• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skiles on 3407

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And to repeat it. Nobody died because they were lucky, NOT good.

Absolutely.

I didn't present my point earlier very well at all. My issue is guys are justifying the terrible pay and working conditions with "we're just as good as you are!"

My issue is not that- there are many many absolutely fantastic pilots at the regionals. The issue is that if they are promoted as the exact same level of safety and all other attributes of measure, then why pay any FO more than 30 or 40,000 or any CA over 70-100?

It's rediculous and that has to be changed. The overall mgmt structure at regionals is whatever it takes to save a penny...

Read my previous rant for further thoughts on the subject. :)

Peanuckle out....

Absolutely.

I didn't present my point earlier very well at all. My issue is guys are justifying the terrible pay and working conditions with "we're just as good as you are!"

My issue is not that- there are many many absolutely fantastic pilots at the regionals. The issue is that if they are promoted as the exact same level of safety and all other attributes of measure, then why pay any FO more than 30 or 40,000 or any CA over 70-100?

It's rediculous and that has to be changed. The overall mgmt structure at regionals is whatever it takes to save a penny...

Read my previous rant for further thoughts on the subject. :)

Peanuckle out....

Wasn't what I was getting at. It seems perfectly acceptable here (and other places) to say that "hey, at least NOBODY was killed, so what they did wasn't bad, just forget about it". Whether talking about the DAL north or south incident.

Sorry, but that's just a bullsh1t argument. Again, they didn't kill anybody because they were lucky, NOT good. Competent/experienced aviators can kill people just as fast and just as good and those that aren't. What would you say about AA in Colombia? Were they really substandard and it FINALLY caught up to them?

If a plane was on the taxi way, or pulled out onto that taxi way, what would be the argument? I can see it now;

"Well, they were experienced major airline pilots, wasn't their fault somebody was on the taxi way"

Wasn't what I was getting at. It seems perfectly acceptable here (and other places) to say that "hey, at least NOBODY was killed, so what they did wasn't bad, just forget about it". Whether talking about the DAL north or south incident.

Sorry, but that's just a bullsh1t argument. Again, they didn't kill anybody because they were lucky, NOT good. Competent/experienced aviators can kill people just as fast and just as good and those that aren't. What would you say about AA in Colombia? Were they really substandard and it FINALLY caught up to them?

If a plane was on the taxi way, or pulled out onto that taxi way, what would be the argument? I can see it now;

"Well, they were experienced major airline pilots, wasn't their fault somebody was on the taxi way"

Made a few rediculous logical jumps and put some words into my mouth...

The cali guys got in what is now the classic rush to save a few minutes. We have strict procedures now to ensure otherwise in mountainous errors as well as training in regards to FMS waypoint lat/long suggestions. You've seen it yourself in FMS groundschool as a result.

Don't become part of a training video....

Like i said, I didn't mean to make a point of "at least nobody was killed."

My issues are what I stated above. You happy with your outsourced wages and living situation?

Made a few rediculous logical jumps and put some words into my mouth...

Gear down there big shifter, I NEVER put ANY words in YOUR mouth. Just said I'm tired of that argument.

The cali guys got in what is now the classic rush to save a few minutes. We have strict procedures now to ensure otherwise in mountainous errors as well as training in regards to FMS waypoint lat/long suggestions. You've seen it yourself in FMS groundschool as a result.

Strange, this sounds eerily familiar to somebody else on another forum, but OK, we can go with this one. The AA guys got into trouble because of a lengthy error chain. And are you telling me that in the history of FMS aircraft, there was NEVER a verify/crosscheck procedure in place BEFORE the AA wreck? For some reason, I doubt it.

Don't become part of a training video....

Don't intend to.

Like i said, I didn't mean to make a point of "at least nobody was killed."

Go back and reread your posts.

You happy with your outsourced wages and living situation?

Nope, never said I was. How many concessions you been through? I voted NO on all four I've had to take, how many you been trough?

As soon as the first chance to get out comes, I'm going. Getting into this pre 9/11 and going though multiple displacements, a furlough, etc, hasn't helped.

How much of that did you get to experience before going to DAL?

Gear down there big shifter, I NEVER put ANY words in YOUR mouth. Just said I'm tired of that argument.

