• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest again;)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
<Even if we were union we couldn't do much about this as pilot's don't become union members until they finish class at the earliest>

Fly safe!

Guppy Puppy

Are you one of those guys who blame the demise of West Air on ALPA too??

You speak about someone being "misinformed"...well, Let ME inform you this...ALPA is not the lastest subject at SkyWest.

Quote.....

"Are you one of those guys who blame the demise of West Air on ALPA too??

You speak about someone being "misinformed"...well, Let ME inform you this...ALPA is not the lastest subject at SkyWest."

....Two-9-9-Twoset

What does "lastest subject" mean?

You seem to insinuate that I blame the demise of EWA on ALPA. If that is an accusation, apparently I need to re-assert my position. CNF closed the doors on Emery in violation of EWA's pilots agreement with EWA and CNF. I am upset with ALPA because the pilots got only two weeks of severance pay when they should have been paid out on the remainder of their contract. Make no mistake about it, it was CNF who finally closed the doors on EWA, not the FAA. The FAA got the ball rolling when they asked EWA to surrender their certificate in Aug. '01. EWA had a green light later that fall from the FAA, but CNF pulled the plug and decided to contract out all of their lift.

I just heard on the radio that the recently fired coach of the SF 49ers, Steve Mariucci (sp?), will be paid out on the remainder of his contract, even though his employment was terminated early. This only seems fair since it was a contract. The same should be applied to the EWA pilots.

ALPA has removed the elected EWA MEC and placed a "custodian" in charge of the EWA case. Once again, I encourage you to visit:

www.emerycrew.org

See what ALPA has done for the EWA crewmembers lately.

As far as Westair...I never worked there and am not familiar with their plight, so I won't comment on their case.

And, back to the original thread...SkyWest management took a 20% paycut, but didn't cut pay or benefits for the pilots. Only the new-hire pay has been cut out. In my opinion this is not reason enough to form a union.

Cheers!

GP

Last edited:
Even if we were union we couldn't do much about this as pilot's don't become union members until they finish class at the earliest.

That isn't true. The Almighty Evil ALPA at AirWis has specific language in our contract regarding new hire pay. You may be on probation, but you are a pilot and a member of the "team" (a feel good word that is kind of silly) from the moment you show up for initial training.

AirWis, like many others, pays new hires their aircraft's first year rate and they cover the single occupancy hotel room.

S.

Last edited:
GuppyPuppy said:
[BAnd, back to the original thread...SkyWest management took a 20% paycut, but didn't cut pay or benefits for the pilots. [/B]

I wish that kind of thinking would spread to the rest of the industry. Everywhere else the cuts seem to start at the bottom. Pretty amazing when you consider that Sky West is one of the few (only?) non-union Pt 121 pax airlines.

The fact that SkyWest management took a 20% pay cut has to be taken with a grain of salt. That's a 20% pay cut from their salary but doesn't include stock options and bonuses which I understand make up the great majority of their overall compensation.

OK, here is the deal..... Skywest management knows that they can save money by not paying newhires. THey also know that there are plenty of pilots out there who will go with out the pay. I did it 4 years ago. that dont make it right. THey pay rampers. mechanics, CS etc because they know that they could never hire someone for those positions and not pay them for the training they do. SKywest is taking advantage of the current situation to try and help their bottom line. If they cant afford to pay our employees they should not be expanding. Its that simple. I am considering quitting over this deal. It means that much to me that my fellow pilots out there are being asked to work their arse off for 6 weeks with no pay while we have 2 houseboats sitting down on lake powell for the corp officers to use.
This is so wrong. it makes me sick to my stomach. and yes the fact that we have no union is the reason they are able to do this. we have a policy that dictates the training pay for newhires. if it was a legal contract they would not be able to violate it without it costing even more money in lawyer fees when we grieve it and win!

My opinion.....if you have a class date or interview date with SKywest Airlines....do not show up. Dont bother to call either. They dont care enough about you so dont show them any consideration.

skypine69 said:

I am considering quitting over this deal. It means that much to me that my fellow pilots out there are being asked to work their arse off for 6 weeks with no pay while we have 2 houseboats sitting down on lake powell for the corp officers to use.

You sound pretty unhappy. Perhaps quitting would be the best thing for you. Maybe you could get a fresh start with a company that doesn't have houseboats.

You also sound like you want to hurt the company as evidenced by your statements - "don't show up, don't call etc." Of course you probably don't like your coworkers because they will be the ones working overtime if classes don't get filled. I'm sure Sky West isn't hiring people just so pilots have more seniority.

I forgot to ask you SkyPine, are you a ramper, FA, gate agent, or what?

SkyWestCRJPilot said:
The fact that SkyWest management took a 20% pay cut has to be taken with a grain of salt. That's a 20% pay cut from their salary but doesn't include stock options and bonuses which I understand make up the great majority of their overall compensation.

I don't know their compensation details but even if it's symbolic it says a lot for the company IMHO.

I recently heard this news and Yes it is frustrating for people who are coming from instructing, furloughs, etc. who are already broke!!!

I too heard of a guy turning down a class date because of this and while I would not want to be in their shoes especially if they have a family to support, I would still take the job if I could manage it!

Things are tough right now, and I had been looking for a job for over a year before getting on at SkyWest, and SkyWest has been great so far! I'm just glad I got through training when I did!!!
Right now I'm feeling very lucky! I think they are doing everything they can to cut costs. They are taking away everything from free coffee and cable in crew lounges on down but I think it is being done to show our major partners that we can keep costs down.
not to screw the working man.....

They need pilots bad right now!!! There seems to be a lot of movement and I don't think any of us will be sitting on reserve for long if at all.....

So, don't give up hope people! I just don't think any place is totally safe these days!!! But you have to make your moves carfully in this business and the guys who can't make the jump now I do feel bad for........

As far as a union? Well it is possible that it will come true some day, but will it help the company or hurt it I cannot say because I've never been a member of one? But union or not the company still has to make a profit if it wants to stay in business! ECON. 101

I'm really wondering what SAPA's position is on this and I wonder if they plan to stick out their necks for the new hires?

Good Luck!!!
skydog

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back