• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKYW ALPA convert

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
- On another note the company is awarding the backpay for the cancellation pay issue that was brought up, but they are not going to pay it that way in the future. They admitted they did it wrong (ie paying it back to the pilots) but are basically saying that they are going to continue to do it wrong in the future.

Hope that helps for those of you that don't have access to SWOL.

And with this, they are awarding the cnx pay to 57 PIC'S or so. That is nothing compared to the amount of PIC's that are on file due to cancellation pay. They admit they were wrong, yet won't reconcile ALL of them, and won't in the future. And who is the one creating the adversarial relationship?

yes, let's all rush out to vote in ALPA and infect our work environment the it's inherent animosities, distrust, and adversarial positions. that'll show 'em! right guys?! and then, and then we can be like, like.......ummm, let's see...scratching my head here, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

of course there are things at any company that go on that are undesirable to someone. you have to look at what we have overall, and compare it the industry. overall I feel we have it better. If you disagree and feel like you will force the companies hand by voting in ALPA and that we'll walk down some primrose path to better pay, benefits, etc., then I wish you luck. if that happens, then I'll mimic all the crybabies who currently shout 'where are you SAPA?' and 'what are you gonna do SAPA?', but obviously replace 'SAPA' with 'ALPA.'

be careful what you wish for. don't be too anxious to give up what we have at SkyWest for stickers, magazines, etc.

HATERS-LOAD UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I look forward to all the same tired arguments. I'm more interested in results.

yes, let's all rush out to vote in ALPA and infect our work environment the it's inherent animosities, distrust, and adversarial positions. that'll show 'em! right guys?! and then, and then we can be like, like.......ummm, let's see...scratching my head here, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

of course there are things at any company that go on that are undesirable to someone. you have to look at what we have overall, and compare it the industry. overall I feel we have it better. If you disagree and feel like you will force the companies hand by voting in ALPA and that we'll walk down some primrose path to better pay, benefits, etc., then I wish you luck. if that happens, then I'll mimic all the crybabies who currently shout 'where are you SAPA?' and 'what are you gonna do SAPA?', but obviously replace 'SAPA' with 'ALPA.'

be careful what you wish for. don't be too anxious to give up what we have at SkyWest for stickers, magazines, etc.

HATERS-LOAD UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I look forward to all the same tired arguments. I'm more interested in results.

Hey Dude,

Everyone in the industry knows why SKW doesn't have a union. You've been treated and compensated just well enough to keep a union off the property. However, we also know that level of compensation and QOL is based on that attained at union carriers. We also know the rising tide effect at SKW can only last so long.

I personally hope SKW joins ALPA as it would benefit the SKW pilots, ALPA, and all ALPA regional pilots. But I beleive the biggest winner of the three would be the SKW pilots.

Good luck with the union drive, but please don't vote against it just because you don't like stickers.

I am not what you call an ALPA Kool-Aid consumer. Nor do I buy what the company presents either. However, when the company decides they will abide by an agreement even it is the wrong thing to do, how else do get them to abide? At the very least, the union presents an avenue to attain such results. Whereas now you have no real legal course of action to right a wrong.

If the SW group votes in a union, I believe it benefit us all now and in the future. Such a large pilot group helps reach the point where the plumbers and electricians held enough clout to get the job done properly with fair pay. Remember, these guys were the best at what they did. If you wanted something installed right, you got a union guy to come to it. In today's climate, take a look around. People what everything for nothing. Not there is anything wrong with wanting a free ride but there needs to be adequate compensation for the amount of effort put forward by pilots. Most folks don't know we climb into a sim twice a year and practice the worst case deals. The don't know we could lose our jobs at any point if your blood pressure comes back to high.

I am a free market believer..... To a point. If a free market runs wild, you eventually have a monopoly which leads to subrogation of the employee's. Nowhere else to go. It also leads to the consumer getting fleeced. The union has been the counterweight to this sort of stuff. It is not without its shortcomings but there is also much be gained.

- President was asked and refused to sign a confidentiality agreement with the company that would prohibit him from having open communication with the pilot group.
It is not uncommon for ALPA MECs to sign these agreements with management, so I wouldn't get too worked up over that point.

the fact is the company showed their hand. They claimed in court that we had a "contract" under the RLA via our SAPA policy manual, and then in the same week they made a pen stroke change to the manual, even while they agreed that cancellation was paid in the past the way the PIC's said it was, they will no longer pay it that way. This is why we need an actual collective bargaining agreement! You can bet your boots that the guys who run the company have individual employment contracts. Why shouldn't the pilots have a contract? I don't understand why pilots would not want one.
I know there have been a lot of concessions with all airlines in recent history, and a lot of people blame ALPA for these, saying ALPA is not effective anymore, but I say - the pay/benefits that were given up would never have been gained without ALPA, and just imagine what would have been taken away were it not for ALPA.

Two things:

They claimed in court that we had a "contract" under the RLA via our SAPA policy manual, and then in the same week they made a pen stroke change to the manual...
If the policy manual/"contract" says the company can unilaterally change anything in it at any time. How is that a breach of "contract"/manual?

Secondly, the only suprise about this latest message from Mark is that many of you didn't already know that such tom foolery has been standard fair within SAPA for years.

If the policy manual/"contract" says the company can unilaterally change anything in it at any time. How is that a breach of "contract"/manual?

I guess that was kind of my point. The whole idea that our agreement meets the requirements of the RLA is a joke of an argument, just the mere fact that they can change it without our agreement should be enough for the judge. But who knows these days. I have seen many legal decisions go in favor of management vs labor lately that nothing surprises me anymore.

Latest resources

Back