Strange, this sounds eerily familiar to somebody else on another forum, but OK, we can go with this one. The AA guys got into trouble because of a lengthy error chain. And are you telling me that in the history of FMS aircraft, there was NEVER a verify/crosscheck procedure in place BEFORE the AA wreck? For some reason, I doubt it.

Don't intend to.

Nope, never said I was. How many concessions you been through? I voted NO on all four I've had to take, how many you been trough?

As soon as the first chance to get out comes, I'm going. Getting into this pre 9/11 and going though multiple displacements, a furlough, etc, hasn't helped.

1. Thanks, gear down. Can i put anything in the trash bag for you?

2. what other forum? There is always a lengthy error chain, the big issues were being rushed and then selecting the first waypoint at the top of the screen. Smart guys verified it.... some others, well in this case snagged a mountain. Max power, spoilers in....

4ish- Like i said, I was trying to make a point but it was blown.

5 and so on- I haven't- ended up being lucky and bought low, as far as my career is concerned. Grown up around this industry and my motive is to make it better and with better pay than before. Displacements suck, furloughs suck worse. Good luck getting out.... now is the time. You'll be buying low.

I'm going to try to make this a better place for a career.

2. what other forum? There is always a lengthy error chain, the big issues were being rushed and then selecting the first waypoint at the top of the screen. Smart guys verified it.... some others, well in this case snagged a mountain. Max power, spoilers in....

So know you're saying "they were trying to save time" to agreeing there was an long error chain?

4ish- Like i said, I was trying to make a point but it was blown.

And you were doing it poorly, just like trying to say that nobody got killed on the taxi way, so it's really no big deal. Really? You've been through "4ish" in your time at Pinnacle/DAL?

5 and so on- I haven't- ended up being lucky

Not everybody does. It's like these examples, some are lucky, and it's always good to be lucky.

and bought low, as far as my career is concerned. Grown up around this industry and my motive is to make it better and with better pay than before. Displacements suck, furloughs suck worse. Good luck getting out.... now is the time. You'll be buying low.

I'm going to try to make this a better place for a career.

If you're trying to make the industry better, why go to work at Pinnacle? I could have gone there when I got F'd from my last job, no freaking way, not with that CBA.

There is no monpoly on stupidtiy, complancency, lack of professionalism or negligance at any level of aviation. I have been involved in military and commercial aviation since 1979 and can say this with all sincerity and accuracy. The events of USAir on the Hudson and CJC 3407 in Buffalo are linked because of the timing of both events falling so close together.

Well said. In our business, a pilot can do everything right and still die. Others can screw up and still live. Not bashing, but comparing, the Colgan crew is being slammed for breaking sterile cockpit. The Cactus crew did the same. Why aren't they slammed too? Obviously because everybody lived.

As pilots we know that we can save a passenger's life 10 times over on a flight but if we bang it in on landing, we're a lousy pilot in their eyes. We can almost kill them 10 times over on a flight out but if we grease it on, we're the next Chuck Yeager as far as they are concerned.

Despite all the hoopla, the good news is that informed people really are helping make positive changes. We should ignore the public dog and pony shows and see what actually changes in the regs and our procedures.

Well said. In our business, a pilot can do everything right and still die. Others can screw up and still live. Not bashing, but comparing, the Colgan crew is being slammed for breaking sterile cockpit. The Cactus crew did the same. Why aren't they slammed too? Obviously because everybody lived.

The Colgan guys barely broke sterile. There was nothin wrong with their conversation.

It was the poor airmanship that deserves the harsh criticism.

Don't intend to.

This site should really change it's name to pissed off RJ drivers who just want to b!tch at everyone and disagree with everything anyone says unless they too are lamenting about their crappy situation in life.

Sucks you got hired when you did and weren't able to make anything of it in 9 years, while many others did. Quit crying about it and make your situation better.

Sadly, very sadly it was basic airmanship and vigilance that conspired to bring 3407 to it's demise. The sky even more so than the sea is very unforgiving of any mistakes, errors in judgment and even worse contempt. Instincts honed in flying basic airplanes also played a role, and will continue to rear it's ugly head as we march further into the world of automation. Nature doesn't know or care about what FMS model is on board the airplane, or what autoland capability. We as a profession need to demand that we recieve and are required to practice and demonstrate basic airmanship. Ultimately, when things go bad it is all that can get us out of a tight spot.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Latest resources

Back