Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gutenberg

I've heard they ask some tough questions on the interview. For example:

1. How do you know you need clearance to shoot an approach just by looking at the approach plate?

2. When do you use a 3:1 descent?

3. Can you fly IFR in class G? How about at night?

Thanks for any help.

Gutenberg said:
I've heard they ask some tough questions on the interview. For example:
1. How do you know you need clearance to shoot an approach just by looking at the approach plate?
2. When do you use a 3:1 descent?
3. Can you fly IFR in class G? How about at night?

Thanks for any help.

1. Don't you always need a clearance?? Perhaps radar vectors only for the approach.

2. Flying a visual approach with no GS (electronic nor visual). Hence, at 5 miles, you would want to be at 1500', 4 miles 1200', 3 miles 900' etc

3. Sure, sure. It's uncontrolled airspace.

Maybe question #1 ties into question #3...you wouldn't need an approach clearence if the entire approach procedure was in uncontrolled airspace.

How you could tell if it was in uncontrolled airspace by looking at the plate I have no idea. Sure would like to know the answer to that one.

~wheelsup

I imagine the question about uncontrolled airspace would be governed by a specific operator's Ops Specs, some can get special authorizations from the admin. to fly in uncontrolled airspace (at least 135 operators can). I have no 121 experience however and am not sure.''

anyways, back to Point Break on spike tv.

wheelsup said:
Maybe question #1 ties into question #3...you wouldn't need an approach clearence if the entire approach procedure was in uncontrolled airspace.

How you could tell if it was in uncontrolled airspace by looking at the plate I have no idea. Sure would like to know the answer to that one.

~wheelsup

Approaches have to be in controlled airspace.

perhaps question 1 implies when the phrase RADAR rREQUIRED is on the approach plate?? As far as approaches into controlled airspace, they may start in controlled airspace, but certainly below the Class E floor of 1200 or 700, its definately uncontrolled

Just because you don't have an ATC RADAR pointing at you doesn't mean the airspace is uncontrolled. Out here in NM/CO/UT/AZ area we hear the phrase "radar contact lost" all the time, but we're still in controlled airspace, on an IFR flight plan.

"RADAR Required" is simply a component of the approach, such as ILS, DME, VOR, or whatever. It's required to shoot the approach.

~wheelsup

Q 2. 3:1 decent profiles are commonly used by regional airline dispatchers ...hence the Top of Decent Psuedo Waypoint that are generated by the FMC...........I have always seen 3:1 decent plans for Eagle and CHQ flight realeases when i worked ops.....this doesnt imply they were followed as I know a very senior Eagle captain on the ERJ that used to come screaming down from FL 270 @ 8-12 k per min...on ord-lnk..no $hit

" If the waitress' at Hooters had skirts any shorter, they would need hair nets."

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back