• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Single Engine Over The Great Lakes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would rather be a live chicken than a dead duck.

So I do not fly single engine at night outside the circuit, I do not fly single engine IFR in IMC. I do not fly single engine on wheels over water beyond gliding distance of land.

Also I do not fly single pilot IFR.

Cat Driver.

Living in Michigan I don't have too many choices ~not~ to fly over water without enduring substantial reroutes. Unless I'm heading south, I'm having to cross Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, or Lake St. Clair.

Cat Driver said:
I would rather be a live chicken than a dead duck.

So I do not fly single engine at night outside the circuit, I do not fly single engine IFR in IMC. I do not fly single engine on wheels over water beyond gliding distance of land.

Also I do not fly single pilot IFR.

Cat Driver.
Not many guys have the ability to not fly XC's at night or IFR in IMC in a single. Single pilot IFR in IMC is FUN!

Leave yourself at least two ways out (if not more) and give yourself every possible advantage. The money to rent a life perserver and wetsuit rated for the water temp is cheap and money well spent.

Gee, this thread died like 2 years ago. I remember this one though. No IMC in a single? Why not? If your flying something descent then who cares. Flying over the lakes in a single isn't that dangerous either man. To each his own.

Some thoughts.

I fly long over ocean ferry flights with multi engine aircraft, when looking at the water around Greenland I often wonder how I would feel in a single engine piston banger if it quit ( which they do sometimes ).

So if one quits in those areas what would your chance of survival be?

Cat

One guy went down between greenland and iceland during the winter, he was pulled out of the water in under an hour and was only a little cold. Another guy hit the water in a more populated and warmer area, they pulled him out 24+ hrs later.

Guess which one planned in advance?

Lrjtcaptain said:
I tell you my thoughts...

I have flown a c210 from Omaha to Grand Rapids Michicagan a dozen times which has me flying right over the lakes just north of chicago. No biggie....I got a little nervous just wondering what my options where and to be honest there aren't too many.

I never crossed below 10000 ft....not too much of an option in a C172.
I am reminded of the accident which prompted the Lycoming recall, where a Malibu had the crank break at altitude, and tried to glide to BEH. Didn't make it. No survivors.

Latest resources

Back