SKYW ALPA convert

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get 'r Done.....

There are a lot of things I like about ALPA. I work for ASA, and have never regretted the fact that it is an ALPA carrier. Here are a few things I feel are important about having a union with ALPA's resources:

Medical-If you have a condition, or take some sort of medication, you can call up their Doc and get the straight answer right then and there-they don't charge a dime for this advice.

Legal-A couple of years ago we had a gear collapse on one of our RJs. Not the fault of the crew at all.... Anyhow, the crew did an excellent job, but had to evacuate the plane. There happened to be some paralegal on board who sprained her ankle getting out. This B-word sued everyone-I mean EVERY ONE in any way involved with the incident. Mechanics, Flight Attendants, Pilots, gate agents, skycaps-you get the picture. I am told that the pilots picked up the phone, called ALPA, and legal help was dispatched immediately-at no cost to the pilots. This sort of help can cost one hell of a lot if you have to pay out of pocket. Not many regional pilots have the kind of resources to defend against silly lawsuits like this, no matter if they have merit or not.

Compliance-Depending on who your management happens to have around, relations can be great (we at ASA had an entire year without a single grievance back when times were good.) Or they can be pure hell. I know that we had a couple of bad apples get into important management positions here a while back, and things got real bad. I firmly believe things would have gotten aeroflot bad without the union to keep these guys from going off the deep end.

After seeing what I have seen here, I will never work for any airline without a good union to keep things in balance.

BTW-When is SKYW going to vote on ALPA?
-Just curious

Heard a rumor that the SAPA meeting canceled by MN(canceled evidentially because MN wanted to clarify the leadership status of SAPA) is back on per ME's instructions. Interesting, don't you think? This is dirty pool...and it needs to stop.

I can tell you that some of the folks on the executive board (VP and Secretary) are and have been self serving for some time now. When I first came to Skywest I was friends with the current VP, Jim B. Over the course of the next several years I would come to find out what type of person he really was. I watched him bounce around to any position he could get where he didnt fly (Interviewer....this is where he really became tight with management, Liason with the UVSC program until that position went away, Sapa, etc). Maybe this isnt the place to talk about this (I bring it up though because I feel a man of no character is more likely to sell out on his peers) but ultimately I was not impressed with his actions when it came to women, him being a married man. I no longer consider him a friend. The best way to describe Jim B. and frankly, David L, Dave A. is "oppertunist". Thats the truth. The secretary, Mike E. was a good guy. When he lost his medical his judgement became clouded. With his back against the wall (ironicaly if ALPA was already on the property and he had loss of license coverage he would have at least had something to live on....but he did not and instead of fighting to help someone in the future in his same position he aimed squarely to get his... acting, selling and doing whatever management who paid his daily living wanted to do.) he sold out. Sad, very sad. These are the facts and they are undisputed to those really familiar with them.

Last edited:
Thats one mistake skyw will regret. That was by far the last straw for me, who do these clowns think they are, and what compensation did they get for stabbing the pilot group in the back? I know I probably wont be on property when the skyw pilot group gets its first contract, but this is no way to represent a pilot group.

Maybe now you're starting to see a small amount of the kind of sh!t that's been going on for far too long??? Those of us that have been around have seen much more...

yes, let's all rush out to vote in ALPA and infect our work environment the it's inherent animosities, distrust, and adversarial positions. that'll show 'em! right guys?! and then, and then we can be like, like.......ummm, let's see...scratching my head here, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

of course there are things at any company that go on that are undesirable to someone. you have to look at what we have overall, and compare it the industry. overall I feel we have it better. If you disagree and feel like you will force the companies hand by voting in ALPA and that we'll walk down some primrose path to better pay, benefits, etc., then I wish you luck. if that happens, then I'll mimic all the crybabies who currently shout 'where are you SAPA?' and 'what are you gonna do SAPA?', but obviously replace 'SAPA' with 'ALPA.'

be careful what you wish for. don't be too anxious to give up what we have at SkyWest for stickers, magazines, etc.

HATERS-LOAD UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I look forward to all the same tired arguments. I'm more interested in results.

You mean results like a whopping 0 or 1% increase for a period of 10 1/2 years with no COLA the whole time?

I can tell you that some of the folks on the exucutive board (VP and Secretary) are and have been self serving for some time now. When I first came to Skywest I was friends with the current VP, Jim B. Over the course of the next several years I would come to find out what type of person he really was. I watched him bounce around to any position he could get where he didnt fly (Interviewer....this is where he really became tight with management, Liason with the UVSC program until that position went away, Sapa, etc). Maybe this isnt the place to talk about this (I bring it up though because I feel a man of no character is more likely to sell out on his peers) but ultimately I was not impressed with his actions when it came to women, him being a married man. I no longer consider him a friend. The best way to describe Jim B. and frankly, David L, Dave A. is "oppertunist". Thats the truth. The secretary, Mike E. was a good guy. When he lost his medical his judgement became clouded. With his back against the wall (ironicaly if ALPA was already on the property and he had loss of license coverage he would have at least had something to live on....but he did not and instead of fighting to help someone in the future in his same position he aimed squarely to get his... acting, selling and doing whatever management who paid his daily living wanted to do.) he sold out. Sad, very sad. These are the facts and they are undisputed to those really familiar with them.

It's really nice to see that at least some of this pilot group know what really goes on!

It's really nice to see that at least some of this pilot group know what really goes on!

Yeah, unfortunately theres always a 1000 new guys "just happy to be here". While we are on the topic of oppertunist lookin to work the system and fly his helicopters on the side, might as well mention Tony F. Him and Jim must have gone to the same sell out training camp.

Yeah, unfortunately theres always a 1000 new guys "just happy to be here". While we are on the topic of oppertunist lookin to work the system and fly his helicopters on the side, might as well mention Tony F. Him and Jim must have gone to the same sell out training camp.

Yeah, sad but true!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back