• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skiles on 3407

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The engine was at toga for a while but nothing was happening except the EGT rising.

The single engine that was still operating was capable of producing no more than idle thrust.

Care to retract your retarded statement?

Nope, the thrust levers were never moved to the TOGA position.........

Read the Airbus Initial Report, oh non-airbus flyin double-breasted sky-god.

:pimp:

You OK making half of what you should be getting paid as a pilot?

Stupid mistakes that were made years ago (albeit with much poorer technology) will continue to be made on a higher and higher incidence level as the race to the bottom continues.

Pay has nothing to do with it. The pay was higher (in real dollars) 30 years ago, and the system is MUCH safer now due to better training, better technology, etc..

People do stupid things regardless of what the pay is. If you want to increase safety, you'll need to do more than throw money at the problem.

Nope, the thrust levers were never moved to the TOGA position.........

Read the Airbus Initial Report, oh non-airbus flyin double-breasted sky-god.

:pimp:

My bad, they were in climb detent and it was non-responsive. Only EGT was rising with no spool response. What on earth would dumping more gas into it would have accomplished?

One of the worst things you can do to a barely surviving engine is screw aroudn with the power setting. You'll go from something that is producing vital electrical and hyd power, to another hunk of useless semi-burning metal. Don't screw with it.

Not to mention the first thing he did when they hit the birds was reach up and crank the APU. The guy was thinking ahead....

With that being said- this non-airbus flyin double-breasted sky-god stands by his original statement.

Last edited:
Pay has nothing to do with it. The pay was higher (in real dollars) 30 years ago, and the system is MUCH safer now due to better training, better technology, etc..

People do stupid things regardless of what the pay is. If you want to increase safety, you'll need to do more than throw money at the problem.

Training and technology has improved drastically thanks in large part to the previous decades of very highly paid employees.... which has offset much of the issues that would ahve been caused by the crap going on this decade.

The only thing they've done this decade is figure out what they can cut without (hopefully) killing too many people... we'll see if it continues to play out.

Dramatic outsourcing without investing properly in infrastructure works great- just ask Boeing!

Increasing pay to attract a more competitive pool for pilots never hurts. I'd rather have a well educated, well screened pilot than someone who's mom and dad forked out 100 grand at some pilot mill program with an RJ transition- how about you?

Increasing pay to attract a more competitive pool for pilots never hurts. I'd rather have a well educated, well screened pilot than someone who's mom and dad forked out 100 grand at some pilot mill program with an RJ transition- how about you?

That argument would hold more water if the highly experienced "Sky Gods" would quit landing on taxiways at night and overflying their destination by hundreds of miles....

That argument would hold more water if the highly experienced "Sky Gods" would quit landing on taxiways at night and overflying their destination by hundreds of miles....

I'll give you the overflight, however the taxiway situation...well- there's a lot more to that. Let the investigation come out.

Oh.... I forgot. How many people died in those two examples? Injuries? People that even realized something happened?

I don't have those numbers, do you?

Last edited:
The marco problem is we live in a market/commodity society. The only way we know how to fix this "pilot experience" problem is money. Why money? Because that is all we value.

If we had established other values besides money, as a democracy we could address them much better....

Mind blowing, I know....

Pilots bashing pilots. Nothing changes. Who needs management to drive a stake through the heart of solidarity. The same greed and selfishness that brought you age 65 makes a public spectacle that shows the traveling public that flying is based on luck, not skill.

Auto-throttles could have prevented Colgan 3407, and would be cheaper than giving pilots raises.

I'll give you the overflight, however the taxiway situation...well- there's a lot more to that. Let the investigation come out.

Oh.... I forgot. How many people died in those two examples? Injuries? People that even realized something happened?

I don't have those numbers, do you?

In the ATL example, the only reason there wasn't a death was due to luck. Someone easily could have taxied onto the taxiway into their path.

Latest resources

Back