• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SIC at regional or PIC Twin Prop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is just a thought but since you have good total time, Part 121 experience and 1500 total PIC the Part 91 job might allow you to have the option of going to an airline as well as making contacts in the Part 91 world and maybe finding a good corporate position. You didn't say why you left the airlines (or flying altogether) but you will need to explain that. If the answer is your company went out of business or you got furloughed there is obviously no problem. The answer to your question is a tough one, I'm not sure there is a right answer. Good luck with whatever you choose to do, I'm sorry some people here had to take your thread and turn it into another Delta Vs. SW argument.

Fam,

You're right that this GA opportunity could open other doors, but moving on to a larger airline where it's less of a flight and more of a voyage (which is what I thought about my first DH to MCO from CVG on a 767 as a new FO a million years ago...and yes, it is a bit hokey) has always been the goal.

I took my airline's buy-out some time ago to spend time with my family before returning to the industry (or so I hope). I'm not sure how that will be viewed, but if negatively, that's ok...having that quality time with family was the most important.

Thanks.

--Ward

Another consideration- I imagine you're trying to get current so you can pursue a Major airline job-
Those are 121 carriers and Dash is 110% right, and the delta recruiter will tell you the same- more 121 time is better than 135 or 91.
But also consider the ability to jumpseat.
Assertively going after a major job means job fairs, flying out to make contacts with people you only know through friends and family- interview and sim prep, informal meet & greets with chief pilots, interviewing even-
It all gets a lot easier with a 121 ID you can jumpseat with

Last edited:
IMHO, it's six of one, half a dozen of another.

You have the boxes filled. No telling what the decision-maker is thinking. Maybe her husband ran off with a Baron owner. Maybe he thinks RJs are the scourge of the industry (even though he flew one for 6 years).

I'd go with the job that I'd be most happy with in the mean time.

IB,

Yeah, that would be my luck. Course it seems like someone is running off with someone else in this industry. :pimp:

--Ward

Burger,

I'll ask you the same as Dash...since I already have 11 years experience at a regional, would your opinion change if returning to a regional required a two-year training contract worth $20k?

I've done the airline thing and based on zero accidents or major incidents, I think rather well. I would think flying a 340 and/or Baron would be a bit more challenging for airmanship but I understand what you're saying about "doing the same job."

Thank you for the opinion.

--Ward

Ward,

Try and objectively put yourself in the seat of the interviewer considering these questions. You have one guy that is currently an FO on an RJ with these qualifications and another with the equal qualifications flying a piston driven twin. You can choose only one.

Who would you rather hire and fly with?

Ward,

Try and objectively put yourself in the seat of the interviewer considering these questions. You have one guy that is currently an FO on an RJ with these qualifications and another with the equal qualifications flying a piston driven twin. You can choose only one.

Who would you rather hire and fly with?

The one with the better personality, seriously!! :beer:

I'd be more interested in what the story was. What happened that this applicant went from RJ captain to FO at a regional or a piston driver? Did his previous company going out of business or was it something else?

You do have the magical PIC number, 1500 should be enough. Now just get current and fly something that keeps you current. It shouldn't be a traffic watch C152, but a twin prop should be good enough. Going back to SIC at a regional isn't a must to get a job. But, you do need to stay current in something complex I would say. A twin prop does that. Good luck!

Bye Bye---General Lee

I agree in a couple years all you will need is a pulse.

If you already have 6700 TT, >5000 CRJ and >1500 CRJ PIC.
as a regional jet driver, I don't think a few more ( years or hours ) is going to make a helluva lot of difference to a potential employer.

You've more than proven you can operate that equipment in the 121 / crew environment.

I am assuming, that the corporate twin is going to pay you about 2-3 times what regional F/O pays with a better schedule, better benefits, more time at home and probably no commute.

No brainer.... QOL rules in this case.

If you had NO previous regional experience the answer might be different, but if I understand the situation correctly you have already "been there, done that."

No sense in doing it again and screwing up your bank account and home life for another "X" amount of years....and who in heck KNOWS how many that could be?

The hands on the clock only turn one way....enjoy your life now flying your twin and add another facet of experience to your log books while applying furiously and relentlessly to any decent airline that happens to be hiring...

Whine

P.S. - I never flew for a regional. Never even applied. Went from a 900hr C-152 / CFI to a 116,000 lb ,121, four engine turboprop driver. 15 years in Boeings and then attempted retirement after my airline went T.U. Watched my friends go to regionals for 20k a year, for whatever reasons..." staying current", "121 flying " blah-blah-blah. 2 1/2 years later, without having flown anything over that time, and I walked into a 747 job.

"Regional, Schmegional." Not that there's anything WRONG with that...:)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back