• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sky West Interview Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Even with full spoilers I find it hard to believe he could descend at 12,000fpm without overspeeding. Sounds like an urban legend. Any ERJ guys out there want to comment? In the CRJ if you do much more than 4k, you're bound to overspeed.

Bluto said:
Even with full spoilers I find it hard to believe he could descend at 12,000fpm without overspeeding. Sounds like an urban legend. Any ERJ guys out there want to comment? In the CRJ if you do much more than 4k, you're bound to overspeed.

You can get to about 5500 in the CRJ if you're really light, but even then you're probably going to overspeed if you keep that rate for too long. IF someone got an ERJ to 12,000, the decent probably started at 250kts and ended up at 330kts.

Gutenberg said:
I've heard they ask some tough questions on the interview. For example:

1. How do you know you need clearance to shoot an approach just by looking at the approach plate?

2. When do you use a 3:1 descent?

3. Can you fly IFR in class G? How about at night?

Thanks for any help.

Man, it was a LONG time ago for me when I thought these were 'tough' questions.

Anyway, when I went to work there in 1999, they did ask technical questions.

On #3, the answer depends on where you are coming from. When I interviewed at SkyWest, I was coming from another 121 commuter airline. All 121 airlines prohibit IFR operations in Class G airspace, except for the approach phase. So the answer to #3 was, "it depends on your op. specs, but for us, no". That question is referring to the en-route phase. They will pull out an L-chart and say, can you go direct from this VOR to this VOR at xxx altitude. And the path will pass through "grey" shading, indicating class G airspace. And the answer is "no", you can't fly enroute through Class G airspace.

The approach phase is different. Of course you can start an apporach in Class E airspace at some shi t hole airport that reverts to Class G below 700 or 1200 AGL or whatever. But you definately can NOT fly through class G crusing along at 12000' in the en-route phase.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back