• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skiles on 3407

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll give you the overflight, however the taxiway situation...well- there's a lot more to that. Let the investigation come out.

Oh.... I forgot. How many people died in those two examples? Injuries? People that even realized something happened?

I don't have those numbers, do you?
please tell us you're not going to try to say there is ANY reasonable explanation or excuse for landing on a taxiway.......at the "wrong" time of any day in ATL, there could easily have been HUNDREDS.....

"people that even realized something happened?"....seriously?...oh yeah, nobody realized that only by chance did their plane not land on the "money line" so its all good...no knowledge, no foul....man, thats a hell of a defense.

Pilots bashing pilots. Nothing changes. Who needs management to drive a stake through the heart of solidarity. The same greed and selfishness that brought you age 65 makes a public spectacle that shows the traveling public that flying is based on luck, not skill.

Right you are Yoda.

I'll give you the overflight, however the taxiway situation...well- there's a lot more to that.

No there isn't they landed on a taxiway. Someone could have pulled in while they were going 120 on bravo echo. The faa needs to change regs so that pilots look both ways even when taxing taxiways because there could be a 777 touching down.

An experienced pilot might have pushed the throttles on his A320 to TOGA, thus getting some extra thrust out of his 1 engine running at idle thrust........instead of putting said airplane in the Hudson to prove that sh!t floats!!

:cool:

It thought by design that the Airbus FBW system didn't allow the engines to go to TOGA thrust when the computers found a FODed engine?

With an engine FODed and no mechanical linkage then the engine(s) roll back to an engine idle setting. A non-Airbus (read Boeing) does have the mechanical linkage and thus allows ANY available power to be pulled from the engine.

Is this info different???

Oh.... I forgot. How many people died in those two examples? Injuries? People that even realized something happened?

None, but any professional pilot who doesn't see the danger of landing on a taxi and colliding with a vehicle or other aircraft or the inherent fuel issue caused by overflying the destination by an hour should reexamine their understanding of the situation.

The fact there were no injuries wasn't skill, it was luck.

I'll give you the overflight, however the taxiway situation...well- there's a lot more to that. Let the investigation come out.

The only reason nobody died was because nobody was taxing out on Mike...There is no excuse for what they did...

There is no monpoly on stupidtiy, complancency, lack of professionalism or negligance at any level of aviation. I have been involved in military and commercial aviation since 1979 and can say this with all sincerity and accuracy. The events of USAir on the Hudson and CJC 3407 in Buffalo are linked because of the timing of both events falling so close together.
Aviation is full of stories that are both equally as tragic as they are heroic. As a professional aviator I have a high amount of respect for the USAir crew. I do however, take some exception to their remarks on the level of proficiency at the regional airline level. If they had first-hand knowledge of the "dirty-little-secret" that is "single-level-of-safety", why did they wait until February 12, 2009 to speak out?
How can the FAA, ICAO, DoT and all the other agencies invloved with airline safety have not recognized that there was a problem with crew training, proficiency, hiring practices, etc...? Simply because of the financial pressures within the airline industry to maintain the status quo (cost vs. benefit analysis). The pilots of the so-called "majors" have thrown everyone else under the bus for their own self-serving reasons and will continue to do so. Doesn't make any of them bad people, it is just the reality of working in a highly competitive industry that has very few opportunities to advance into the higher paying positions.
I am at a loss as to how to solve the daunting problems facing the airline profession. It simply isn't the profession that it once was, and perhaps the "golden age" of aviaiton has long passed me by. I will say that there are a number of damned good "regional" airline pilots out there that can fly the heck out of an airplane, are very professional and deserve SO MUCH more from there "major" airline "brothers and sisters.

Rant complete...

The only reason nobody died was because nobody was taxing out on Mike...There is no excuse for what they did...

Turns out through ASAP that there have been numerous other landing attempts on M in similar lighting conditions in the preceding months (having to do with the green centerline lights being brighter htan the runway lights and appearing more white than green from a distance off, 2 stripes of lighter concrete 1000 feet down the taxiway, and the PAPI being on the right side of 27R).... all of the previous occurences recognized the issue and corrected. Add in the serious fatigue and pressure in DAL60, and they accidentally brought the landing to completion.

Last edited:
There is no monpoly on stupidtiy, complancency, lack of professionalism or negligance at any level of aviation. I have been involved in military and commercial aviation since 1979 and can say this with all sincerity and accuracy. The events of USAir on the Hudson and CJC 3407 in Buffalo are linked because of the timing of both events falling so close together.
Aviation is full of stories that are both equally as tragic as they are heroic. As a professional aviator I have a high amount of respect for the USAir crew. I do however, take some exception to their remarks on the level of proficiency at the regional airline level. If they had first-hand knowledge of the "dirty-little-secret" that is "single-level-of-safety", why did they wait until February 12, 2009 to speak out?
How can the FAA, ICAO, DoT and all the other agencies invloved with airline safety have not recognized that there was a problem with crew training, proficiency, hiring practices, etc...? Simply because of the financial pressures within the airline industry to maintain the status quo (cost vs. benefit analysis). The pilots of the so-called "majors" have thrown everyone else under the bus for their own self-serving reasons and will continue to do so. Doesn't make any of them bad people, it is just the reality of working in a highly competitive industry that has very few opportunities to advance into the higher paying positions.
I am at a loss as to how to solve the daunting problems facing the airline profession. It simply isn't the profession that it once was, and perhaps the "golden age" of aviaiton has long passed me by. I will say that there are a number of damned good "regional" airline pilots out there that can fly the heck out of an airplane, are very professional and deserve SO MUCH more from there "major" airline "brothers and sisters.

Rant complete...

I agree- stupid pilot tricks occur at every carrier and every experience level.

The CJC and USair events did come at a very appropriate time to highlight the severe cuts and race to the lowest common denominator which has been occuring in this decade.

The dirty little secret certainly is there- ASA and the higher end regionals are exceptions to this, but the likes of Pinnacle, Colgan, Mesa... you name it, and there is one primary goal in that operation: train to check off the boxes and hopefully we havent cut enough corners to where someone dies.

The race to the bottom on pay and continual downpressure from outsourcing taken to the extreme is terrible and highly detrimental to safety...which will continue to rear it's ugly head.

I'm honestly surprised we don't have more pilots signing in drunk after all the cuts this decade.

The question is- where to we start? How do we begin reeling in the bottom? The 1500 hour rule does have an effect on experience (think about how much of a better pilot you were from 500 hours to 1500 hours, even just grinding it out as a CFI)- but it has more of an effect on supply. Reduced supply....well, you know.

There are many other steps that need to be taken- the mainline carriers need to reel in their outsourcing, and the mainline unions need to grow a pair of brass clangers and put the pressure on.

It's going to be a very long process getting the camel out of the tent.

Stupid pilot tricks will always happen- the key is keeping the frequency to a bare minimum and trying to ensure that they are of a benign nature.

As I said earlier, due to all the cuts- the only real training breakthroughs this decade have been learning how to check off the fewest boxes possible with the least amount of bent metal possible. That trend has to be reversed.

Turns out through ASAP that there have been numerous other landing attempts on M in similar lighting conditions in the preceding months (having to do with the green centerline lights being brighter htan the runway lights and appearing more white than green from a distance off, 2 stripes of lighter concrete 1000 feet down the taxiway, and the PAPI being on the right side of 27R).... all of the previous occurences recognized the issue and corrected. Add in the serious fatigue and pressure in DAL60, and they accidentally brought the landing to completion.

And to repeat it. Nobody died because they were lucky, NOT good.

Latest resources

Back