• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shuttle America over run

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Even if past the FAF, you cannot use the approach lights for guidance to go below MDA. They could've continued to MDA, but should have remained there until the runway was in sight and that is the only proper call to leave MDA.

Getting the approach lights, leaving MDA and finally seeing the runway at 50 Ft. is a no/no on Non- Precision approaches.

Is the A/P allowed to be on at 50 ft. in an E-170 ?

Doubt that.

Then the supposed inaction after the incident and the aircraft came to a stop ?

Pretty big hole dug by this crew, but hey at least they're alive. When they have the opportunity to get their licenses back after the revocation period (many thousands of dollars), they might be able to get a job flying ratty old Aztecs carrying checks.

If either does, hopefully, they won't repeat that mistake.

Even if past the FAF, you cannot use the approach lights for guidance to go below MDA. They could've continued to MDA, but should have remained there until the runway was in sight and that is the only proper call to leave MDA.

You can go below MDA with only the approach lights visible.

You can go down to 100' above TDZE with seeing only the approach lights.

actually, the autopilot is certified to 50'. (company imposed 200' limitation on non-precision, but 50 on an ILS)

B

You can go below MDA with only the approach lights visible.

You can go down to 100' above TDZE with seeing only the approach lights.
When the Visibility is below landing minimums you can't even shoot the approach. They did which was one of their many mistakes. The Captain said twice "this doesn't look good, we should go around", and did not take the Aircraft from the FO. Too many mistakes snowballed into this accident which should not have even happen. I am happy that everyone walked away unharmed,. I wish the 2 Pilots well and hope their future endeavors work out for them. Just keep them away from the controls of an airplane. I am however glad they are no longer employed with RAH.

Getting the approach lights, leaving MDA and finally seeing the runway at 50 Ft. is a no/no on Non- Precision approaches.

Is the A/P allowed to be on at 50 ft. in an E-170 ?

Doubt that.

Then the supposed inaction after the incident and the aircraft came to a stop ?

Pretty big hole dug by this crew, but hey at least they're alive. When they have the opportunity to get their licenses back after the revocation period (many thousands of dollars), they might be able to get a job flying ratty old Aztecs carrying checks.

If either does, hopefully, they won't repeat that mistake.
Yes you can use the autopilot to 50' on an ILS

When the Visibility is below landing minimums you can't even shoot the approach. They did which was one of their many mistakes. The Captain said twice "this doesn't look good, we should go around", and did not take the Aircraft from the FO. Too many mistakes snowballed into this accident which should not have even happen. I am happy that everyone walked away unharmed,. I wish the 2 Pilots well and hope their future endeavors work out for them. Just keep them away from the controls of an airplane. I am however glad they are no longer employed with RAH.

I realize that, but that wasn't the point of contention in my post.

If the captain said that, it is too bad he didn't follow his gut.

Even if past the FAF, you cannot use the approach lights for guidance to go below MDA.

Yes, you absolutely can:

Sec. 91.175 - Takeoff and landing under IFR.

...(c) Operation below DH or MDA. Except as provided in paragraph (l) of this section, where a DH or MDA is applicable, no pilot may operate an aircraft... below the authorized MDA or continue an approach below the authorized DH unless--
... (3) ... at least one of the following visual references for the intended runway is distinctly visible and identifiable to the pilot:
(i) The approach light system, except that the pilot may not descend below 100 feet above the touchdown zone elevation using the approach lights as a reference unless the red terminating bars or the red side row bars are also distinctly visible and identifiable...

They could've continued to MDA, but should have remained there until the runway was in sight and that is the only proper call to leave MDA.

A refresher on 91.175 might be in order.

Or Cat I precision approaches, for that matter. The "saw the runway at 50 feet" statement will probably hang them.

But as to your topic above, 100 feet is perfectly legal, precision or nonprecision.

Latest resources

Back