Single engine Turbine VS twin piston time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
seethru said:
Goose Egg beat me to the follow-up question, which is similar.

I fly a 414 as PIC under Part 91 for a private individual. I have approximately 250 hrs multi (150 of that is 414). I work strictly part time.

Eventually I would like to move into the right seat of a jet, again strictly part time. Probably would remain Part 91.

Should I start beating the bushes for some turbo-prop time, or should I continue building the 414 time, which I know is also very valuable.

I guess my real question is this: Is it possible to move from a piston twin to SIC in a light biz jet without necessarily building turbo-prop time as well?

Thanks

I personally know several pilots who have moved from piston twin straight into a biz jet. Netjets particularly for a while seemed to love Cape Air guys. (Not that I'm recommending NJ...) Certainly doable. It's all about who you know, not what you know, ya know?

ackattacker said:
I personally know several pilots who have moved from piston twin straight into a biz jet. Netjets particularly for a while seemed to love Cape Air guys. (Not that I'm recommending NJ...) Certainly doable. It's all about who you know, not what you know, ya know?

Good to know! I think I see a plan developing here.

-Goose

Wasn't there one fatality?

ackattacker said:
Cape Air does their 402 training, recurrent training, and check rides in the actual airplane, at no small expense. I guess that's not as good as a level D sim? I guess simuflight is better qualified to teach company procedures than 16 year veteran line captains with 10,000+ hours in type? I guess Cape Air must be unsafe... tell that to the 500,000+ passengers they transport EVERY YEAR without a single fatality in the 16 year history of the company... 9 at a time.

I don't want to slander Cape Air, in fact I flew 812AN and 818AN before Cape Air bought them, and they seem like a quality operation, but didn't a pilot crash in a C402 around BOS while flying solo for Cape Air? I seem to remember this happening while I was based in Boston.

ackattacker said:
That being said, I didn't mean to denigrate ALL Caravan operators. It is true that I don't really know much about them as a whole. But I've yet to run into a Caravan pilot with as much loyality to his company as Cape Air pilots generally have.
Well, sometime we'll have to go out for a tall cold one, then you'll be able to say you ran into a loyal Caravan flying employee. :D

We're the red headed step child and the best kept secret...but we just got feeder of the year, so we must be doing something right.

Eagle-ista said:
I don't want to slander Cape Air, in fact I flew 812AN and 818AN before Cape Air bought them, and they seem like a quality operation, but didn't a pilot crash in a C402 around BOS while flying solo for Cape Air? I seem to remember this happening while I was based in Boston.

Yeah, wake turbulence on takeoff from a 737 rolled him upside down (the Cape Air pilot took an intersection departure). But he walked away from it.

Another Cape Air flight went down in MVY doing an ILS down to mins with strong windshear and turbulence on final. Both pilot and passenger were seriously injured, the pilot with significant burns.

A few other incidents... a pilot once passed out and a passenger landed the plane safely in PVC (with the gear up).

Still... no fatalities (knock on wood).

Latest resources

Back