Single Engine Over The Great Lakes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta3

What is your opinion of flying over any of the Great Lakes in a single engine plane. As far as I see there are no FARS that say you can't do it. Also, there are some islands in the lakes like Put In Bay in Lake Erie that can serve as emergency landing sites.

I'm not going to do this right now, but I was just thinking about flying from CLE-Toronto in a 172.

This is a very simple formula.

How far can I swim + Glide distance from current altitude to terra firma = How far off shore I would fly.

Delta3 said:
What is your opinion of flying over any of the Great Lakes in a single engine plane. As far as I see there are no FARS that say you can't do it. Also, there are some islands in the lakes like Put In Bay in Lake Erie that can serve as emergency landing sites.

I'm not going to do this right now, but I was just thinking about flying from CLE-Toronto in a 172.

You are right, there are no FAR's against it under Part 91, but it is illegal under 135. In my opinion it would be a horrendously bad idea. You can bring a raft for yourself, but what about the airplane? Kiss it good-bye.

This is one of those situations where you have to decide whether the risk is worth the trip. I personally wouldn't feel too comfortable doing it, but everyone has their own ideas as to what's an "acceptable" risk.

For example, I've flown plenty of trips in low IFR at night in a single. I know a lot of pilots that wouldn't. Some pilots don't fly at night in a single, period. So you just have to figure out what makes *you* comfortable, and decide.

Although you don't state your time in your profile, I gather from the rest that you're a pretty low time pilot (hey, so am I!). It's good that you're here asking questions before just merely launching.

Not smart. Lots of dead people would agree with me.

Legal does not imply safe.
Legal does not mean moral(does not apply here)
Immoral does not mean illegal.

Kind of hard on family members when people are missing and presumed dead- but no body to make it final.

Last edited:
not overly smart, I for one would not fly a single engine plane farther out than the distance that I could swim in a given time frame. (not very far). Would you fly a single engine training airplane in low IMC where you pop out right at minimums day after day.?? I for one would not. You loose that "one" engine, you are pretty much f$Ck$$ and out the mercy of "luck".... Bottom line is minimize your risks and vulnerability and you will live to fly another day.

c h e e r s

3 5 0

I tell you my thoughts...

-------all calculations are for a C172-------
Figuring in your route, I show that you cross the Lakes for a distance of 26nm. That really isn't too far.
1:40 minute flight from CLE - YKZ (183nm)

Figuring an alternate route without a cross over water is
231nm. Not too much further
2:09 minute flight from CLE - 9G0 (Buffalo) - YKZ

How well is this airplane maintained and if its good its still not the right attitude.

I have flown a c210 from Omaha to Grand Rapids Michicagan a dozen times which has me flying right over the lakes just north of chicago. No biggie....I got a little nervous just wondering what my options where and to be honest there aren't too many.

I never crossed below 10000 ft....not too much of an option in a C172.

What time of year are you doing this? Summer is a different ball game cause the water isn't too cold.
Get a life raft....Make sure your in radio contact at all time with a controller....

I used to fly into Nassau Bahaamas quite a bit on charters and i would see little AA5 Grummans and C172's that flew in from Miami. Thats a longer single engine jump then crossing the lakes.

Ive also flown direct from Key West to Miami Opa Locka in a C152 and that is 53nm over water.

For 14 years I flew out of DPA all around the Great Lakes with 206's and PA-32's, we always went around. With the temp of the lakes you are going to last 2 minutes in winter and 5 in the summer. But if you like the rush, go for it, do it at night you'll get more of a rush, a few times and you'll either prove yourself a fool or be convinced.

I forgot to add that I am not saying my actions were correct. I dont fly singles anymore and I have to be honest, its not the safest thing in the world. I used to do all those flights back when i was in college, not too long ago but before I really got cautious....You know the type...college pilots think their $hit doesn't stink :)

Be very very cautious. 26nm isn't far by any means, but a C172 isn't fast, and doenst fly too high,

I would take the Alternate route i figured which is to fly along the southern edge of the lake over to Buffalo and then turn north bound to Toronto.

Remember............If something can go wrong it will....at the worst possible time.

Re: Re: Single Engine Over The Great Lakes?

Singlecoil said:
You are right, there are no FAR's against it under Part 91, but it is illegal under 135. In my opinion it would be a horrendously bad idea. You can bring a raft for yourself, but what about the airplane? Kiss it good-bye.

Latest resources

Back