• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Single Engine Over The Great Lakes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ill second the post on flying night over the glades s/e. I did it a few times while living in DAB. We flew 172's, Grummans, 150's and pa28 down to the keys all the time. Miami never liked us flying through there airspace unless we had to.

I would rather be over the ocean s/e then the glades....after seeing what was left of valujet, it didnt look all that nice.

the plane would be gone in the ocean too but i can swim in the ocean, the glades, well id be swallowed up by a gator in no time.

I fly a C210 over the everglades every night, twice: between ORL and FXE and OPF and TPA. And I fly the same C210 to minimums at night on a regular basis and I think it is very safe. Maybe not as safe as a twin, but I am still not worried to the point where I am on the edge of my seat. If you prepare yourself for the flight of the Great Lakes, I would say go for it, and make sure you come back the same way. Just make sure the airplane runs good and is well maintained. Remember: Safety is the management of acceptable risk!

A story I once heard....

One of PRO AV8R 's Flight Express predessors did have to make a forced landing in the glades. He was so worried about the gaters that he set his C-210 ablaze to keep them away.

I havent heard that story yet, but in a way its kind of funny. I am guessing the guy made it through the ordeal with no bites. He is probably lucky he didnt set himself ablaze in the process.

Over water in a single?

This is an interesting topic, and I've got to throw in my opinion... even if nobody wants to hear it.

Call me stupid or incredibly lucky, but I have a lot of faith in the airplanes I fly. And believe me, I have had my share of MAJOR emergencies and abnormalities! But would I hesitate to fly over Lake Erie in a C172? No. Would I do it IFR? yes. Would I do it in very low IFR? Probably so. And I would take it directly over the lake as well.

Planning and taking precautions are things that smart people do, but there is such a thing as taking precaution beyond a level that is prudent. I have flown several trips across Lake Michigan and Lake Huron with no trouble at all. I've even taken the little single FAR out over the Atlantic Ocean and have never regreted a minute of it; so pick the highest possible altitude that will give you acceptable aircraft performance and also give you a little bit more time to try and correct a situation should an emergency occur... take the advice of the other guys on the forum by taking along adequate floatation devices and equipment... and for god sakes, be careful out there. I always do a double take when I was headed for an extended over-water leg. Be sure that your airplane is preforming adequately and expectedly... with proper planning and preflight precaution, an extended over-water leg can be very rewarding, and a boost to your knowledge and experience as well.

I have to agree with underdog too,

I have flown the Cayman Caravan 3 times and spent a month island hopping in the Bahamas and Virgin Islands in my R182.

Living in Chicago and traveling to my cottage in Michigan has produced countless trips over Lake Michigan, no biggy.

So whats going to happen in the unlikely event I lose an engine over water? I'll hit it at 45mph, so what, I can run half that fast.:D

We only lost one plane in the Caravan and it was a 210, she was picked-up right away and no worse for wear.

I would much rather lose an engine over water than the south side of Chicago or any other congested side for that matter. If you come to the dance prepared the only thing you might lose is the airplane, even that's replacable.

Flying is risky, we minimize the risk a number of ways; personal minimums, recurrent training, etc. If the aircraft is in good shape and you are familiar with it, get as high as you can, take a few items that float, and spend some quality time blindfolded in that aircraft figuring out how to open doors and undo seat belts when you can't see them. Went to Oklahoma City last fall for the physiology and survival courses offered by the FAA. Part of the survival was an underwater egress. I feel very confident about my ability to exit an aircraft underwater and in the dark should I need to. In a nutshell: Let your hand slide down your shoulderstrap to the belt release, release, then slide that hand to the door and unlatch.

Hopefully you won't need any of that info. Have fun on the trip. Keep in mind the water temp...hypothermia will ruin an otherwise nice day.

no sweat

Took a 182 jump plane from San Diego to Michigan. At one point, I had to cross from the U.P. to the L.P. The distance was like 50nm I believe...Climb up to 11,500 and just do it. If it takes a sh*t, you have lots of time to get your head and a$$ wired together. We did have Beaver Island and a couple of other small islands along the way, so there were options. Though if it's a strange airplane, or any airplane for that matter, I wouldn't make the crossing at night. Why push it? Have fun with it, and you'll be fine.

Latest resources

Back