Skywest 35-Year Aircraft Unveiled

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
11 pages....minimum....

I flew at ASA, and am now happy here at SkyWest. The work rules are better. I make more money. In fact, I'll make more here on first year pay than I did at ASA on second year pay, and I'm not even getting the 70/90 override yet. The reason for this is due to our short staffed domicile and getting credited 90-100 hours per month as well as the minimum value of a day, premiums for duty days longer than 12 hours, duty rigs, time and a half for picking up open time, etc.

I keep an extra two percent of my paycheck. The ramp is a million times better. The flight attendants are better looking and more motivated. The gate people are friendly. Everyone is happier overall. The chest thumpers are the minority. It cracks me up to listen to the SkyWest guys gripe about our problems. Sure, we have some, but compared to ASA, we are on easy street.

All of the arguments for ALPA are based on fear...fear of mesing up, fear of losing your job/medical, fear of the company instantly changing the rules, etc. Einstein said something to the effect that the biggest decision we have in life is whether we live in a friendly or hostile world.

People argue that our contract, or lack there of, could be changed at a whim. It isn't. The ASA folks know about contracts being re-interpreted at the drop of a hat. The company intentionally violates the contract, tells you to grieve it, and then a year and a half later when your grievance suit settles, gives you an extra day off to pay for their crime (if you win!). The railway labor act is a friend of mgmt. and the public, not the pilots.

Now I'll agree that ASA has a hostile relationship between management and the pilots. In fact, if I were still at ASA, I would be an ALPA supporter as much as I wouldn't like it. There, ALPA is better than nothing, and the only thing they have to try and keep a decent quality of life. But if you think that ALPA is going to get you pay beyond the market rate, you are fooling yourself. Regionals are commodities providing a standardized product, and majors will choose them based on cost (and somewhat service although we should all be fairly close-nothing really distinguishes us) If you overprice yourself, i.e. Comair, you will lose in the end.

Mesa is another prime example of why I don't support ALPA. All of the Mesa bashers that fly for ALPA carriers crack me up. Your union represents them, and they are the posterchildren for poor work rules.

I'm not proud nor ashamed of the transfer of ASA's aircraft to SkyWest. That is busisiness, and proof that ALPA isn't really worth 2 percent. The pilot groups are great at both airlines, and I wish ASA the best in their contract negotiations. I wish we were all in this together, but the reality of it is we are not. ALPA wants you to think we are, but without one list, I don't buy it.

ALPA represents the majors, and again, it's just business. 2 percent of a larger salary from a larger pilot group means more money in the ALPA coffers.

Bottom line. If you aren't happy with your situation, it isn't my fault and you should change it. Whether that means getting out of the business or going to a major, do whatever makes you happy.

Last edited:
What happened? I used to tell people here at Horzion how SkyWest mgt. had a little class and made a good looking 30th annv. paint scheme on the 200 after we had the 400 painted up like a clown car for our 25th annv. I agree, the 900 is almost as bad as our clown car.

I'm not proud nor ashamed of the transfer of ASA's aircraft to SkyWest. That is busisiness, and proof that ALPA isn't really worth 2 percent. The pilot groups are great at both airlines, and I wish ASA the best in their contract negotiations. I wish we were all in this together, but the reality of it is we are not. ALPA wants you to think we are, but without one list, I don't buy it.

I was trying to stay out of this thread. I really was. But I just couldn't resist this.

I'm not even going to refute your points, other than to say that I'm ashamed that you were once a colleague of mine.

Hopefully you can step on the backs of a few more of your co-workers so you can upgrade that much quicker.

Grey whats your deal? A couple of weeks ago you were claiming to be a SKW new hire and now your bashing us? What kind of f*cking loser starts threads on FI pretending to be one of the guys to campaign against a pilot group?
Do you ever leave your computer?
Do you ever get laid?
Honestly how many times have you worn your uniform in public on your days off?
Did your friends give you props for starting all those Anti SKW threads pretending to be one of our new hires?
At SKW junior manning is voluntary, whats is the policy at your company? Are you "lowering" the work rule bar

7.5 posts a day???Get a life you f*cking geek.

