Single Engine Over The Great Lakes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did it, Liked it, Would do it again.

The other side of that story is that I went across from GRB to TVC it a turbo saratoga at FL190. As far as dumb things I have done. . . there is a list of those and it's too long. One multiple-leg-overwater-trip I took was delivering a Piper Brave to Durados, Mato Groso Del Sol, Brazil. The over-water island hopping wasn't so bad, but the 10+ hour leg from St. Maarten to Manaus with about 4 hours over the Amazon: now that's fun! (read: not overly experienced pilot doing something he would never do again)

The best way to make this decision is to picture yourself having a problem, then picture yourself telling the story 30 years from now (should you be successful and still alive), and be able to end the story without saying "man, I wish I hadn't done that".

My advise would be: if it doesn't have two engines, one of which can maintain an MEA/MRA/personal safe altitude, take a boat or fly around it. The human body is something like 75% water: don't make it 100. Good luck and be safe.

Kevin

Shoreline route

When I went to Toronto from LNN (east of CLE) in a Scarytoga we went via BUF and YHM. V14 runs right up the shoreline, and we got a spectacular view of the Falls as we were departing north from BUF. Well worth it in my eyes to fly the Shoreline route for safety and the great view.
Keep in mind that if Toronto Island is your final destination, they are NOT an airport of entry. You'll have to stop at YHM or somewhere else...not sure if I'd want to pay the incredible landing and handling fees at YYZ just to clear Customs in a 172. YHM was quick and very easy.

Well according to a pervious poster the over water distance is 26nm, that's a 13nm halfway point.

If you can nurse the C172 up to 10,000 AGL, it will give you about 15nm glide distance. That gives you some wiggle room, just remember to bring the life jacket.

It's a matter of personal risk tolerance. The only way to completely eliminate the dangers of flying is to not fly. If you do fly you have to accept (or ignore) the risks. One of the risks is that the engine could fail. This is a serious problem over land or water.

Re: IFR Flight Plan

Delta3 said:
ProLine4-

I'm planning to leave from BKL, did you file an IFR flightplan to YHM?

Yeah, we went IFR. If you're still without an instrument rating, no big deal, just treat it like a normal XC...as long as you've made the proper calls ahead of time, have an aircraft that has complete mx logs and a customs sticker, etc, it will be a fun trip and a good challenge for you. Same goes for coming back stateside and clearing US Customs at BUF...although we had to sit in the airplane for 20 min at Prior before the Customs agent showed up to release us. Just like when you drive up instead of fly, it's harder to get into Canada than it is to return back to the US.

My advice would be to find someone at BKL that's done the trip before just to review that you've covered all the fine details. Enjoy the trip and have fun.

I grew up in Colombia flying in Vaupes over the Amazon jungle, I feel very comfortable over the jungle. On-the-other hand everytime I fly to KEF I look down and see that cold water---BRRR glad I am in a jet. Cheers.

P.S. The snakes in the jungle arn't bad, the everglades now that is another story.

If you are flying over Erie during the summer months then I wouldn't sweat it because there are boats everywhere and you will be rescued very quickly. You wont die within 5 minutes like Turbo said. In the winter, when the water is cold, then that is a totally different story.

Have Fun

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back