• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKYW to get more RJ's for Midwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
..... And you will all gladly take the pay cut because they'll throw you a few more airplanes and keep the fast upgrades coming. This is your reward for voting down ALPA

FYI: fast upgrades have stopped on the jet. No classes in the past few months and nothing planned in the foreseeable future. And this midwest flying will not change that.

FYI: fast upgrades have stopped on the jet. No classes in the past few months and nothing planned in the foreseeable future. And this midwest flying will not change that.

Wow, like that sucks, dude. Like that's so not what we came to SkyWest for, dude. Bummin on the upgrade, bro.

Here is something to ponder. Imagine you work at McDonalds. The hourly pay is 9.00/hr. Burger King employees (BKE) are making 10.00/hr doing the equivalent job. Mc Donalds decides to offer their employees more money. However, BKE are telling Mc Donalds employees (MCDE) to turn it down. Yet at the same time, BKE are mad that MCDE are doing the same job for an hourly rate that is less than theirs. McDonalds doesn't have to give there employees anything because their current rates were already agreed upon thru the next three years. Yet, out of good faith and demand for more employees, Mc Donalds decides to offer them more money. If MCDE turn down the raise, do you think Mc Donalds will come back and offer them more later? The only bargaining power MCDE have is that if the extra employees are needed, rates will need to increase. It's the nature of the business.

Now, to throw more into the pot to ponder. Taco Bell is closing their doors where their employees were making less than MCDE. Since job opportunities will be opening at Mc Donalds and MCDE empathize with Taco Bell employees and want to help them as they know they too have family members to feed. MCDE has two choices. Welcome them at a $9.00/hr rate, or agree on the raise that management is offering them and welcome Taco Bell employees with a better chance of making a new start. Wouldn't it be a double slap in the face if MCDE turn down the raise and continue to (per BKE definition) "undercut" other jobs. Instead, they are agreeing on better rates that are more equivalent to other fast food joints instead of staying at a lower rate where they will suffer more ridicule from BKE and other establishments.

Something else to ponder. Hourly rates are not everything. BKE employees are making $10/hr, yet by the end of the year, their W2s are slightly less than MCDE. I know, this has been argued in the past, but I'll give you numbers to justify it. These numbers are only for argument and educational purposes. I know I'll get flamed for this, but I'm just trying to prove a point and educate those that don't fully understand MCDE/SKYW work rules.

I was hired at SKYW in July 2005. From July 2005 thru July 15, 2006 my W2 was $25436.76. This is 12 months pay with no pay in training (technically only 10 months pay).

From July 15, 2006 thru July 15, 2007, my W2 was $63,613.78. The details are as followed for that year.

3 weeks off FMLA in February for surgery (no pay) Captain upgrade in April.
Training pay (FO rates) for 2 months.
Captain pay started May 2007.
Total of 2.5 months Captain pay.

From July 15, 2007 thru 12-31-07, my W2 was $37,622.78.

That would be an equivalent of $82086.06 per year as a 3rd year Captain at SkyWest.

Math = $37,622.78/5.5 months = 6840.50/month

6840.50 X 12 = $82086.06

Also, for what it's worth
781:10 block July 15, 2006 thru July 15, 2007.
Equals $81.40/block hr
(hrly pay was $34.54 (FO) and $60.14(CA))

433:35 block July 16, 2007 thru December 31, 2007.
Equals $86.70/block hr (hrly pay is $60.14)

I am not a checkairman or mgmt. Just an ordinary line pilot who wants to help educate and help those that want to pursue SkyWest as an employment opportunity.

Let me say for the first time that I do sympathize with SkyWay pilots. I'm a CA in MKE and if there is anything I can do to help you get on with us, PM me. I hope these numbers will help you realize that although first year pay is less than descent, it's not as bad as it may seem with our work rules considered. My first year pay was based on $19.02/hr. It's now higher and if we do vote in the new rate, will be 12% higher than that. Upgrade times for MKE dropped as low as 11 months for a while. I upgraded in 1 yr 9 months. If you have any questions or want more info, please don't hesitate to PM me. Good luck guys.

USC328

We're (SkyWest) probably going to get thumped pretty hard when UA/DL merge.

But not for the grace of God go I...

Wow. That is the only response I have to the many, many juvenile, immature and ignorant posts on this thread. Of course, it's just like every other thread here...I wonder why we continually come on these boards and read this stuff. Nobody is convincing each other about anything. It's all just chest-bumping... It's a shame we can't just enjoy our jobs and our love of flying, instead we have to act like 5 year olds with a self-esteem problem.

To all the Skyway guys/gals: My condolences. Everyone I've met there is a class-act. If I can do anything to assist you please let me know!

Wow. That is the only response I have to the many, many juvenile, immature and ignorant posts on this thread. Of course, it's just like every other thread here...I wonder why we continually come on these boards and read this stuff. Nobody is convincing each other about anything. It's all just chest-bumping... It's a shame we can't just enjoy our jobs and our love of flying, instead we have to act like 5 year olds with a self-esteem problem.

To all the Skyway guys/gals: My condolences. Everyone I've met there is a class-act. If I can do anything to assist you please let me know!

So why are you reading it? Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out...

So why are you reading it? Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out...

Trust me with guys like you posting the spew that you do, it's not my first choice. There's only so many websites you can surf while waiting for your flight home before you get bored and log on.

All I'm saying is a little civility from people on this sight would be nice...but I'm not sure you could be civil if someone gave you a million dollars to do it for 5 minutes.

Trust me with guys like you posting the spew that you do, it's not my first choice. There's only so many websites you can surf while waiting for your flight home before you get bored and log on.

All I'm saying is a little civility from people on this sight would be nice...but I'm not sure you could be civil if someone gave you a million dollars to do it for 5 minutes.

Nevermind... SO not worth it.

Pennekamp is only civil when you spout good movie quotes at him. Otherwise, he's just here to bust your balls, get over it.

Latest resources

Back