Last edited:
I personally have been anti-union most of my life, but never worked in or was affected by an industry that had them until I became a pilot. With that said, I don't know where to stand on this topic. I don't understand why people want the aviation business to be so different from any other profession.

I disagree with management gaining at reductions of worker quality of life, but once everyone is properly compensated why can't management make money? That is how businesses are run, they’re a direct reflection of our society; a few get the most. I'm sure I'm going to get nailed for that comment and I do respect the fact that aviation business are by nature different than other industries, but do they have to be run differently?

If you were an accountant or owned an engineering firm wouldn't you set your rates at a point that would make your business as profitable and marketable as possible? As much as we are all one group and I would never wish harm upon somebody else or want their family to be in a position of hurt, aren't we all truly competitors?

Isn't that the reason that there are different companies with different compensation packages and work rules? We all must work under a certain set of restrictions set by the FAA but beyond that it is up to each company to use them to their best advantage. It then becomes our choice as to which place we go to suit our own personal needs best.

I am not advocating lowering the bar or running a business that undercuts another while not being profitable, Mesa or whatever they're called in Hawaii being a prime example. I'm also opposed to management undercutting their current employees by hiring a new set of employees at a more favorable positioning rate, you fill in the rest.

What am I saying is that if a stand alone company chooses to run their company a certain way, why is that so bad? Everyday people are given multiple job offers and the choice isn't always the most money; you need to look at the full package. Whichever company fits you best for all the things that you choose to identify as important is where you need to go.

With all of this said, does our industry still require national unions? Is that in the best interest of everyone involved? I know how much has been done in the past, but the past is past, do we still need to live there? Like I said earlier I'm still trying to figure out my position on it. If I decide I don't like the union and I get in there, I'll plan on paying my money to a charity of my choice. If I figure out we need unions, I'll support 100% of it.

I know some of the issues facing SkyWest go around the fact of benefits, will ALPA get better benefits? If the work rules are good, what will ALPA provide in improvements? Are benefits based on company choices?

Just some questions I have on my quest to understand the topic. I try not to read many of these forums because it all just turns to people b#tching about stuff. If we are all "one" group why do we constantly bash and pick at our brethren who are just trying to make a living and enjoy their job? I know more questions than answers here and that seems to be the status-quo with this topic. Any political topic is bowed to be charged, I just wish we could have a rational conversation on this.

With all the recent problems Skywest Pilots are having with the FAA, keep on thinking that way. How do I know this? One of our former pilots currently is at the FAA and one of my friends just signed on. Speaking to him about it, it sounds pretty serious. I guess your little SAPA sent out a letter saying something to the effect that they're not going to help anybody who screws up anymore along with the Company. As I understand it, ALPA has since gotten involved a little, and have asked the question...."What is the reason for all the problems? Rather than go on a Witch Hunt and violate a bunch of pilots, let's figure out why it's happening and what we can do to fix it, rather than hang pilots out to dry." I'd say that's pretty good insurance to have.....

Trojan

Ya the FAA is serious about the problems, because some of the problems are truly pathetic. FAA in the jump seat and a captain is reading a magazine and talking to approach. Or one better, FAA in the jumpseat and the captain answers his cell phone taxiing out. Then there's the captain that answers his phone on final during a line check but it's okay, it was the FO's leg. And of course there should be protection for the crews that actually departed with out being fueled for their flight and had to divert, 2 with min fuel, 1 with emergency fuel remaining.

Ya, I want ALPA protection for that.

That being said the company and SAPA are helping the pilot's with the FAA, one crew will get a localized letter at the CMO, which will "disapear" in about 12 months.

Last edited:
I was on the maiden flight from YUL. You have to see the plane in person, it really is stunning! The controllers went nuts over it in Burlignton and SLC. Unfortunately, DL has pictched a hissy fit about the paint scheme. Since it will be flying out of ATL who knows how long the paint job will last.

I was on the maiden flight from YUL. You have to see the plane in person, it really is stunning! The controllers went nuts over it in Burlignton and SLC. Unfortunately, DL has pictched a hissy fit about the paint scheme. Since it will be flying out of ATL who knows how long the paint job will last.

I dont understand how they get away with the skywest paint on any of the planes. Many of the aircraft dont even have the name of the mailine partner on them?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back