Single engine Turbine VS twin piston time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ackattacker said:
Plus if it is Cape Air you're talking about then it's a much more reputable company than any Caravan operator i've heard about.

Then you must not have heard about much, then?

Do they send their pilots to Level D sim training for their initial training, recurrent training and check rides? No?...din't think so.

Hi Fellows,
First, I would like to thank everyone for chipping-in with there expert advice and opinions. I valued them all. The 402s is Bimini Air actually and the Caravan is located in Hawaii. After carefull considerations and weighing all my options I decided to go for the Caravans. Yes I am going against the grain here fellows but I'm still single, mobile and kind of partial to white sands and exotic islands. Besides I can always boost my multi from 141 currently to 200+ down the road. I figured work there for a year then apply for Cathay. Aloha to everyone.

As a means to an end, if you are sure you want to angle for the gold at the end of the rainbow, then go for some low pay and poor conditions (the low end of the aviation scale is like that) with the idea that someday you'll be well compensated. That percentage of bright young pilots that realize this improved level is a small percentage when compared to the majority of operations in aviation. The prevailing attitude is one of "this is an intership" or "you're not taking this job to stay here." Very few professions have such a poor treatment of those who are the next leaders. Even a medical intern has a fixed amount of time for their abuse, and after that, they are in a good position for success.

I miss the fun of flying the airplane, but friend, that's ALL I miss. I just re-upped my instructor certs, and I may have a part-time job teaching folks how to fly when I'm not selling homes. I wholeheartedly recommend that you have a great job and a great life and have a plane to fly in your leisure time, as opposed to having an expectation of enjoying flying employment. FYI.

Your answer: the multi time will help you more.

Oh, yes. Hello, everyone! Hope you've all been well. :D

I wish you had told us who you were going to work for, not just the plane.

The 402 in Bimini was the way to go. PIC twin time is the way to go for a few reasons.

1) ME PIC time at this point in your career is very valuable. It is more complicated to fly a twin recip in a charter operation than a single engline turbine.

2) The only operator of Caravans that I know that would hire you with the time you have is Air Nevada, dba as, well, I'd rather not slander them here.

3) For what you will be getting paid, you will find it much easier to live in South Florida compared to Maui. Also, you won't be considered a haole.

4) Wherever you live now, it's easier to get there from Florida than Hawai'i, unless you have a really nice boat.

I hope you enjoy the experience in Hawai'i, make the best of it, but make sure you have an exit strategy. Good luck.

Hey all,

Related question: How would all that 402 multi recip PIC look if I wanted to follow on with a good corporate job? Would it matter if I wasn't typed or had any turbine PIC? Would someone still buy me a type?

-Goose

Goose Egg beat me to the follow-up question, which is similar.

I fly a 414 as PIC under Part 91 for a private individual. I have approximately 250 hrs multi (150 of that is 414). I work strictly part time.

Eventually I would like to move into the right seat of a jet, again strictly part time. Probably would remain Part 91.

Should I start beating the bushes for some turbo-prop time, or should I continue building the 414 time, which I know is also very valuable.

I guess my real question is this: Is it possible to move from a piston twin to SIC in a light biz jet without necessarily building turbo-prop time as well?

Thanks

Eagle-ista is right. I would have gone to Bimini because they also have turbine equipment you can transition to later on.

Pacific Wings in Maui... oh brother. Well, let me put it this way, you'll get the flight time, you'll get turbine PIC time. For example, SWA for example doesn't care as long as it's turbine PIC. In other words, at SWA, having 1,000 PIC in Caravans meets the requirements, while 1,000 hours of FO time in B737NG doesn't mean a thing to them.
The owner of Pacific Wings is a strange fellow, but keep your nose clean, and enjoy Maui. I'd take Maui over Oahu any day of the week.

FN FAL said:
Then you must not have heard about much, then?

Do they send their pilots to Level D sim training for their initial training, recurrent training and check rides? No?...din't think so.

You know the answer to this question... of course not. There is no level D C402 sim in existance. Cape Air does their 402 training, recurrent training, and check rides in the actual airplane, at no small expense. I guess that's not as good as a level D sim? I guess simuflight is better qualified to teach company procedures than 16 year veteran line captains with 10,000+ hours in type? I guess Cape Air must be unsafe... tell that to the 500,000+ passengers they transport EVERY YEAR without a single fatality in the 16 year history of the company... 9 at a time. Show me a Caravan operator with that record. Plenty of "Level D" trained Caravan pilots have become smoking holes in the ground.

That being said, I didn't mean to denigrate ALL Caravan operators. It is true that I don't really know much about them as a whole. But I've yet to run into a Caravan pilot with as much loyality to his company as Cape Air pilots generally have.

There's a lot more that makes a company "reputable" more than footing the bill for training. The poster asked for general advice, and I gave it. Comments made on this thread about a specific Caravan operator seem to bolster my point.

Latest resources

Back