• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shuttle America over run

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Their alleged actions were in some letter your CEO blasted...

You mean this:
The flight deck crew reported the incident to the tower who notified CFR. CFR was on the scene
within 5 minutes of the incident. The passengers were still on the plane in their seats wondering
what just happened. They remained on the plane for 55 minutes until CFR unloaded them down
a step ladder. Again I am not in a position to second guess the crew as to why they chose not to
blow the slides and evacuate the passengers; what I do take exception to is the flight deck crew
never once made a public address to the passengers; never came out of the cockpit to see if their
passengers and crew were all okay. No apology, no communication whatsoever, nothing. I don’t
know how you feel about this, but I find this aspect of the incident to be the most disappointing.
That was issued 5 days after the accident. Thank you, Miles O'Brien.

I wasn't there, neither were any of you and neither was BB. I am not in a position to defend or condemn anyone and neither are any of you, BB included.

However, the fact remains (and my point is/was) that when anything happens here that gets the attention of the FAA (or has the potential to get the attention of the FAA) the crews are sacrificed on the altar of self-disclosure.

Last edited:
Was the airplane on fire? Was there a fuel leak? Did the fire services recommend a full evacuation? Now a PA is surely in order, but to risk injury evacuating everyone into the snow was probably not the right thing to do at the time. Stupid even to mention it.

Was the airplane on fire? Was there a fuel leak? Did the fire services recommend a full evacuation? Now a PA is surely in order, but to risk injury evacuating everyone into the snow was probably not the right thing to do at the time. Stupid even to mention it.

I'm pretty sure the gear collapsed...in that case you have to assume structural damage and fuel leaking (the fuselage and wings are not designed for off-roading).

As of yesterday the SA 170 was still in the Air Services hangar being put back together. A couple of weeks ago a giant stork came to CLE to deliver a brand new nose section to the CHQ mechanics in CLE where they are Frankensteining (is that even a word??) the thing together. Eventually it will be back in the air again and I should hope it will somewhere in the cockpit sport some sort of Humpty Dumpty sticker in honor of it's "being all put back together again" legacy.

And just as an aside to the topic. I was the flying pilot of the aircraft that landed just prior to the SA 170, and I can attest to you first hand that it was a really ugly time to be attempting to land on the shortest runway in CLE in a blizzard on a LOC only approach (that you found out about at the last minute..thanks CLE).

However, the fact remains (and my point is/was) that when anything happens here that gets the attention of the FAA (or has the potential to get the attention of the FAA) the crews are sacrificed on the altar of self-disclosure.

what probably got the attention of the FAA is what they said to the NTSB after the fact. I know thats what did it for me.

ntsb said:
He reported that after passing the final approach fix, they were informed that the RVR had decreased to 2,000 feet. The captain stated he had the approach lights in sight and at 50 feet above the ground, he had the runway in sight. He stated the first officer then turned off the autopilot to land. The captain stated that at 30 feet above the ground he momentarily lost sight of the runway. He stated he then regained sight of the runway and the airplane was landed. He stated they encountered strong gusty winds during the landing flare and after touchdown they could barely see the runway lights and taxiway turn-offs.

ntsb said:
The glideslope for the ILS runway 28 approach was unusable at the time of the accident due to the snow. The crew stated they were made aware of this by air traffic control when they were cleared for the approach to runway 28.

The weather reported at CLE at 1456 was: wind 300 degrees at 16 knots, 1/4 mile visibility, heavy snow, broken clouds at 600 feet, broken clouds at 1,500 feet, overcast clouds at 4,100 feet, temperature -7 degrees Celsius, dewpoint - 11 degrees Celsius, altimeter 30.01 inches of mercury.

The weather reported at CLE at 1517 was: wind 330 degrees at 13 knots gusting to 19 knots, 1/4 mile visibility, heavy snow, broken clouds at 300 feet, broken clouds at 1,000 feet, overcast clouds at 1,500 feet, temperature -8 degrees Celsius, dewpoint - 11 degrees Celsius, altimeter 30.03 inches of mercury.

As of yesterday the SA 170 was still in the Air Services hangar being put back together. A couple of weeks ago a giant stork came to CLE to deliver a brand new nose section to the CHQ mechanics in CLE where they are Frankensteining (is that even a word??) the thing together. Eventually it will be back in the air again and I should hope it will somewhere in the cockpit sport some sort of Humpty Dumpty sticker in honor of it's "being all put back together again" legacy.

And just as an aside to the topic. I was the flying pilot of the aircraft that landed just prior to the SA 170, and I can attest to you first hand that it was a really ugly time to be attempting to land on the shortest runway in CLE in a blizzard on a LOC only approach (that you found out about at the last minute..thanks CLE).

I flew into CLE that day too and I thought I recalled a NOTAM that the GS was out of service

I flew into CLE that day too and I thought I recalled a NOTAM that the GS was out of service

!FDC 7/3107 (KCLE A0785/07) CLE FI/T CLEVELAND-HOPKINS INTL, CLEVELAND, OH. ILS RWY 28, AMDT 22.... DUE TO EFFECTS OF SNOW ON THE GLIDE SLOPE MINIMUMS TEMPORARILY RAISED TO LOCALIZER ONLY FOR ALL CATEGORY AIRCRAFT. GLIDE SLOPE REMAINS IN SERVICE. HOWEVER, ANGLE MAY BE DIFFERENT THAN PUBLISHED.

and approach was clearing people specifically for "ILS runway 28 no glideslope".

Never seen a LOC approach authorized in 1/4 mile visibility.

Cleveland gets bad in the winter with vis/braking reports going up and down. Damn lake effect.

It is very possible that the previous a/c landed with good vis, and then a big snow band comes through and 5-10 mins later its a friggin mess.

If I remember correctly most of the glideslopes in CLE were out of service. This was during that time when we got like 2 feet of snow. Winters are harsh in CLE. You have to be on the top of your game when you see blowing snow with crosswinds, low vis. and the usual poor braking action. I'm not saying that they were not, just remember that if you find yourself in BEAUTIFUL CLE this winter.

Latest resources

Back