• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sky West pilots response to mgt

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Things are different when you're not in the top tier of pilots, Skynation.

You RJ guys got your last raise and Brasilia guys got NOTHING. PBS is a disaster for anyone in the bottom 3/4 of the list.

The SAPA company puppets lie to each other for the purposes of having secret meetings/votes without a dissenting voice and you expect them to tell you the truth about anything?

It may be nice for you, but you might consider how your fellow pilots have it. They aren't 'haters', they're just sick of being whipped by the company.

That's very similar to what happens WITH ALPA...

Even with ALPA, things are very different between the top tier of pilots and the bottom tier of pilots....

If you are at Skywest and 30 years or younger, do you like that Skywest continues to go after larger and larger airplanes for less and less pay? If you do, you're SCREWING yourself and your future. A clamp needs to be put on this company, a clamp that is in favor of companies that already fly heavy metal. Not micky mouse jets.

As for the actor guy how are the disney channel shows treating you?

What about those that over 30 and are relatively happy? What about those who think it is better to stay and keep their seniority? Does ALPA care about them?

What about those that over 30 and are relatively happy? What about those who think it is better to stay and keep their seniority? Does ALPA care about them?

You should of moved on a long time ago Joe. Whats sad is the retirement age is about to be raised and you'll still be on these boards crying over spilt milk and staggering in misery. You had the chance. Dont worry i wont be at skywest forever i'll glady give you my spot. I dont expect ALPA to protect my job here, i just hope it prevents skywest from one day getting Airbus and flying them for 50 seat rates. Thats has been an ongoing rumor here for years. Sounds like Skybus to me.

You should of moved on a long time ago Joe. Whats sad is the retirement age is about to be raised and you'll still be on these boards crying over spilt milk and staggering in misery. You had the chance. Dont worry i wont be at skywest forever i'll glady give you my spot. I dont expect ALPA to protect my job here, i just hope it prevents skywest from one day getting Airbus and flying them for 50 seat rates. Thats has been an ongoing rumor here for years. Sounds like Skybus to me.

You're so right.... I should have gone to USAir or United back in 2000..... I would have been so much better off now...... Of course you may not understand the sarcasm there.....

Your answer however confirms my suspicion that ALPA doesn't really care about the regional "lifers".... they are more trouble than they are worth.... At ASA and EGL, ALPA is encouraging the "lifers" to move on.... tells a lot about ALPA.... they don't even understand how that will just contribute to the current downward spiral......

Oh well.......

Last edited:
SkyNation,
do you ever wonder why you are one of a small handful of people defending SGU's every move?

I don't 'defend' them, I simply say that the overall deal we have here is better than elsewhere. and if I'm one of the few on this board, that is just a reflection of this board. It's full of the vocal minority. I don't see that reflected with the pilot group. I see the same whining bunch of malcontents that exist everywhere, in any organization.

Where's the guy who spent his career at SkyWest defending their noble actions?

I flew with many when I was an FO. Many 20 year and more guys. All but one said how glad they were we've stayed ALPA free.

Where are the 30-year employees writing their love sonnets to our management. Why is it, the only people who can ardently defend our management's actions haven't worked at SkyWest very long? Get a clue. We're tired of the same-old rhetoric. If I wanted to hear from Uncle Rico's parrot, I'd
give our SAPA VP a call.

be as pissed as you want. whine, moan, complain, argue, bitch, and carry on. put your best case forward to this pilot group. if they bite off, I'll go along. If they don't will you respond in kind and admit that what ALPA is selling is just not worth buying?

I'm guessing that when the vote fails this bitch fest will continue with any and all aspersions cast on the SW pilot group as being uninformed, naive, lazy, etc.

blah, blah, blah, blah. talk about being tired of the rhetoric. have the stupid vote and let's move on.

And here you say how bad JO is and was, and then in the same breath say that ALPA was totally ineffective.

If you were unhappy with it then why didn't you get involved and try to make it better?

Here's Mesa's problem:
  • It's a lousy airline, where you'll get treated very, very poorly. (you do)
  • ALPA says "You will give us 3% of your gross, and we will TRY and keep things from getting worse." (they can't)
  • As things GET worse, ALPA says "Well, we will fix it in the next contract" (they don't, but they do offer many excuses about how they were "outmaneuvered")
  • If you complain, you get a "Well, what have YOU done for ALPA?" (I paid you $10k you pricks)
  • If you volunteer for ALPA duties, get ready for ALPA backstabbing politics. And you WILL be unappreciated by the membership no matter what you do.
ERGO:

If you want to get treated with dignity and respect, DON'T work for Mesa. If you go anyway, go in with eyes open acknowledging that that 3% is a "pilot tax" that you'll never recover in any way, shape, or form. Because in 10 years, ALPA has been completely powerless at Mesa. Probably longer.

This is MESA . . . remember, YOUR airline ALPA experience may vary.

Last edited:
And as far as ALPA not doing anything for the last 10 years or so, I bet that's not what people were saying in 2000 when UAL and DAL signed their huge contracts.

Of course not. But I guarantee you all the guys who retired wished they had done something a little more far-sighted like, oh,

FUNDING THEIR PENSIONS

ALPA is notoriously short sighted at the legacy carriers. Sure, the top guy gets paid (used to, anyway) $250k to sit on his a$$ and complain, but long term planning and looking out for the bottom of the list never happens. And god help you if you retire . . no one cares about you now.

If ALPA truly cares about pilots, the VERY FIRST THING the pilots at United and DAL will work to restore from their post-BK concessions is the promised pension for the retiree's.

--------->What are the odds that this will happen? (HINT: The answer is "ZERO")

Last edited:
At ASA and EGL, ALPA is encouraging the "lifers" to move on.... tells a lot about ALPA....
From the perspective of someone from the outside looking in...this is something that I would be very worried about. It gives the appearance that ALPA is in management's pocket by pushing along those on the higher end of the payscale.

From the perspective of someone from the outside looking in...this is something that I would be very worried about. It gives the appearance that ALPA is in management's pocket by pushing along those on the higher end of the payscale.

BINGO!..... ALPA and management have BOTH worked to make the regional jobs just stepping stone jobs..... There really isn't much difference between the two in this regard.....

great question. any answer is purely hypothetical, however.

in contrast, where they are today is what it is, and the facts are evident. Mesa pilots have one of the worst, if not the worst, contracts out there. This contract was negotiated for them by ALPA via their MEC, and ALPA approved it.

That is because they are loaded with "GUTLESS" pilots....kind of like yourself! Remember skytard, the PILOT GROUP is what makes your local ALPA. If YOU are weak....hopefully you will have stronger ones to make a difference within your local Union leadership.
Hey...here is a question for you, I know that you are from a former ALPA carrier....what did YOU do to help your leadership? Wait...I'll answer for you....NOTHING! You are gutless!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back