SkyWest, it diesn't hold water.

SkyWest is likely the best run regional airline in the industry. To claim SkyWest is mismanaged is laughable.>

Hey MetroSheriff, You got me out of context a little. I have no idea how well Skywest is run or not run. I was responding to the premise that (to paraphrase) "IF Skywest needs to make cutbacks who should pay the price...Pilots that have been with the company or newhires". Neither group should have to work for free regardless of the need to make cuts. Frankly, if it's Skywest's desire to remain non-union they just shot themselves in the foot. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 said:
MetroSheriff said:
Ziggy,

SkyWest is likely the best run regional airline in the industry. To claim SkyWest is mismanaged is laughable.>

Hey MetroSheriff, You got me out of context a little. I have no idea how well Skywest is run or not run. I was responding to the premise that (to paraphrase) "IF Skywest needs to make cutbacks who should pay the price...Pilots that have been with the company or newhires". Neither group should have to work for free regardless of the need to make cuts. Frankly, if it's Skywest's desire to remain non-union they just shot themselves in the foot. Ziggy1

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back