Skywest again;)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: ground school pay / rooms

I was scheduled in the 1/29/03 class. I got a call from HR today informing me that I would no longer be getting paid for groundschool and I'd have to double up in a room or pay for half my room if I wanted one to myself.

This was after I was told I'd be getting paid for GS and would have my own room at the interview. Lies aren't a good way to start a relationship with a future employee.

I decided that if the company couldn't back their word and couldn't afford $1300 dollars a month then this was the wrong place for me. I'm cheap but not free. I very politely declined the position.

I'm not trying to make a statement about whether you should or shouldn't work for free. Hopefully this will clear things up for possible future employees.

Looks like Great Lakes has finally achieved parity with Skywest...and didn't have to spend a dime to do it!

SkyWesterly

It sucks to know that management can get away with cutting the newhire's big pay for a month and still have people interested in a job...You gotta love this industry. Welcome to the commuters! :D

SkyWest Training Pay

I have yet to speak to anyone at SkyWest since getting a job offer, but I received a FedEx package today that was sent only YESTERDAY... It stated DOUBLE OCCUPANCY rooms will be provided. The packet also echoed what we were told in the interview; which is PAID training. If this is not the case, I have yet to be informed and it's less than two weeks prior to the class date they offered. This would be very hard to swallow IF the above info is true. Not to mention very hard to budget on such short notice. With that said, I'll keep a positive outlook unless/until I hear reason not to.

No offense to any SkyWest pilot but it's totally bogus for mgmt to change the terms of a job offer after the offer is made. If they want to eliminate pay during training that's their perogative. To change the policy afer someone has possibly given notice at their existing job could put the new hire between a rock and a financial hard place.

As a curent Skywest pilot I can confirm this new policy.
It is very disappointing and frankly wrong. Management has not listened to the pilot group on this subject and changed the policy.

No doubt this is a blackeye for all Skywest pilots, and in my opinion a foreshadowing for the future here. We will loose alot of great pilots to this horrible policy.

In regards to the above 'rumor'...

I received a call from SkyWest yesterday confirming that we are no longer paid for training and that we will be doubling up in the hotel rooms for the February 3rd class. Regardless, I'm still going and am looking forward to joining the SkyWest team.

Regards.. damouse

Out of curiosity how is SkyWest handling the training of the rest of their employees? Do they pay the rampers, FA's etc while in training and has the policy changed recently? Are they calling other employees who they've already promised to pay when they hired them and informing them that they will no longer be paid?

I'm more than a little ticked at the new policy because I already quit my previous job to go to SkyWest. They didn't honor what they told me at the interview. I'd rather be unemployed then work for a company that won't honor their word. It's just not a good way to start things out.

Yes, everybody else gets paid while in training. For those choosing between multiple job offers, I would suggest going elsewhere. The first year pay rate is already low compared to many others out there, and to work for free for two months is rediculous. Our non-union pilot group is opposed to the change but powerless to do anything about it.

Our F/As have always had to pay for their own hotel room.

Even if we were union we couldn't do much about this as pilot's don't become union members until they finish class at the earliest.

Obviously this policy was strongly opposed by the pilots. It's very frustrating to see this happening while the company still puts out a monthly newspaper, yearbooks, reams of posters and calenders, etc.

I still think that Skywest is one of the best places to be right now. Managment is doing what they have to do to stay competitive and it's important to remeber that the biggest cuts were at the top. Jerry, Brad, and Ron (the top managment) all took 20% pay cuts and all the higher salaried people took 10% and the pilots, F/A, mechanics, rampers, etc took 0%.

Scott

Latest resources

Back