• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest again;)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My post wasn't intended to chastise anyone from going to ACA, that is why I didn't mention any particular airline in my previous post. It is the attitude that I take issue with, the attitude that says I will take anything in order to fly "bigger" airplanes...anything including what sometimes seems like nothing. Gone are the days when some can think that the flight time is some sort of compensation because it will help you move up to the majors. It is time to foght for what we all deserve. The new pilots coming into this industry need to be educated on pilot labor issues and alot of the crap that happens in this industry.

Mayday.

Employee??

> At what point is a SkyWest pilot considered to be an
> employee. There are several states that require an
> employee be compensated federal per-diem or
> minimum wage....

Hmm, interesting point. I wonder if one could still collect Unemployment Benefits from their home state under such conditions. Flight privileges don't even kick in until the 31st day of "employment." So the only "compensation" a new pilot employee would get is training and a shared hotel room, but no money until the checkride is complete.

skypine69 said:
EMB...
You are wrong about me. I love this company and my job. I have been here for over 10 years.

Our officers said that no employee making under 30K would take a pay cut. A new hire pilot makes under 30K. Why the double standard?
Your previous post did not sound like it was written by someone who loves their company. That is why I called you on it.
I don't know the details of the pay cuts well enough to discuss them. All I heard was that they started at the top which is much different than what I have observed eleswhere.
What's your position at Sky West?

Mayday, please don't take me as one of those people who would sell out their mother to fly a jet. I never even considered sending Freedumb a resume due to their policies which amount to grand theft. My point was this: As someone who has dreamed of being in this profession since I was 5, that time has finaly come. Unfortunately, the realities of our industry are that there are huge numbers of qualified applicants and extremely limited oppurtunities. That means if I don't do it for $200 a month in training, someone else will for sure. Don't think for a minute Skywest will have any trouble filling it's classes regardless of this new policy. As a coworker of mine likes to say, "You have to eat *%$^* to get where you want to be." I'm just thankful for my oppurtunities.

RJ Captain.

Yes, one can love a company and still complain about it. I understand that you may have misunderstood that from reading my post. However, that complaint is because I want Skywest to be a GREAT company, (like it used to be in my opinion.) Nothing wrong with wanting the place you will likely retire from (unless I decide to quit!) to be the best possible place to be. Sitting back and saying nothing when something is done wrong is worse than complaining!

Missing the point?

skypine69 said:
RJ Captain.

Yes, one can love a company and still complain about it... Sitting back and saying nothing when something is done wrong is worse than complaining!

Skypine, I don't think you could have put it better. People need to stand up for what they believe and more importantly, we all need to stand together.

I think many of you are missing the main point here. If SkyWest wants to change their policies, go for it. But how about some advance notice. As one guy pointed out, the website STILL states that new hires get paid. Also, they told us in the interview that we would be getting paid for training and less than two weeks before training begins, they back down from their word. That's no way of welcoming your new employees, is it? It has certainly left some of us new hires in a pinch as this drastic policy change took affect AFTER some of us notified our current employers we were leaving.

I wonder if all of Skywest's ground school attendees(can't call them new hires if they are not employees and cant call them employees if they are not being compensated) were to apply for welfare and food stamps on the first day of class if that might not catch the eye of the State of Utah. And of course if they are not employees than they better not be providing them with saftey and security sensitive material or providing them with SkyWest badges or applying for SIDA badges for them. And of course no simulator training as that would be a violation of TSA regs. Last but not least, if a single company officer on the first day of ground school says "welcome to SkyWest" then employment is implied and they will be in violation of several Utah stautes.
HMMM...... is the ill will generated and the few bucks saved worth all that ......

Remember..Skywest is still a dysfunctional family run airline or is it an airline run by a dysfunctional family.... doesn't really matter as they are all the same no matter where you find them......... and none of this prevents it from being an OK place to work............

Latest resources

Back