Skywest again;)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Andy,

I hope your right, but after reading the latest on i-share it seems doubtful. Personally, I wouldn't mind doubling up when I go to RJ training if it would keep a fellow SW pilot from having to fork out his/her own dough.

On the other side I think it says alot when the top 3 officers in the company talk about pay cuts they begin with a 20% paycut for themselves, & they don't cut the pilots pay.

double up

It's easy to double in rooms when you have your best friend going to school with you. It also helps when you have friends who will support you with a place to stay while in training. Management will dig deep in their own pockets before it tries to push the burden on the workforce...now that's the markings of a great company, and I'm sticking by it.

Back in the days...

I too went to SkyWest in 1996 and did not have the luxury of a paid-for-hotel room. However, here's an interesting idea. When I went through training at SkyWest a handful of us stayed at a hostel just south of downtown SLC. It was called the "Ute Hostel" (don't know if they're still around... could've turned into a crack house for all I know.)

You'll need wheels to get to/from training, but if one or two guys has a car, then you can carpool. We were able to stock groceries in the kitchen and cook our dinners as opposed to eating at a hotel "greasy spoon." You'd be amazed how much money you can save by buying groceries. The hostel charged $88/week for a bed. We all kind of made it a fun experience, studied together, cooked dinners together, drank "Utah" beer on the weekends (not much kick to it ;) ), and met lots of nice people.

I don't know if this is going to be an issue or not, but if this is true about the hotel rooms, then the hostel may be an option worth looking into.

Just heard today that the guys interviewing yesterday for the March class were told not to expect pay during training.

I think they're still gonna put you up in the hotel but they may have to double up...

Everybody has to tighten their belts a little in these strange days. I have no doubt that SkyWest is still the best place around.

So what is going to happen to the people in the Feb. 3 class?
Are they going to get paid during training and get a hotel?

From what I heard the Feb class is still okay as they were promised those benifits at the time of interview, but don't hold me to it...

New hires should get a room, and paid. If they do it to pilots, they should do it to everybody. Rampers, CSR's, Flight Attendents, everybody. I also don't think that they should cut pilots pay either. They already don't make that much, and management knows this. That is why regionals make it. Thats what I see.

SkyWest in trouble?

Is SkyWest in trouble? I don't think so, I believe these and other precautions recently ie: charging for United WYO, intentionally understaffing the EMB-120 pilot staff in order to save some bucks, while placing a good amount of stress on it's pilot force (which could have been remedy very easily by running classes that were scheduled for last summer on time instead of waiting last second by delaying the classes until fall). In addition to cutting new hire training pay and bed buddy funds are just ways to put money into a war chest so SkyWest can make it through a time when it would probably be good to just let the dust settle, as opposed to buying multiple RJ's per month.
If SkyWest can afford to put several RJ's on line per month I think it can afford to pay $8000 a month to 30 starving new hire FO's! I realize that things were different back in the day but so was SkyWest, I am very thankful to have been paid the little amount I was during training and I feel I was treated very well throughout the ordeal, but the 65 hours X $19.02 I was paid for what turned out to be about 6.5 weeks was not only a financial boost but I think it helps with morale to know you are at least getting a little something.
I suppose today SkyWest could find a stack of folks that would even PFT to get into a EMB-120 but I think it is a nice touch the way their training department takes care of new hires and it gets things off to a nice start! I don't think it is such a good idea for a small company filling such big shoes in the days to come to put a dirty taste in the mouths of new FO's by taking away something that was just recently a benefit of their peers...
SkyWest has made it a long time without a union and hopefully it will stay that way!!!!! But there seems to be some unhappy folks recently and this move won't improve their side of the vote, maybe they should just kick down the $ for training and make everyone happy...it may save them the same amount or more in dealing with a union in the future.

IF SKYWEST NEEDS TO SAVE MONEY

If Skywest needs to save money, who would it be better to take it out on? The pilots who have proven themselves and have flown for Skywest for some time, or the new guy looking to get on board? It is an interesting thought. I know that Skywest is not union, but it seems as though many unions or in Skywest's case pilot groups, see it necessary to pay pilots while in training. I agree that it is good to do so. But the not so caring side of me says I would rather have a bigger paycheck, and let the new guy get paid once he's paid his dues with Skywest.

any thoughts?

<If Skywest needs to save money, who would it be better to take it out on? The pilots who have proven themselves and have flown for Skywest for some time, or the new guy looking to get on board? >

OK Monkey...the answer is neither. Run the business better and make some money is the only answer. They will take it from you if they can and new hires are the way it always starts.

Latest resources

Back