Shutdown

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gern_blanston said:
You can't be serious. I mean, I hope that's mindless flame-bait, because otherwise it's really really scary.

Prove me wrong. Very few companies pay what is fair. I'm not exactly a bat-swinging union or die man, but until unions came along safety, pay and working conditions were absurd. Compare the amount of work related deaths in the auto, aviation, and construction industries to the amount we have today.
Look at the fact that people are laid off in droves due to automation while pay decreases and product pricing remains high.
Please provide me with some examples of the many companies that voluntarily provide a good wage and benefits program for nonunionized employees.
Don't get me wrong. I love my job and overall I think NJA is a great place to work, especially after living througfh 2 airlines. But come on, $29,000 for a 3rd year FO who has over 3000 hours and a couple type ratings?

Last edited:
acaTerry said:
Don't get me wrong. I love my job and overall I think NJA is a great place to work, especially after living througfh 2 airlines. But come on, $29,000 for a 3rd year FO who has over 3000 hours and a couple type ratings?

My next question would be.. Why in the heck would anyone with over 3000 hrs. and a couple type ratings work for 3 years for under $29,000 ??? Why did you ? You obviously thought it was an acceptable wage at the start right ? We're just all very confused.

h25b said:
My next question would be.. Why in the heck would anyone with over 3000 hrs. and a couple type ratings work for 3 years for under $29,000 ??? Why did you ? You obviously thought it was an acceptable wage at the start right ? We're just all very confused.
Several posts ago you were telling us to stop fussing and fighting for a decent contract. Now you are asking us why don't we do something about it. You just answered your own question.
Yes, the job is good. I am quite happy with it. But happiness with the job does not pay the bills. All it needs to make this the perfect job for many of us is to pay now. This is where we are and this is where we'll be.
NetJets was a raise of about $10,000 from my airline job. So yes it was a step up. But the small step to a higher level of inadequate pay is just a stop along the way to getting what a professional pilot should make. Pilot pay is now at a nearly all time low. Dollar for dollar, throughout the industry we are making less now than we were 20 years ago.
NetJets' problems are not pilot induced---ask the owners. You'll see nearly 100% satisfaction with flight crews in the owner surveys. So why is it so hard to get a raise? Quitting is not the answer. This contract will settle sooner or later.

h25b said:

These comments aren't very helpful - in fact they're pretty condescending. The fact is that NJA pilots have been operating for years without a reasonable and fair contract by any definition - especially when compared to their counterparts flying the same aircraft on the corporate side. Does anyone think paying a Citation X Captain $60K per year is fair - even with the so-called stability and schedule? No sane person would consider that amount fair or reasonable.

NJA management has not been negotiating in good faith... I know people who have joined NJA with the expectation that the contract would improve to "acceptable" levels - a few have since departed because of the lack of progress.

Bottom line: NJA will continue to lose some of its more experienced and "safest" pilots if the situation does not improve. JetBlue, AirTran and SWA are ramping up and present themselves as better LONG-TERM career options given NJA's hostile and disrespectful employee environment.

I wonder how the owners would feel if they knew their many of their pilots were plotting their exit strategies...

Last edited:
acaTerry said:
Prove me wrong. Very few companies pay what is fair.

But you seem to have it backwards. The only company that DOESN'T pay fair is the one that is 'forced' to by a union. All of us working for companies that are not 'forced' to pay any certain amount are starting us above 6 figures and giving us stock options, bonuses, etc. Explain that!

Ace

Ace-of-the-Base said:
But you seem to have it backwards. The only company that DOESN'T pay fair is the one that is 'forced' to by a union. All of us working for companies that are not 'forced' to pay any certain amount are starting us above 6 figures and giving us stock options, bonuses, etc. Explain that!

Ace

How do you explain the other non-union frax then? Even NJI starts below 6 figs...

Hogprint said:
How do you explain the other non-union frax then? Even NJI starts below 6 figs...

NJA was the first, they set a president and the rest of the frax followed. The majority of the industry (19 and 135) are non-union and pay MORE.

Ace

On Your Six said:
....given NJA's hostile...employee environment.

Huh? My friend if I worked for a company that was actually hostile towards me I would not last another day. The more over-the-top and exaggerated your comments become the harder it is to believe anything else you post.

Ace,

You are correct with the above statement, but why would, say a Flex not pay more and try and bury the competition?

Prove me wrong. Very few companies pay what is fair.
What's 'fair'? Most employees are gonna' vote high, and most employers are gonna' vote low. No company is obligated to be 'fair'. Some companies are good to work for, some aren't. 'Fair' is what you get paid. If you aren't happy with it, you go somewhere else, if they can't find someone, they offer a little bit more. Just that simple.
Look at the fact that people are laid off in droves due to automation while pay decreases and product pricing remains high.
Easy. Companies exist to make a profit. If a company can't compete because the competition is using more robots for better Q/C and lower labor costs, they are forced to change their way of doing things, or they go out of business. How 'fair' is that? Adapt or die. It's like insisting that the corset factory keep producing hand-made corsets so the employees can keep their jobs. Ain't gonna' happen.
I repeat: Companies exist to make a profit.
Please provide me with some examples of the many companies that voluntarily provide a good wage and benefits program for nonunionized employees.
You can't be serious! You haven't been around much if you can't figger that one out. Some union's been pumping your head full if fairy tails. There are plenty of good jobs around that aren't union.
And you pretty much disprove your own point, don't you? I mean the low-paying job that you complain about is a union job, isn't it? This is why non-union guys like me scratch our heads.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back