• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Single Engine Over The Great Lakes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Re: Single Engine Over The Great Lakes?

Singlecoil said:
You are right, there are no FAR's against it under Part 91, but it is illegal under 135. In my opinion it would be a horrendously bad idea. You can bring a raft for yourself, but what about the airplane? Kiss it good-bye.

What about 135 would make it illegal? As long as you have the proper equipment (135.165, .167 and 91.205) it can be done legally. Again what is legal isn't necessarily safe and vice versa.

Don't forget the Canadian rules once you've crossed the border.

602.62 (1) No person shall conduct a take-off or a landing on water in an aircraft or operate an aircraft over water beyond a point where the aircraft could reach shore in the event of an engine failure , unless a life preserver, individual flotation device or personal flotation device is carried for each person on board.

(2) No person shall operate a land aeroplane, gyroplane, helicopter or airship at more than 50 nautical miles from shore unless a life preserver is carried for each person on board.

No life rafts required until 100 miles or more offshore.

From the Cleveland area, you could backtrack a bit to Sandusky and island hop north. There are plenty of strips (even some paved) on the islands on the US side and Pelee Island on the Canadian side offers 3300 feet of ashphalt. Then a short hop across to Point Pelee and head north-east for Toronto. Cleveland Center can provide flight following until you are up near London, Ontario. Then Toronto Center and Terminal can help out the rest of the way.

If the backtrack doesn't appeal to you, then flying the south shore of Lake Erie until you have the distance to cross or even going to almost Buffalo would be the way to go. Just be prepared to fly the north shore of Lake Ontario between Hamilton and Toronto at around 2500 feet or so.

If you do choose to cross out of gliding range of shore, figure the "point of no return" based on wind that will tell you which shore is closer. That will let you know if you should press on or turn around if you have a problem other than engine failure.

You should also mark on your map when each shore is within gliding range. If you lose your engine, that will let you know if you should make for shore, or start looking for a ship or buoy to ditch near.

Like the others said, water temperature is a big part of your plans. The Great Lakes are cold, and for most of the year, you won't last more than a few minutes treading water.

Well I for one have done the single engine over Lake Erie once. Remember I said ONCE! The trip was a day VFR flight to Put-in-bay in my Lance. (The glide ratio of a big rock with a lead weight attached to it) It really is amazing just how much your engine misses and oil pressure looks a little low once you've passed the shore line headed out over water.

If you are set on the trip, I would follow the shore line to from CLE to Toronto. Besides you would get to see the Falls from the air.

Good luck

If I were in a Caravan, PC-12, etc...I think I'd do it. But in a 172 - I'd be riding the shoreline - ESPECIALLY if it only adds a half hour to the trip time.

Re: Re: Re: Single Engine Over The Great Lakes?

cvsfly said:
What about 135 would make it illegal? As long as you have the proper equipment (135.165, .167 and 91.205) it can be done legally. Again what is legal isn't necessarily safe and vice versa.

You're right, I should have said it is illegal under 135 if you are carrying a passenger. 135.183

Delta3 said:
What is your opinion of flying over any of the Great Lakes in a single engine plane.

Well, 3 of the Great Lakes are completely frozen over right now, so flying over any one of those 3 doesn't present a problem. In fact, you probably couldn't find a better place to make an off-airport landing. Remember to bring your skates, though, just in case.

my 2 cents

Whats to say anyone will be in good enough shape to swim anywhere after a water landing?? Scrap the trip in a single engine plane its not worth it . Chas

Depends on the lake you choose - this year three out of five are frozen. :eek:

Not that you'd want to be stranded on an ice floe.

Latest resources

Back