Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crisd2007

Hi Fellows,
I need an expert advice from pilots that are currently or had been with the airlines please. I've been offered an interviews with two different outfits. One uses Cessna 208B Caravans (SE Turbine) and the other Cessna 402s (ME Piston). I'm considering a future with the majors. So which flight time will look good on my logbook and to the airlines. Thanks for any expert opinion.

With a total time of 1373 you should be looking to increase your multi-time. Most regional airlines are looking to hire pilots with 1000-1500 total time minimum and 100-300 multi time minimum. If I were in your shoes I'd take the 402 and start sending off resumes to the regional carriers that I REALLY want to work for. Don't settle for your last choice, update your resume every 2 or 3 months until the phone calls start rolling in. Turbine time is a plus, however not required. Same with a degree. Now the MAJOR airlines are a different story, but you'll worry about that in 5+ years.

I would try to get 500-750 of piston twin time then go to the Caravan.

If you get laid off, you can go just about any regional with 500-750 of twin time (esp 135 time) and get at least an interview.

D'oh! I'm in the Caravan!!! D**n your evil, black heart, Caravan!! :)

crisd2007 said:
Hi Fellows,
I need an expert advice from pilots that are currently or had been with the airlines please. I've been offered an interviews with two different outfits. One uses Cessna 208B Caravans (SE Turbine) and the other Cessna 402s (ME Piston). I'm considering a future with the majors. So which flight time will look good on my logbook and to the airlines. Thanks for any expert opinion.
From a time building pov...I'd say take the multi time, especially if you don't have any.

Cape Air is both 135 and 121... if you're flying the 402 its scheduled 135.

Oh, I agree, go for the ME time. Neither 402 time nor caravan time is really going to get you on with a major (you need ME turbine PIC, preferrably over 20,000lbs gross)... but the 402 time will help a lot more.

Plus if it is Cape Air you're talking about then it's a much more reputable company than any Caravan operator i've heard about.

Latest resources

Back