SIC at regional or PIC Twin Prop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ward

Need opinions from the folks at national airlines and up...

I haven't flown 121 for a bit over a year but have > 6700 TT, >5000 CRJ and >1500 CRJ PIC.

I need to get myself current and am trying to decide between SIC at another regional (that may or may not have a training contract) or flying as PIC as a CFI and corporate pilot in a Baron and a Cessna 340.

So for the purposes of applying to > regional, what is your opinion?
1. PIC Part 91 twin prop
2. SIC Part 121 regional jet

Let's assume pay isn't a factor...it's just getting back into the swing of things.

I'm leaning towards option 1 as PIC since I have the magical 1500 jet PIC.

Appreciate the opinions.

--Ward

Need opinions from the folks at national airlines and up...

I haven't flown 121 for a bit over a year but have > 6700 TT, >5000 CRJ and >1500 CRJ PIC.

I need to get myself current and am trying to decide between SIC at another regional (that may or may not have a training contract) or flying as PIC as a CFI and corporate pilot in a Baron and a Cessna 340.

So for the purposes of applying to > regional, what is your opinion?
1. PIC Part 91 twin prop
2. SIC Part 121 regional jet

Let's assume pay isn't a factor...it's just getting back into the swing of things.

I'm leaning towards option 1 as PIC since I have the magical 1500 jet PIC.

Appreciate the opinions.

--Ward

You do have the magical PIC number, 1500 should be enough. Now just get current and fly something that keeps you current. It shouldn't be a traffic watch C152, but a twin prop should be good enough. Going back to SIC at a regional isn't a must to get a job. But, you do need to stay current in something complex I would say. A twin prop does that. Good luck!

Bye Bye---General Lee

This is always a good question. And you will always get varied opinions.

If you are interested in getting into the major airlines your resume will look better if you are flying for a regional. But doing anything is always better than nothing.

Best of luck.

If you are interested in getting into the major airlines your resume will look better if you are flying for a regional. But doing anything is always better than nothing.

Best of luck.

So corporate pilots don't get on with major airlines? I have heard of cases of Major airlines not hiring regional pilots from their own regionals because it could poach them away and cost more to the bottom line. That is not always the case, but it probably has occurred. I think if you already have the PIC turbine, and there is a good reason you left your previous employer (BK or furlough etc), then staying current on something complex is a good course of action. Getting a desk job for 3 years is not.

Bye Bye---General Lee

He said it would "look better" flying for a regional. He didn't say "corporate pilots don't get on with the major airlines."

Best of luck.

And whatever lee says to do, do the opposite as he's a career FO who's family likes him overseas as much as possible.

He said it would "look better" flying for a regional. He didn't say "corporate pilots don't get on with the major airlines."

That's his comprehension problem.
"FO Lee, let's see the gear."
"Yes, sir Captain, sir."
"I didn't mean for you to pull out YOUR gear. What IS wrong with you?"

So corporate pilots don't get on with major airlines? I have heard of cases of Major airlines not hiring regional pilots from their own regionals because it could poach them away and cost more to the bottom line. That is not always the case, but it probably has occurred. I think if you already have the PIC turbine, and there is a good reason you left your previous employer (BK or furlough etc), then staying current on something complex is a good course of action. Getting a desk job for 3 years is not.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Let me provide the OP's quote:

The General just has to feel he is the smartest guy in the room.

As an experience member of SWA's interview team I stand by my answer.

And whatever lee says to do, do the opposite as he's a career FO who's family likes him overseas as much as possible.

Hey, I called 25 min ago for you to dump the lavs, and it's still not done. Put on your gloves and face guard and get it done!

Bye Bye---General Lee

FO at Regional.

If I had to choose between two applications, and one was a Regional FO and one was flying a 340, I could choose the Regional FO everytime. As a Regional FO, you are doing the same job you are applying for.

Latest resources

Back